Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times

Advertisements

[quote=dub dub II;27364127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Wow, it always shocks me when people say their motivation is finding someone to be in a relationship with. So say you get to 30 and find that person. The average American will live more than twice that. What do you do with the rest of that /QUOTE]

Anything you want!
It's just, now, you can't because you're holding out on the best of life in order to share it with someone else.

Basically, I can't have the dream life without the girl.
And what could you possibly bring to a relationship with said mythical girl, if you acknowledge that there's no way for you to be happy on your own (i.e., you won't be happy upon meeting the girl)? Nobody wants an unhappy person, especially one who is figuratively screaming, "I'll only be happy once I have YOU in my life!!!" . Trust me. Somebody who cannot find happiness, and is sitting and waiting for that one amazing person to make their life okay is NOT an attractive candidate for a relationship

And what happens, if, by some miracle, you GET that person in your life, she by some strange twist of fate doesn't run screaming from someone so emotionally dependent, and then, you find out after the fact that, whoops...it WASN'T getting the girl that will make you happy, after all. Turns out, you're still dissatisfied. Must be something ELSE lacking. Maybe it would be better with another girl...only that doesn't fill the void, either...and so on, and so forth.

People who don't know how to take ownership of their own happiness and satisfaction often don't have the first clue what it is that will make them happy. They are putting it all on other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,022,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I remember an old Alicia Keys song...in it she categorizes people in four different ways.
Those who live for the fortune, those who live for the fame, those who live for the power, and those who live to play the game.

Which category would you fall into? And even if you did (or have ) achieved what you live for, does it really mean anything if you don't have someone to share it with?
I don't think I fit any of those. My motivation is to find my purpose and fulfill it and take in every lesson.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
I remember an old Alicia Keys song...in it she categorizes people in four different ways.
Those who live for the fortune, those who live for the fame, those who live for the power, and those who live to play the game.

Which category would you fall into? And even if you did (or have ) achieved what you live for, does it really mean anything if you don't have someone to share it with?
First, no offense, but I am amused by your reference to an "old" Alicia Keys song.

Second, her categories leave no room for altruism or selflessness. If I had to pick, I guess "play the game" is closest, but only because I do not live for the other things, and I do not even want power or fame.

I'd rather live like Steve Miller's joker.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,504 times
Quote:

I just like having a good time.

Anything else that happens is a bonus.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This well-known adage, usually attributed (and generally considered to be incorrectly thusly attributed) to Emerson, has long sat on my desk, wherever I've worked:

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

Pretty well sums it up, for me, nothing in it with which I can personally argue.
Perfectly said.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,130 times
I exist, and I had no role in making that decision. However, since I'm here, my only motivation is to continue in my existence. In the process of doing that, I want my life to be as free of stress and pain as possible. For me, the best way to do that is to interact with others in a peaceful and respectful manner.

However one defines happiness, it is ultimately never to be found external of oneself. No person, place, or thing will bring you happiness. Be comfortable with yourself. If you happen to meet someone to share your life with, incorporate that relationship into who and what your are.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,307 times
Quote:

I live for the power...

Self explanatory

Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,573 times
My motivation in life is my happiness so likely I fall into 'those who live for the power' or 'those who live to play the game'.

I have achieved what I live for and simply go further and it means plenty to mean if I don't have someone to share it with in the romantic/sexual partner way. I don't see much worth in having a guy as I'd likely get far better sexual pleasure than a guy and far better intimacy, companionship, and connection from friends, family, a pet, a rock than a guys.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,026 times
If you don't want it, don't be surprised if you don't get it.
It's why some people get it more often than others.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
If you don't want it, don't be surprised if you don't get it.
It's why some people get it more often than others.
And what, pray tell, is "it" supposed to be??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships