Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,669,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Is it because the kids themselves drive you nuts and you don't like having them around? Or is it for financial reasons...
For me it's both of those reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
For me, I'm simply not at the stage in my life where I feel I want the stability of a child, either my own or someone else's. I want to be able to pick up and move at a moments notice, or go on a long vacation or even drive for a few hours to a bed and breakfast without needing to find a babysitter.
...as well as this.

Quote:
Or is there some other reason i have not thought of?
Another reason is I simply don't know how to interact with children because I've never really been around them very much. I'm the same way with dogs. I like dogs, but when one runs up to me wagging its tail, and I try to pet it, it looks at me like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm used to cats, and cats love me. But apparently there are different petting techniques for dogs and cats. Similarly, I can interact with adults all day just fine, but put me in a situation where I have to interact with children (of any age), and it's the most awkward thing you'll ever see.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,695,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post

...as well as this.

Another reason is I simply don't know how to interact with children because I've never really been around them very much. I'm the same way with dogs. I like dogs, but when one runs up to me wagging its tail, and I try to pet it, it looks at me like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm used to cats, and cats love me. But apparently there are different petting techniques for dogs and cats. Similarly, I can interact with adults all day just fine, but put me in a situation where I have to interact with children (of any age), and it's the most awkward thing you'll ever see.

I agree with this. I am the same way. I beleive children can 'sense' when you're the type that doesn't interact with them well. How true? I dunno.

Far as I know, dogs just like to be petted, period. LOL.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,856,170 times
No, dogs also want dog biscuits, at least my spoiled dog does. I'm good with kids and kids cling to me.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,669,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post

...as well as this.

It's really not that hard. I guess it's what your brought up with.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
No, dogs also want dog biscuits, at least my spoiled dog does. I'm good with kids and kids cling to me.

I was referring to when he said they want to be petted in certain ways differently then a cat. But yes they like biscuits and pupperoni too.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,856,170 times
My dog is spoiled and when people come over he thinks they come to visit him.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My dog is spoiled and when people come over he thinks they come to visit him.

are you one of these people that puts your dog in clothes?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,669,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's really not that hard. I guess it's what your brought up with.
Well, when I pet a dog I just sort pat them on the back, or scratch them around the shoulders, because when I pet cats like that they love it. But when I do it to dogs they give me this look that says, "You...you've never done this before, have you? Well, nice effort, anyway." I don't know, maybe they actually like it and I just don't interpret their facial expressions well.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM

219 posts, read 539,983 times
Quote:
Why are kids a deal-breaker for you? I notice this more with men who won't date single mothers, although it can happen with women not dating single dads as well. Is it because the kids themselves drive you nuts and you don't like having them around? Or is it for financial reasons, because you fear that your significant other would guilt you into helping financially support a kid who is not yours? Or is there some other reason i have not thought of?
um, don't look at us. I happen to spend my free time teaching formal swim instruction which clients typically are the children of 'banana splits' (divorced parents). I can't tell you how many times I have tried to interact with the mothers, only to be 'shot down' for what ever reason is customary.

My pride forces me to think they do not wish to interact with their child's swim instructor, but I've been out on dates and have seen them with their girl buddies on 'mother's night out' and I see no reason why there could not be more involvement other than their own reasons.

That's my way of saying your way off base.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,530,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
are you one of these people that puts your dog in clothes?
My dog LOVES being dressed up...she actually won't go outside if it's cold out unless she's wearing a jacket/sweater and boots, if it's cold enough.

She's the worst pit bull ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships