Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the people, but generally 10 ys is about the biggest, after that it seems a bit odd, you don't meld as well, don't have the same life experience, heck, even just being different generations, you don't share the same pop cultural references...

Not saying it couldn't work out, there are plenty of marriages where there is a 20 yr age gap...... specially when the people are older.... I can see a 60 yr guy with a 40, 41 yr old woman....... well, IDK.....maybe cause even then when you see them, you're still like "hmm, he must have some dough"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,582 times
18 years between my wife and I. No one in our lives even blinks about it.

1,288 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Why isn't it normal? Whatever works for them. Btw I think a 60 year old man dating a 41 year old woman is gross and no I wouldn't consider a man old enough to be my dad.
How is that gross? 60 year old is not that old, and a 41 year old woman is certainly all grown and mature, and start to wringle a little.

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
What Billy said, and if you have to wonder/ask if its a bit odd.......well then it probably is.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
How is that gross? 60 year old is not that old, and a 41 year old woman is certainly all grown and mature, and start to wringle a little.
Because I don't want an old man nor do I know any other women my age who wants an old man either. I am tired of old men hitting on me, they need to find women their age.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I'm curious why you're asking, since you're married? If you already unhappy after 19 months of marriage (per your other post), maybe you should just wait until you're divorced and then take some time to figure out why you leapt into marriage with someone you apparently didn't know all that well. Jumping into dating without doing that introspection is going to make you a horrible dating partner and will likely lead to the same kind of mistakes you've made already.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,480 times
Well, ask the women who marry Jack Nicholson what they think...guess it depends on how many zeros you can put on your resume?
When I was 25 I dated a 40 year old lady. It didn't hurt that she used to be a model for a famous european designer and had a body that would make a 20 year old envious.
My father was 19 years older than my mother, and I don't recall ever realizing the difference when I was a child. I am 15 years older than my wife, but we are still within the same generation (baby boomers), so we relate well on music, politics, etc.
Different folks, different strokes.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
I think that if one of the people looks like a soggy raisin and the other looks like a porcelain doll, it's probably not right.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM

163 posts, read 424,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it's about what you prefer. There are good things and bad things about going too far under or staying within the same age range. It depends on many things and your own age. For instance do you want kids and a family or are you okay with being an "old" father if the women you meet have marriage/family as a goal? Will you feel older if you don't know who her and her friends are talking about if they talk about music, etc? Do you like being able to share nostalgia with someone who will get your references to music, movies, the times you grew up in? Will you feel funny bringing home someone 20 years younger to family events, etc? Are you likely to have similar interests, want to go on the same type vacations, concerts, etc?

Are you asking in general or is there someone you are wondering if you should pursue?
Just asking in general. Cause i dated someone10yrs younger,16yrs younger and now married somone 7yrs younger, not sure where I was happiest?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Maybe you need to focus on being happy inside first, because with all those marriages, the latest 19 months old and already unraveling, it's possible that part of the problem is you're looking for a woman to make you happy rather than working from inside out and then finding someone to share your happiness with? How long have you spent alone between these relationships?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships