Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times

Advertisements

I'd never heard of a Cane Corso until I got a part-time job at a veterinary clinic. There were two that were clients, and both looked nothing like your picture. They were huge dogs, yes, but both were big babies.

I think most people, when they first meet, whether online or in person, talk about themselves a bit, and if they have a pet, it comes up that first time. I have a 13 year old Boston Terrier who is deaf, "MY boy", who comes first in my life right now, so an allergy or dislike for dogs is a deal breaker. After he passes, then an allergic to dogs man is OK, but a man who DOES NOT LIKE ANIMALS is definitely a deal breaker. I don't know if I will be getting a pet again as I am getting older, but I will always be a pet lover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'd never heard of a Cane Corso until I got a part-time job at a veterinary clinic. There were two that were clients, and both looked nothing like your picture. They were huge dogs, yes, but both were big babies.

I think most people, when they first meet, whether online or in person, talk about themselves a bit, and if they have a pet, it comes up that first time. I have a 13 year old Boston Terrier who is deaf, "MY boy", who comes first in my life right now, so an allergy or dislike for dogs is a deal breaker. After he passes, then an allergic to dogs man is OK, but a man who DOES NOT LIKE ANIMALS is definitely a deal breaker. I don't know if I will be getting a pet again as I am getting older, but I will always be a pet lover.

Yeah my GF & would like to breed them not for money though thats the last reason to breed a dog. She has got 20 plus years working with dogs so thats a good start. She was even a vet tech for a while.
At 45 now... I can't see my life without a dog in it now anymore they have always brought so much joy into my life & I really want one though the rest of what life I have left.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
I am glad to see that others are so devoted to their animals. I've never met a man who I liked as much as my cat so until that happens, I can't envision myself choosing a guy over my cat. If he had a severe allergy and we wanted to get married, I'd probably ask my parents to let my cat live with them because she already knows them and they live close by, but it would be unimaginable to give her to anyone else.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I've kept a Brazilian wandering spider for years now. Maybe that's why I'm single.

Brazilian Wandering Spider - YouTube
The wandering part is probably what freaks the women out, sweetie. if it was stationary, no one would get freaked out.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously? Let me get this straight. You meet a guy. He rocks your world. The chemistry is there. But the minute you find out the poor guy has a dog, you basically cool it with him. Why? Because on the odd chance that you get married to him, your cat won't like his dog.

Do you not see how weird and nitpicking that is?

Unless you have allergies, you just handle it. I like my pets. I've always had either a cat or a dog. But it's just a damned cat or a damned dog. It is not a child (NOTE TO ALL MEN AND WOMEN: Never get involved with someone who views a pet as a surrogate child. Because the next thing you know, they'll start prating on about fairies and speculate how the stars in the sky are part of God's daisy chain. That is all). It is an animal with whom you enjoy your mutual company. And, in the case of a cat, it is an animal that tolerates you.

What's more, if you have a cat or a dog and this person who rocks your world has a violent allergy to said cat or dog, who do you choose? Sane people choose the S/O. For if you choose your dog or cat over the love of an amazing person, then you should be banned from the relationship forum permanently, because you don't deserve to have one. Your priorities are so completely out of whack that you should not inflict yourself on another living soul.

I mean, hell. MrsCPG had a hyperactive Brittany when we got married. The thing came to live us. I never said a word of protest (Unless the dog wouldn't stop barking at the cotton-picking UPS man across the street). Why? Because it was her damned dog. And I loved her enough to put up with the thing. Meanwhile, I had inherited a cat from a girlfriend who, whenever MrsCPG came over to visit, would sit in the middle of the room and take a massive dump while looking straight at us. The cat figured out pretty quickly who was in charge after that.

Guess what? The cat and the dog got used to us both and to each other. When we brought her dog to our house, the cat was in the back yard. She sashayed up to the picket fence and Laurel stuck her snout through. Easy as you please, the cat strolled up and gave Laurel three or four swift bops on the nose before the dog could pull back through the fence. After the cat established who was boss, they got along fine. So deal with it already.
Mostly you seem like a well-reasoned person, but you have this thing about certain deal-breakers (political views is the other one) that verges on rabid militancy. And then you stake your ground in the extreme opposite territory from the OP that leaves no room for moderation.

I grew up with a literal kennel in my backyard. From the time I could talk, I was working with dogs, interacting with them, caring for them. Normalcy for me, when I was walking around my dad's property as a kid, was to have three or four dogs at my heels. I have had extended periods of my life where there were no dogs in my house, and it always felt like there was a huge hole. A large percentage of my friends are involved in dog sports (which I'm also getting involved in beyond just being a spectator, now that all my animals aren't over the age of 12). I don't anthropomorphize them or fetishize them or value them over humans, but dogs are my hobby and one of my chief enjoyments.

A long time ago, due to some complicated factors, my dog was living at my father's house because I could not have her at my apartment (I'd work with her after work and on weekends). My father and I had a falling out, and he told me I needed to find a new home for my dog. Finding a new place to live was a financial impossibility, so I was stuck. The therapist I was seeing at the time suggested to me "Well, you've never really been without a dog, so maybe this is a good thing. You can find her a new home and figure out if you really are a dog person."

My best friend, who grew up with many animals in her life and then became a veterinarian, thought this was hysterical. "Yeah," she said. "Maybe you're not a dog person. Maybe you're not a spleen person either - technically you don't need that either. Or arms. You could do without arms. You've never tried it before, after all."

Choosing to give up my dogs would be like choosing to give up my writing or my books - things that are fundamental to my enjoyment of life. I would do it for a loved one should they develop a condition that made those things impossible to continue, but I will not start up a relationship with someone knowing that I would have to sacrifice something vitally important to me and my personal happiness just to be with them. There is no "One" out there - and my life is pretty happy without a partner in it.

For the record, I'm on the relationships board because I find it interesting and many of the posters (including you much of the time) insightful, not because I'm desperate to find a partner to make my life complete, which is what you seem to be implying is the only reason for someone to post here. The whole reason I find it interesting is the diversity of views, which you kind of take a crap on when you make with the "banned for life" hyperbole.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My GF & I want one of these a Cane Corsos She already has a pitt bull who is the sweetest little dog.
That looks like pure muscle. Might take some getting used to for some, but I'm sure it would be just as lovable as any. I know the guy's pet I reference earlier had a doberman, I was terrified at first, but ended up loving that big protective powerful playful sloppy clumsy mushy boy dog more than I could ever imagine.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
That looks like pure muscle. Might take some getting used to for some, but I'm sure it would be just as lovable as any. I know the guy's pet I reference earlier had a doberman, I was terrified at first, but ended up loving that big protective powerful playful sloppy clumsy mushy boy dog more than I could ever imagine.

I've been doing a lot of reading about these dogs & they were first used as working/hunting dogs. So they are very powerful dogs but as very loving & wanting to please thier new family. Freaking dogs are EXPENSIVE though!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading about these dogs & they were first used as working/hunting dogs. So they are very powerful dogs but as very loving & wanting to please thier new family. Freaking dogs are EXPENSIVE though!!!

You want powerful? My daughter louie (named for Louis Vuitton ) expensive not. LOL my second grandbaby
Attached Thumbnails
Problems With Dating Someone With Pets-rosa-grandpupie-2011-louie-008.jpg  

Last edited by TRosa; 12-13-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
You worry about it too much. When we were thinking of adopting a dog, we had the foster bring him over to see how he'd do with the cats, and how the cats would do with him. Both our cats at the time were declawed and not all that young, up in their teens.

To set the stage...45lb chocolate lab puppy, he was under a year. Full of energy, wants to sniff the world. Comes in my house, sniffs and runs around, makes for the door to be let out...great! He's house trained! Lets see how he does with the cats. Cat number one, my male, comes around, growls at him, gives him the evil cat eye but they ignore each other. Great! Then the female cat comes around. She's sitting on the stairs growling at the dog, he could care less, he's getting attention from the wife. Then...BOOM! 12 pounds of declawed, not-so-young cat lands on this dogs back like a sack of bricks. I kid you not, she rode him around the living room like a cowboy. He ran around my wife, tail tucked between his legs with a yowling cat on him. She dropped off and pranced away like she was queen of the house, the dog didn't know WHAT to do. We didn't adopt the dog for two reasons. I didn't want a rodeo in my house, and I didn't see the need to put the dog through THAT mess again. The cats will take care of themselves, don't worry too much about it. Just watch them when you first bring them together.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
She's sitting on the stairs growling at the dog, he could care less, he's getting attention from the wife. Then...BOOM! 12 pounds of declawed, not-so-young cat lands on this dogs back like a sack of bricks. I kid you not, she rode him around the living room like a cowboy. He ran around my wife, tail tucked between his legs with a yowling cat on him. She dropped off and pranced away like she was queen of the house, the dog didn't know WHAT to do. We didn't adopt the dog for two reasons. I didn't want a rodeo in my house, and I didn't see the need to put the dog through THAT mess again. The cats will take care of themselves, don't worry too much about it. Just watch them when you first bring them together.
LOL, that's funny! My cat can probably be a little feisty too when need be. She even tries to attack me sometimes, but in a loving way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships