Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 PM

70 posts, read 88,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
...including the fact you aren't legally a family.
I don't care about "legally" being a family. I don't need the freakin' law to declare that. If I chose to live with a long-term partner, that person is family, whether it's "legal" or not.

I'd rather live together than get married. I don't count on "together 4ever", so if we end up breaking up, we wouldn't have to go through all the difficulty and trouble of divorce. One of us just packs up and gets the heck out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Today a relative said something to me that rubbed me the wrong way. Basically just because a man may not want to marry he might want to live together. While I know people who live together this isn't something I am open to at my age UNLESS we are engaged with a set wedding date. I have seen far too many people live together for years and eventually break up because one of them (usually the woman but not always)thought they would eventually get married. In this respect I'd rather just date then get married versus anything else. I am not interested in living with a guy nor am I interested in long term dating. For me personally I would give up so much as I'd be kicked out of the church choir and being a religious ed teacher. Living together has a lot of negative aspects to it including the fact you aren't legally a family.
Hey aren't you the same person who trolls dating sites and judges men based on their appearance? I don't even know why someone like you would even go to church. You've already sinned.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye Star View Post
I don't care about "legally" being a family. I don't need the freakin' law to declare that.
No, but the woman you love might.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
I'm unsure why what that person said rubbed you the wrong way as you can bail out the ones who do want to live together without being engaged. In my opinion for a gal living together with a guy or marrying a guy has a lot of negative aspects with neither having any worthwhile benefit so they're both a wash.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
My husband and I moved in together, then got engaged, then got married. It worked for us. Do what works for you.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I lived with both of my husbands before getting married, so obviously I'm fine with that.

Everyone should do what's right for them.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Hey aren't you the same person who trolls dating sites and judges men based on their appearance? I don't even know why someone like you would even go to church. You've already sinned.
Hey.

We're a discerning bunch.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I lived with both of my husbands before getting married, so obviously I'm fine with that.

Everyone should do what's right for them.
Glad that worked out.

they must've had opposite shedules.

Mormons are funny.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM

155 posts, read 564,139 times
I know many married people who just live together...age does that to you...

So they tell me...

Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM

70 posts, read 88,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
No, but the woman you love might.
First off, I'm female, although not straight, so a woman is as much of a possibility of a man. Second, it depends. I'm not going to marry someone I've only been with a year. And if marriage is so important that it becomes a "my way or the highway" issue, then I guess it's the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships