Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It does seem hard to approach women these days.

Any public place, they just want their own personal space and they act like you overstepped a boundary if you try to talk to them.

At a bar or club they're either talking to their friends or on their phones. It seems people don't go out to meet people anymore.
Disagree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:

Any public place, they just want their own personal space and they act like you overstepped a boundary if you try to talk to them.

At a bar or club they're either talking to their friends or on their phones. It seems people don't go out to meet people anymore.

As bad as online dating is I think it's your best bet these days, aside from random social events of knowing people through friends etc.

Or contacting people you used to go out with-lol That's been working for me the past 3 weeks

Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Ok let's see the data then
Quote:
Growing Marriage Gap

Results from the Census Bureau's CPS, released in September 2010, show that the decline in marriage rates continued in 2010.5 Marriage rates have dropped among all major racial/ethnic groups and for both men and women. However, there are substantial differences in marriage trends by level of education. CPS data show that those with only a high school diploma (or less) have experienced a steep decline in marriage during the past decade. In contrast, marriage rates have held fairly steady for those with at least a bachelor's degree.

Between 2000 and 2010, the proportion of young adults who are married dropped 10 percentage points (to 44 percent) for those with a high school diploma or less. For those with at least a bachelor's degree, the percent married dropped only 4 percentage points, to 52 percent. This divergence in trends has led to a growing "marriage gap" between those at different ends of the educational scale.6

The marriage gap used to be reversed. Prior to the 1990s, marriage rates among those with a high school diploma or less were higher than those with a four-year college education. The college-educated were more likely to postpone marriage compared with those in less-educated groups. Marriage rates today look very different, with higher proportions of young, highly educated adults entering formal unions, and a sharp drop among those with less education.
In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels - Population Reference Bureau
Quote:
Does this change over time? Do women in their 20's marry the equal less (or more) than women in their 40's, 50's, 60's?

And this isn't the information that you first indicated that you would provide.
Yes, it is. If you go back to the beginning of this conversation you will see, again, that the OP is saying that he has all the things women ask for (job, education, etc)...all the things the kind of women he's interested in are looking for. Jack then erroneously piped in and stated that women- no "girls" say one thing, but then want another. I said he's speaking of girls, not women because women who say they want a guy with this or that level of education, job, etc indeed mean it. The women that say it tend to be educated, professionals, etc. This is shown by marriage demographics.

Anyhow, to review how we look at the inevitable changing dating priorities that take place as we age...
Quote:

Similar to the Casual Dating approach is the Exclusive Dating approach. Both value dating as an activity for social enjoyment, as well as self-education. Exclusive dating may be thought of as the “next step” from casual dating, and indeed commonly tends to grow out of casual dating. When exclusively dating, you are not only learning more about yourself, but also consciously aware of what you are learning about your partner. Which characteristics can you see yourself living with for the rest of your life? Which make you want to run away and never date again? “Through several short-term relationships, students can find personalities with which they are most compatible,” claims Matt West, a writer at the University of Virginia. “Relationships at this age allow you to explore what you like and don’t like in a partner” agrees Mary Anne Knapp, a clinical social worker. Through a series of exclusive relationships, one forms a model of the ideal spouse (Pleiss, 2003, p. 1).
College Dating, by Gordon E Seirup

Note the Pleiss citation. What is key here is that it shows there is a development happening (these are young college kids). As I stated initially, "Young girls are willing to experiment, date around, fool around, etc. It's just a different phase in life." Matured adults are past the experimentation stage and on to mate selection.

Quote:
Again, that's not the point in contention
I have no idea what your point of contention is. This inquiry is quite stupid. You want proof that water wets and I don't understand why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I was just kidding. I don't get how the human brain doesn't fully develop until the age of 25. I know tons of people past the age of 25 that have achieved little more than dirt.
Just because the human brain matures around 25 doesn't guarantee anything. It highlights the biochemical change that occurs to the personality over time with maturity.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 12-15-2012 at 07:53 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels - Population Reference Bureau

Yes, it is. If you go back to the beginning of this conversation you will see, again, that the OP is saying that he has all the things women ask for (job, education, etc)...all the things the kind of women he's interested in are looking for. Jack then erroneously piped in and stated that women- no "girls" say one thing, but then want another. I said he's speaking of girls, not women because women who say they want a guy with this or that level of education, job, etc indeed mean it. The women that say it tend to be educated, professionals, etc. This is shown by marriage demographics.

Anyhow, to review how we look at the inevitable changing dating priorities that take place as we age...
College Dating, by Gordon E Seirup

Note the Pleiss citation. What is key here is that it shows there is a development happening (these are young college kids). As I stated initially, "Young girls are willing to experiment, date around, fool around, etc. It's just a different phase in life." Matured adults are past the experimentation stage and on to mate selection.

I have no idea what your point of contention is. This inquiry is quite stupid. You want proof that water wets and I don't understand why.

Just because the human brain matures around 25 doesn't guarantee anything. It highlights the biochemical change that occurs to the personality over time with maturity.
A lot of work but I say you win!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,120 times
Quote:

As bad as online dating is I think it's your best bet these days, aside from random social events of knowing people through friends etc.
If you see a girl you like, approach her. Most want to be approached.

And the ones that don't are practice for the ones that do.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 AM

230 posts, read 525,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Women don't make any rules and the only people that are confused are the ones who give a sh*t.

Why are you trying to figure out what a woman wants? That's stupid. Just be yourself, talk to them and do whatever you feel like doing.
Even if women don't make the rules, they still accept and perpetuate them on men.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 AM

230 posts, read 525,974 times
Quote:

Exactly. The expectation is that men are supposed to do the approaching, but women create a shell around themselves and come off as cold and unapproachable on purpose.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
Women say damn near every form of approaching them is a terrible idea

Don't approach her at work - you could get fired
Don't approach her where she works - she's just trying to earn money and doesn't care about you
Don't approach her at the gym - she's just trying to work out
Don't approach her at the bar/club - she's just there to have fun with her friends
Don't approach her on the street - it's creepy
Don't approach her at every other location imaginable because of X, Y and Z reasons

So what's going on here? Do 99.99% of people just find their partner through their small social circle? Are you doomed to be alone if you don't have any friends who know single girls?

I don't mean to sound bitter in the slightest bit, just curious what one is supposed to do
Women say that. The key is..... if the guy doing the approaching meets her potential criteria she really doesn't care where it is. As a guy nore do I, anywhere is fair game (with a couple of exceptions) as long as she possibly meets my criteria.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
I tried online dating but got nowhere after I sent out about 40 messages (not one response)

That's something where you have to be almost a standup comic in terms of delivering super witty/funny/unique profile and messages. I am very bland in terms of my actual conversations topics...I can just make people like me cause I come across a certain way (very friendly, honest, genuine). None of those things are possible in an online message cause there is no emotion there

As far as your starbucks thing goes, that's not a bad idea for those who can do that (which I have a lot of respect for). For me, it's incredibly awkward
I have been at parties and drinking all weekend, so I am just getting to this today.

ONLY 40 messages? My success ratio is low with the messages I send out but that does not stop me from trying. Believe me, if you send out a hundred messages the 5 or 6 replies you get far outweigh the 90+ no responses you get.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Perhaps the female members of this forum aren't exactly representative of the population of the US as a whole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships