Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Well, we're on the internet. Let's see if we can somehow acquire this data

According to Wikipedia, the average height of a white US male is 5'10.5"
Yep, I looked it up too. A few websites said 5'8, most said 5'9 or 5'10, but none of them said 6'1.

And by personal experiences, the average is around 5'9 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,650 times
So average height is about 5'9 that's sounds about right. Some guys need to stop comparing themselves with actors and NBA players.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Why focus on the one thing you don't have? You'll almost always be the shortest guy in the room. So what? Being short hasn't hurt Danny DeVito, or Al Pacino or Tom Cruise. Not to mention all of the short writers, artists and inventors.

And, you appear to have the personality and earning potential that appeal to most women. Plus, you have a British accent (though that won't be a bonus if you live in Britain).

Focus on all of the things you have to offer your GF and other women. The only alternative would be to invest in the leg-lengthening surgery someone suggested, which would be an expensive, arduous process.

I'm short myself (just 5'). I'd never be happy comparing myself to leggy model types. Instead, I take advantage of the fact that my height helps me look younger than my age and men are always eager to come to my rescue if I need to reach something.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
5'5-5'6.
OK. In my attempt to be more positive but keep it realistic, here is the lowdown.

I'm about the same height as you, maybe an inch shorter and probably several years older.

I have a friend about our same height. Guy is a dentist, makes tons of $, has a penthouse apartment in the city, and has tons of charisma. I'm talking about, if you put 50 guys in a room, he will almost always have the most charisma. He's never been the guy that gets all the gals. When we used to go out, taller and better looking guys with less charisma used to get more women. But the gals he does get are of high quality. Very pretty and smart.

I have another old coworker about our height who is a very gregarious guy. He does pretty decent with women and I think his current girlfriend is real cute.

As for me, I've done relatively poorly with women. I've had a few. I'm just kind of a nice guy who doesn't really stick out. But I'm working on it.

If I was 5'10" or even 5'8", would I have done better? I'd say yes.

In a way, height hurts 'quantity' more than the 'quality' of the women you can get. You'll probably never be a ladies man, but you can get high quality women.

Do you have to work harder than taller men? Yes, I think so. I think the important thing is to see your disadvantage, and work with it. But don't develop too much of a chip on your shoulder.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

In a way, height hurts 'quantity' more than the 'quality' of the women you can get. You'll probably never be a ladies man, but you can get high quality women.

Do you have to work harder than taller men? Yes, I think so. I think the important thing is to see your disadvantage, and work with it. But don't develop too much of a chip on your shoulder.

Good luck.

Excellent advice.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Uh...no.

I believe the average is 5'9 or 5'10 for men in the US.

I'm 6'1 and the vast majority of men I come across are quite a bit shorter than I am.
Weird because a 5'9-5'10 guy feel shorts in most places.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Weird because a 5'9-5'10 guy feel shorts in most places.
Like I said, I'm 6'1 and I tower over the vast majority of the men I meet. In fact, I was standing up in a very crowded subway car last week and was at least 4 or 5" taller than pretty much everyone in that car...

I also do online dating and the majority of the men on there are between 5'6 and 5'8. It's a rarity to find anyone over 6'.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

543 posts, read 999,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I've had the same before too, I'm only a 5'9 or something.

Funnily enough tiny/short women are usually the most strict about finding a tall male. The latter is usually a side-effect from compensating what they are lacking for.

That's true. All my shorter friends are super picky about height, while my taller friends (the ones that are around my height or taller) don't care about height as much as the shorties.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
5'5-5'6.
Do you just stay at home or something?

Might want to turn off the TV and get out a bit more. Go to the mall, grocery store, etc. See all the guys your size and smaller who are walking around with women...

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
Longhornsfan, you're not even that short. Yes, you're shorter than the avg american man. So is my boyfriend and I still love him and never even thought about his height.

I'm 5'5 and I've dated men between 5'4 and 6'1. I didn't rank them ever in terms of their height, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships