U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,219,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScience View Post
Hugh Hefner's getting married tonight. Now that's what you call screwing up. We used to idolize that guy when we were young. How can someone like him allow himself to be persuaded into doing something so god damn stupid? It's a shame.
How is his marriage any of your business? Don't you think he is old enough to decide for himself how to live his life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,566,070 times
Quote:
What do women think of a guy who is 50, single, never married and no kids?
I think a man like this is a billion times more desirable than a 50 year old who has multiple divorces, kids weighing him down (either grown ups or toddlers) or any other baggage like that.

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks a 50 year old dude with no kids and never married is "either asexual or gay." I work with two confirmed bachelors around this age. I assure you, neither is remotely asexual or gay. They have a lot more money than married people and are generally funny, intelligent and interesting people. Iconoclasts are usually very entertaining.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM

13,139 posts, read 15,937,587 times
My best friend just asked me a few days ago about a guy we both grew up with who is interested in me who is in his 40's. He's never married, no kids. She asked me with a disapproving tone how I felt about dating a guy with no kids. I guess she thinks it's bad for a guy to be in that position at that age.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM

71,801 posts, read 63,003,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
My best friend just asked me a few days ago about a guy we both grew up with who is interested in me who is in his 40's. He's never married, no kids. She asked me with a disapproving tone how I felt about dating a guy with no kids. I guess she thinks it's bad for a guy to be in that position at that age.
Another "the world has gone mad" example. Divorce and/or having kids outside of marriage has become so acceptable that having one's act together and not having kids or divorce is now viewed negatively.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,298,412 times
Quote:
Yep, heard this same tone in LA, so it doesn't surprise me around sophisticated SF, either. I know a woman who is seeing a guy who owns an engineering firm and he is divorced, with kids, and about 15 to 20 years older than her, yet she keeps seeing him and putting out. She is waiting for a commitment ... and has been for years.

This one woman I know her through (with the religious fanatic Dad, who lives apart from her husband) defends this situation when I have opined: "She's attractive enough, she should find herself a single guy." She says, about the engineer, "He shows her a good time" (meaning takes her out, because fundie chick is too stupid to think about sex since she doesn't have any with her own husband) and "He knows the drill" (because he's had kids). This chick being hosed is an admin. asst. from the Midwest who evidently thinks this is the best she can do. If she never gets a ring and a firm date from this match up, it will be laughable.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM

13,139 posts, read 15,937,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Another "the world has gone mad" example. Divorce and/or having kids outside of marriage has become so acceptable that having one's act together and not having kids or divorce is now viewed negatively.
It seems to me like everything is viewed negatively by someone. Nothing is sacred anymore and everyone thinks they are better than the next person. I pay no attention to it anymore because I have yet to see a perfect person walk this earth. I am not interested in seeing this guy for other reasons (he appears to be a bit of a player to me) and I told my friend that. She will always be judgmental though. That's just her nature.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,775,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know, I see this too and don't get it. I've even had people tell me to forget the never married/no kids older men and go for the dads because they are "more responsible". I hear the stereotypes like if a guy is older and unmarried he is that way for a reason and that at least with a divorced guy he was wanted before, or a man with kids isn't sexually a prude (I don't even get this one). Maybe it's me but the guys I found like this (never married/no kids) don't live up to the stereotypes. Most want or wanted to get married, they just didn't find the right person and refuse to marry the wrong person. Many of them wanted to be secure in a career before marriage. Sure, a few have mental problems but I've found that with divorced and/or dads too.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
YAZ

7,045 posts, read 11,351,743 times
Quote:
I am not kidding here.

When I was in my 30's and dating, I felt that I was looked down upon by not being a divorcee.

Sheet.

Don't get me started about why I wasn't invited to certain parties 'cuz it was a "couples" thing.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
YAZ

7,045 posts, read 11,351,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I know, I see this too and don't get it. I've even had people tell me to forget the never married/no kids older men and go for the dads because they are "more responsible". I hear the stereotypes like if a guy is older and unmarried he is that way for a reason and that at least with a divorced guy he was wanted before, or a man with kids isn't sexually a prude (I don't even get this one). Maybe it's me but the guys I found like this (never married/no kids) don't live up to the stereotypes. Most want or wanted to get married, they just didn't find the right person and refuse to marry the wrong person. Many of them wanted to be secure in a career before marriage. Sure, a few have mental problems but I've found that with divorced and/or dads too.
I've dated some whacked divorced women.

The single ones don't have a monopoly on mental disorders.

So, we're in agreement here.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM

242 posts, read 278,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What do women think of a guy who is 50, single, never married and no kids? I know a guy who is 50 and in this situation and he seems to be doing great. He started a company a few years ago and I did some consulting work for him- he is very successful and he looks a lot younger than most people his age.

According to him, because he was never married and never had kids, he was able to achieve all his material goals in life, he travelled the world, lives very comfortably, can pretty much afford anything he wants even though, he is very frugal and down to Earth.

I am sure he has no problems meeting high quality, younger women because he is successful, has a great personality and has a lot of life experiences. For a person in his situation, what would be the advantages of getting married?

No advantages. Also, did you say he was in pretty good health? I know you said he looks younger than 50.

Being in his position at 50 is were a lot of guys should aspire to be. Married or not. I think a lot of guys start off wanting to be in his position but the wife has a different set of plans. Sadly, many men submit to theirs wives and surpress their own desires to much more in life than the usual "normal" life: Married w/children.........blah.

Last edited by Johnny Danes; 12-31-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or