Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Fun? No.

I'm actually not joking, at least when it comes to traditional Asian cultures. In such families, selecting the partner to your children, sons especially, is extremely serious business. They don't have concepts of dating or romance in the Western sense. Romance comes later, if at all. Financial stability, good family background, good moral quality, all of this comes before that.

As for a Westernized women, I can't imagine why they, would all the freedom available to them, would not want dating to be fun.
I'm only peripherally familiar with arranged marriage, as a concept - not in practice. I was always under the impression that there was betrothal according to family linkage - is this not the case, then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I'm only peripherally familiar with arranged marriage, as a concept - not in practice. I was always under the impression that there was betrothal according to family linkage - is this not the case, then?
Well, I don't want to give you the wrong impression. Arranged marriages in the East Asian countries and more modern South East Asian countries like Singapore or Malaysia are dying out. India is probably the most modern Asian country that still widely practices arranged marriages in the most pure definition of the word; whereby the parents will contact the other family with or without the help of a matchmaker, and conduct it like two companies conducting a merger, with little to no input from the bride or groom.

Outside of India there is a sort of soft version of arranged marriage, depending on how conservative the familiy is. In the major cities like Hong Kong, Seoul or Tokyo no doubt there are plenty of Westernized kids now who can date as they wish, without parental interference. Once you move to the rural areas though, you still have families suggesting or pushing their kids to certain matches, usually within the same community. Generally families with daughters want to marry up, status wise- thus in a small town or village, the farmer's daughter might go with the headman or elder's son. That would be a good match.

It gets interesting when you have traditional families bringing up their kids here in the States. Hence why you see threads about culture clashes or "Will his/her parents approve of me?". These children are getting their chance to date inter racially and inter culturally for the first time, much to their parents horror.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I'm actually not joking, at least when it comes to traditional Asian cultures. In such families, selecting the partner to your children, sons especially, is extremely serious business. They don't have concepts of dating or romance in the Western sense. Romance comes later, if at all. Financial stability, good family background, good moral quality, all of this comes before that.
Yeah, interesting cause the girl I mentioned in my first post was Chinese (grew up there, moved to LA 7 or 8 years ago). She had a sense of humor and everything, was pretty good looking in my opinion, but the "I don't date for fun" mentality was tough to get around. She was 32 at the time, as was I.

Looking back on it, I wonder why she even went out with me in the first place? In the Match world, she must've received tons of messages, yet she responded to mine and went on a date with me...even though I definitely didn't fit the description of her long-term ideal mate.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Reps, this is my approach to dating (and to life).

I think I may have actually met the girl of my dreams too. Seriously, I've been on a LOT of dates, and always lived by the bolded mantra. Just when I least expected it, I've found somebody REALLY awesome.
Dating only became fun for me the more of them I went on. It allowed me to really explore my options. The period of time that I was searching for a mate was really a tough time for me dating. It seemed when I was calm and collect, the women wanted me more compared to when I was more desperate.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Then, what does she date for?

I mean really, if you don't see dating as something fun (or that's supposed to be fun), then why even bother?
I think the statement comes from a person being physically attracted to the other person, but that person isn't physically attracted to them. So, while they are really into the date, the other person is hoping they get home in time to watch Honey Boo Boo. Hence, I don't date for fun! It's a defense mechanism to cope with rejection, the same as saying, "I have enough friends and I don't need another one." Usually make that comment when you are being rejected by someone of the opposite sex that you like, but the feeling isn't mutual.

Dating still requires two people to be in sync, and look how often both people are out of sync.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
I feel like 9 times out of 10 if you are laid back and willing to have fun (nothing sexual), you will get a second date. If your acting like an HR rep for a fortune 500 company, then you will never fill that position that you seemed to be hiring someone for.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
why date when women will judge you as a beta male at the drop of a hat? what's fun about being compared unfavorably to someone's previous lovers? what's fun about even having been born except that our parents had us because they were in love because back in those days our parents didn't have any previous partners to compare each other to. easier days indeed

Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,057 times
Here's what I do for fun in dating: First date, I usually play tennis, go cycling, hiking, ice skating followed by coffee or lunch. That way, I get to be outside, be active, do stuff I like to do anyway, and also get to know them in a low key relaxed atmosphere.

No reason you can't have fun and still get to know them.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,907 times
I think that people these days are just way too serious all around about everything.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
See what I mean
In the country where I live, having sex is a perfectly accepted dating activity at any age. Since women generally hold the power over men in this country, they are generally the ones to decide. It is impossible to talk a danish girl/woman into having sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships