Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think this would be true if you had a huge chip on your shoulder. I only suggest it when I can read that someone has a real problem with toxic relatives who have essentially trained them to think one way and they can't see how real, healthy relationships should work, so they need an objective, trained outside advisor.

I've seen many therapists over the years, some covered by insurance, some not. All great professionals except one, never the "writing their grocery list during my session" kind mentioned before. Talking about the latest book is not therapy.

The thing is that it is expensive: The best I ever saw charged $110 per session, and when we changed insurance and it wasn't covered sometimes I would save up to go see him.

If I wanted to feel superior to others, why would I bother to suggest therapy? I would just say, "Dude, you are seriously f*cked up! SO glad I'm not you." For real. How does saying "see a counselor" elevate me?

When I say "try to see a therapist," I mean it. I say it because it's helped me over the years. To suggest that it's offered in order to feel superior is the pot calling the kettle black.
Depends on how perceptive the therapist is and how she uses that information to guide the session. The therapist I've gotten along best and made the most progress with were ones that didn't follow typical strategies when having talks with me. They knew I already knew the basics, I didn't make it through what I made it through without self honed skills and they know I could counsel them in much if seated in opposite chairs. So this style works well for us. I tend to use humor to get my points across, doesn't always translate well on the net. But then, not my job, I'm here to have a bit of fun, get away from some ankhs. If someone gets something useful from one of my post, it does give me some joy, if not, I dunno. I'm not the smartest, not better, definitely not superior to anyone and don't care to hurt anyone knowingly. I think we all use a bit of what we think might be witty exchanges on here from time to time, whether it comes of that way or not. Shoot, I admit, I've lost quite a bit of brain function over the past few years due to medical condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
I don't believe in therapy (in most cases).

When I was having a dark time in my life, I sucked it up and pushed forward. I found that talking about my problems made me feel worse about them and delve on them more instead of looking for a solution.

Instead, I spent time with support groups (who had a deep understanding of where I was coming from) and found mentors that were where I wanted to be in life.
You know that is a form of therapy you just mentioned right.?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
The problem is that it becomes a thing of either or and leaves out an humongous middle ground.
Sure it does. But I don't suggest it because people do things differently than I do, and I don't get the sense that most of the others who say "seek a therapist" here do it to feel superior.

It's not something you say because you don't like someone.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
You know that is a form of therapy you just mentioned right.?
They weren't actual support groups (we didn't call them that). By "therapy," I meant formally seeing a counselor.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
If you have insurance or can afford it out-of-pocket, or get some kind of free services, it can be very worthwhile. I tried marriage counselling with my ex, but that didn't work except to make me realize I really needed to end that relationship for my health. I also saw someone on my own while working through the transition to singledom again. It was very helpful to understand that the past problems weren't due to my failings, but that situation did create issues I needed to resolve.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
I saw a therapist for a while, and she was fantastic. I stopped because we ran out of things to discuss and fix.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Counselors are for when people have serious crises or issues. The people who I know who went into that field are kind of peculiar themselves.

Again, "money talks and bullshyt walks." A person may be parting with some hard-earned dollars, they will take that money to the bank, and the patient or client gets nothing out of it. Most people report little to no success with going to therapy. It is, at best, a temporary bandage.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
There was a time where I probably did suffer from depression, but when I saw how bad my dad was getting when we realized we were going to lose mom I had I had to push it aside, or bury it, or sucked it up, or whatever you feel like calling it, and took on all the burdens while my dad would just go to work, then come home and lay on the couch, until he finally realized he had to see a therapist. The therapist really helped him and they even gave him medication to help with the depression he was suffering from, and after a few months he took his responsibilities back.

Therapy can easily save your life or your situation. You just have to find a good one.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
There was a time where I probably did suffer from depression, but when I saw how bad my dad was getting when we realized we were going to lose mom I had I had to push it aside, or bury it, or sucked it up, or whatever you feel like calling it, and took on all the burdens while my dad would just go to work, then come home and lay on the couch, until he finally realized he had to see a therapist. The therapist really helped him and they even gave him medication to help with the depression he was suffering from, and after a few months he took his responsibilities back.

Therapy can easily save your life or your situation. You just have to find a good one.
My dad suffered from depression, too, and didn't realize it for awhile. He finally sought help when he realized that he was having suicidal thoughts yet his life was pretty damn good. He found the right medication and was so much better after that. I'm so grateful that he got the help he needed - I can't imagine what my life would have been like if he hadn't.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My dad suffered from depression, too, and didn't realize it for awhile. He finally sought help when he realized that he was having suicidal thoughts yet his life was pretty damn good. He found the right medication and was so much better after that. I'm so grateful that he got the help he needed - I can't imagine what my life would have been like if he hadn't.
Depression is a weird thing. Some people with really s-hitty lives don't encounter it and people with seemingly good lives do. It's sort of a wild card. And, I think we all know, that only an MD or nurse practitioner can write Rx s for antidepressants. A therapist or counselor cannot, unless they pair up with/transcribe to a medical professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships