Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
In my circle of friends we tend to pay for eachother. It all circles around eventually. They get the drinks or apps at night, I bring coffee and bagels in the morning...etc.
It's the same in my circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Generally, we all pay for ourselves, male and female, unless one of us decides to treat the other(s). I often get my snacks paid for when it's just me and the guys out at the bar because I don't really drink, not because I'm female. Their bar tabs are usually far more than the appetizer and iced tea I ordered, and I'm available to drive them home if necessary. Of course, now that I live across the country, when I go home everybody's buying me dinner/drinks/lunch/whatever and yells at me if I try to pay.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsEnvy View Post
Does it mean anything?
On rare occasions, i'll do things like cover the tip or pay for a drink for my female friends. This weekend it meant a free ride home from DC which allowed me to avoid a hassle getting home (WMATA SUCKS!) (the girl wasn't drunk. )

Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
If someone else offers to pay, I say thank you.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Default Just being a friend.

I have only 2 female friends that I see maybe once a year. I paid for one once or twice. One is married and another was a coworker. No intentions behind it, I do the same for my male friends that I see very often, Occasionally might grab the check.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Guy friends pay for me a lot. I'm not sure why, but I presume it's a manly thing they think they need to do. I prefer to pay my own way with friends or there's that question that lingers (much like the OP).

Like others said, it usually comes back around to them.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,896 times
I pay for female friends all the time I take it that's not really what you had in mind.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsEnvy View Post
The reason behind this question is that I went to the movies with a friend who I sort of have a crush on, I was the one who asked if he wanted to see the movie, and he paid. I'm not delusional, I know that it probably doesn't mean anything at all...but I figured that I would hear some opinions anyways Thanks everyone!
When I was a young adult, considering where I grew up, I was making pretty good money for my age. Especially compared to some of my friends. Because of this, I would pay for the occasional drink or meal regardless of gender. And many people would try to take advantage of this.
But, I think it depends on what kind of 'friend' are we talking about? The concept for friend has changed quite a bit for me since my early 20's. .
Would I pay for a 'friend' that was always looking for handouts or was the last to reach for the bill ? No, but if someone was a genuine friend, I didn't mind paying from time to time. But, usually, my genuine friends would pay another time, and we would be square. But if you were genuine, AND broke, I would pay from time to time without any expectation for repayment.

Oh, and one of my tests to determine if you are 'cool'....
Depending on the situation, if we don't know each other very well, if I buy you a drink, and you don't buy me a drink soon after, I will mentally note that. You immediately lose A LOT of cool points. could be 50, donno. But a lot.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I didn't say you couldn't afford to pay for yourself. All I said was...people should pay for themselves especially if it's friends. The thread is asking about male friends paying for women. A woman friend should pay her own way and the same with the male friend. That's all, that's it.
Why the heck do you care if people want to pay for their friends or vice versa???

There is no right or wrong if both parties are happy with the arrangement...

Human relationships aren't business transactions. I've enjoyed someone's company and picked up the tab and my friends have enjoyed my company and picked up the tab.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Why the heck do you care if people want to pay for their friends or vice versa???

There is no right or wrong if both parties are happy with the arrangement...

Human relationships aren't business transactions. I've enjoyed someone's company and picked up the tab and my friends have enjoyed my company and picked up the tab.

I said it numerous times -- I don't care what other people are doing. If you bothered to read before posting, you would've come across that.

I answered the question for the sake of the thread which is what YOU were supposed to do otherwise, no, I don't care.

Not everyone is going to want others to pay their way for things nor see the point of doing so, especially if it's just friends. Apparently I'm not the only one in the thread with this opinion. Beauty of choice. Go somewhere and deal with that.

good for you and your friends, I didn't ask what all you do with them. I don't give a sh*t.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 12-17-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships