Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times

Advertisements

Idk what it is with some of the men I date. I've been proposed to twice before after making it crystal clear I dont believe in marriage. It's like they get a time frame or idea in their minds and everything I've said over the last 2 or 3 years just goes out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. Those are perfect. Rather than feel sorry for those guys, I always think "Serves you right for staging some corny public event that puts your girlfriend on the spot."
Also, "serves you right for not being sure of her feelings before you popped the question."

Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Idk what it is with some of the men I date. I've been proposed to twice before after making it crystal clear I dont believe in marriage. It's like they get a time frame or idea in their minds and everything I've said over the last 2 or 3 years just goes out the window.
You should take it as a compliment that men see you as marriage material.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You should take it as a compliment that men see you as marriage material.
No kidding. Oh poor me, woe is me, I keep getting proposed to, whatever will I do.

I think you could have much bigger problems than people wanting to marry you. Make it clear that if he proposes, you won't accept. That's it.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
No kidding. Oh poor me, woe is me, I keep getting proposed to, whatever will I do.

I think you could have much bigger problems than people wanting to marry you. Make it clear that if he proposes, you won't accept. That's it.
It is annoying because its a lengthy process, when you love someone, to move past saying "no". It takes probably as much time as cheating would, and sometimes the relationship never fully recovers.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
It is annoying because its a lengthy process, when you love someone, to move past saying "no". It takes probably as much time as cheating would, and sometimes the relationship never fully recovers.
Well, also, there is a manipulative element to it. He's probably thinking "Well how can she say no if she loves me and I've bought a ring (and have possibly asked her to marry me in front of a huge crowd of people who will think she's a ***** for refusing)?"

Old 12-18-2012, 02:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,302 times
Quote:
I'm just grumpy today so that probably came off meaner than I intended.

Honestly if I felt how you do about marriage, I would make it very, very, VERY clear from the start that I wouldn't say yes, regardless of circumstances. Discourage it from early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships