Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,675,540 times

Advertisements

Women say damn near every form of approaching them is a terrible idea

Don't approach her at work - you could get fired
Don't approach her where she works - she's just trying to earn money and doesn't care about you
Don't approach her at the gym - she's just trying to work out
Don't approach her at the bar/club - she's just there to have fun with her friends
Don't approach her on the street - it's creepy
Don't approach her at every other location imaginable because of X, Y and Z reasons

So what's going on here? Do 99.99% of people just find their partner through their small social circle? Are you doomed to be alone if you don't have any friends who know single girls?

I don't mean to sound bitter in the slightest bit, just curious what one is supposed to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,944,508 times
Just approach them whenever/where ever you feel like it.
If they aren't interested, they are usually good at letting you know directly or indirectly.
Most rules are meant to be bent or broken.

Just mentally prepare yourself for some potential harsh rejection, especially if you don't do it right, or if you don't have the right 'look', depending on what part of the country you are in.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,437,509 times
There are no rules, really.

I've met and dated women at work, at her work, at school, at the dojo, at a club, at social events, in my social circle, and online - just not on the street. I never actually try to "pick them up" - just engage in friendly conversation and wait to see if she gives off any signals worth pursuing.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I never actually try to "pick them up" - just engage in friendly conversation and wait to see if she gives off any signals worth pursuing.

Nice, that's the right way to do it regardless of anything else. I don't want to make anybody feel like a piece of meat

Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,218,022 times
You need to stop taking advice from women about how to get women.

Just approach. The only situation where you have to be careful is at work.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM

362 posts, read 558,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
Women say damn near every form of approaching them is a terrible idea

Don't approach her at work - you could get fired
Don't approach her where she works - she's just trying to earn money and doesn't care about you
Don't approach her at the gym - she's just trying to work out
Don't approach her at the bar/club - she's just there to have fun with her friends
Don't approach her on the street - it's creepy
Don't approach her at every other location imaginable because of X, Y and Z reasons

So what's going on here? Do 99.99% of people just find their partner through their small social circle? Are you doomed to be alone if you don't have any friends who know single girls?

I don't mean to sound bitter in the slightest bit, just curious what one is supposed to do
Try online dating.... it would be the only venue where you can be sure the woman is looking for a date.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,090,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
You need to stop taking advice from women about how to get women.

Just approach. The only situation where you have to be careful is at work.
I don't think that's the problem. I think that when you look for problems - you find them.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
Try online dating.... it would be the only venue where you can be sure the woman is looking for a date.

Online dating is a joke

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,362,991 times
Quote:
Women say damn near every form of approaching them is a terrible idea.
Funny, I've known many hundreds of women in my life and I have never once heard any of them say anything remotely like this. Once a friend of mind was propositioned when she was just coming out of a restroom, she did think that was tacky. But making a pass in a public bathroom is an extreme example. Many years ago I knew a GF who had a pass made at her when she was at her sister's funeral. That was also simply w-r-o-n-g. But these are extremely rare instances.

I sense that women may not want you to approach them and they've given off this vibe so you're frustrated and bitter. Otherwise your thesis makes no sense because it's such plain ridiculous. There are few bad places or bad times to approach a single, available woman. Just make sure it's not in a restroom or a funeral and you should be fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM

29,651 posts, read 34,150,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't think that's the problem. I think that when you look for problems - you find them.
Exactly. OP's biggest problem is making excuses and assuming that every woman he comes across has a reason that she wouldn't go out with him (without actually asking her.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships