Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM

245 posts, read 385,795 times

Advertisements

or the reason why your partner ended it. I'm just curious about first hand real life answers, not statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
My ex ended it with me because he thought I wasn't thin enough and he 'deserved' better. He also cheated on me multiple times, but I didn't find out about that until we broke up.

My very first relationship, he broke it off because he was moving out of state. I found out via his twin brother that they had been planning the move for months. He sprung it on me last minute.

That's it for me.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My ex ended it with me because he thought I wasn't thin enough and he 'deserved' better. He also cheated on me multiple times, but I didn't find out about that until we broke up.

My very first relationship, he broke it off because he was moving out of state. I found out via his twin brother that they had been planning the move for months. He sprung it on me last minute.

That's it for me.
Wow...that was a depressing post.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM

225 posts, read 643,754 times
One wanted children, I didn't. We had been living together and working on projects together. It was a great partnership - work and otherwise. I thought he was going out West to go for the MFA, then into the studio system the same as me (and anyone in our concentration who wanted to work in that industry at the time). So I said "I'm moving to __ soon, are you going also? I'm not talking marriage - not pressuring you - I just want to know if I should include you or if you're doing your own thing." And he was looking really funny, so I said "I kinda need to know" and he blurted out "you don't want to have kids!" Well, that was brand new. I was taught to never ask a man about marriage - if he wants to be with you, he'll introduce the subject, so we never had any of those conversations and I assumed we were going to live together until we got established and then go our separate ways. We continued living together, though we moved into a two bedroom so each of us could date. He did get married to a nice lady, stayed in-state, never did work for the studios (he was really talented) - but he's very happy, so it all worked out.

There are other LTRs if you wanna hear 'em. I assume you're just curious.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM

245 posts, read 385,795 times
mine are, because we weren't getting along, were on and off. and another, because it turned into long distance and she didn't put in the time and effort for me to move. and another, because she was too into going out with her friends. i've never been broken up with, but then i didn't choose the best gfs.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
#1. Tired of her cheating ass and met someone waaay better. 4 yrs
#2. Mutual break-up because we were fighting too much. 10 months
#3. I tried to break up with her and she told me grownups try harder. She broke up with me 3 months later because I was moving away. 13 months
#4. I broke up with her because I felt like the only adult in the relationship. 7 years

All of these are slightly more complicated than what I put, but that was the jist.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
I actually developed a self esteem. 4 years with a selfish woman who only thought about herself, and did things for her advantage, I finally snapped out of it. The first 2 years were great, but the last 2 years we did more arguing with small moments where things were working out fine. Eventually at the end, I thought to myself if I actually was more miserable with her than without her. And the answer was that I was. So moving on wasn't that hard. I thought she was a nice woman, but she was definitely in a different part of her life. I think the last 2 years I was waiting for her to change, but then I thought about how long it would actually take that change to happen, and if I would keep my sanity at the end of it. It was tough, and I when I told her the issues I was having with her she didn't seem too interested in addressing it. So I told her that I was moving on with my life, and I have never talked to her again since that day 8 years ago.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
or the reason why your partner ended it. I'm just curious about first hand real life answers, not statistics.
Trust.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Wow...that was a depressing post.
And people wonder why I have teeny tiny 'trust' issues.

Almost 30, only two actual relationships under my belt and both weren't great.

Oh, I forgot, the first one I mentioned stole my identity, opened a bunch of credit cards under my name and I'm still working on fixing my credit.

Hooray!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

That's it for me.

Seems like you dodged a bullet there. Hopefully you didn't have kids with him, and at least you didn't marry him. I'm sure that hurts, but at least you didn't commit more of yourself to someone like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships