Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times

Advertisements

We were only dating for about two months and couldn't be happier. That never changed. Confused? So am I. For the last few days, I noticed she would never say "I love you too" when I'd say "I love you". She would always say "you too!" and when I said "good night, love you too" she said "sleep well". When I saw her in person, I called her out on that. I asked "Are you still happy?" She looked at me and said "what? Why, why would you ask that, you're nuts." I told her that I felt something was up and she said that she felt that we were drifting apart. Her example? That we don't cuddle as much. I told her that I didn't cuddle as much because I tend to toss and turn at night, which she knew, and I didn't want her to lose sleep. She also said that we are really different, like how she likes books and I like airplanes (um, ok?) She told me how much she has changed, from how she always use to put on make up, exercise, read and now she doesn't do any of that and replaced books with tv!
She feels that her feelings have changed. I told her, maybe she's just lost the butterflies, and that is normal. She explained that it was nothing that I have done and I treated her amazingly. I don't get how someone can just simply flip a switch: stating that she loves me, that I'm amazing, the one, that I treat her so special, to this. I use to drop her off at school just before work and would pick her up 11 hours early. She would wrap her hands around me and tell me how much she missed me.
I know, deep down inside she is scared. She has closed the college chapter of her life. I was, right down the road. Now I am 30 minutes away (and by my standards that I live by, nothing bad!), and she has all these big dreams from Law School to moving out to Cali. I told her that I am willing to do whatever, and go whereever for her. I just want her apart of my life. I fought so hard for her.

I don't think I'll be seeing the last of her. She says she's just "processing". I found a Harry Potter book she left behind and told her about it via text. She said that she has been crying all day and misses me so much (mutual). She says that I can keep the book here and she will be back soon. She says, again, that she is just processing.

I made it crystal clear that I feel she is making a big mistake. That I shouldn't be punished for what may, nor may not happen. I'm a hard worker. Yes, I love the clinic, but its not the be all, end all of companies. I have a degree, and God willing, will be getting my Masters soon, too. I'm a hard worker. I'll survive.
I now am very gun-shy with Lucy or any girl. This isn't the first time this has happened. When I was 19, I dated a girl named who thought the word of me. Who dropped the "M" word after 2 months (perhaps it was joking, perhaps feeling it out). Much out of the blue, she broke up with me when she too left college! Granted, it was to drop out, not graduate. I was, more or less, a security blanket, which my new ex told me I was to her as well. I am so afraid to get close to anyone these days.

I am not sure what to do about her. I told her, she has my contact info. She is obviously upset and even muttered in person "maybe I'm making a big mistake", "maybe I jumped the gun etc" but in the end it wasn't to be.

After not texting for a day, we have been texting, and it does make me feel better, but on the other hand I just want to drop it and leave it up to her to text me.

Last edited by leadingedge04; 12-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: more info to story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,582 times
I don't know a lot about your relationship. How long you were together or anything like that. But it sounds to me like it's quite possible that going off to law school and realizing just how much she was going to invest in earning her J.D. may have caused her to rethink her priorities.

I'm really sorry you're hurting. It sucks.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 PM

Hi Rhacer,
I deleted my post and typed out in more detail what happened. Feel free to recomment.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm sorry you are hurt, but the two of you were only together for 2 months.

I think that is way too early to know if you love someone, and be willing to up root your life and move.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Thank you, Mikala. I realize it was such a short period of time, but it was a very happy two months. Thanks for your input

Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,582 times
I've got to agree with Mikala. I'm glad you had a delightful two months and I'm sorry you're hurt, but two months is far too short a time to start planning a future, particularly when you and she were both going through so many things that could alter your lives.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Thank you, Mikala. I realize it was such a short period of time, but it was a very happy two months. Thanks for your input
I'm sure you will have many wonderful women in your future.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
It sounds like your relationship was a good one but she wasn't ready or sure. Don't despair.

The timing was off in both occasions. I have a good feeling about you, though. You're different.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Aw, thank you Ellie!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times
Live and learn.

We've all been there. Getting too attached to a woman before she's as attached to you is like cryptonite to attraction. It comes off as needy. Next time, be more aloof. Watch what she does and if you feel that she feels strongly, then you could start talking about love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships