Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Dating 2013: No longer "What's your sign?" - now "What's your credit score?"
It seems like romance it’s just gotten more practical. It might help you determine whether your SO does not think it is important to pay bills on time or routinely overspends his/her income on significant hobbies or travel or holiday gifts so that you can avoid grinding conflict over money down the road.

Good looks and charm will only get you so far in today’s dating world. A great credit score is quickly becoming the new #1 attraction for finding happy love.
There's a reason that employers check credit ratings of potential employees. Lousy credit can be a sign of poor decision making and weak character. It may not reflect your character but it does show a pattern in your lifestyle. Of course there could be other reasons for a bad credit score like job loss, illness or just a dispute over a bill, but good financial management is a good test of personal responsibility.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/bu...z2fadodjvGpmZw

I've always considered "what's your credit score?" to be more of a third date sort of question. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Not an acceptable date question at all.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Meh. A couple of honestly made bad decisions can wreck your credit score. Especially on the heels of the 2008-2009 market meltdown. I prefer to look at what the guy spends his money on to begin with. Also, my partner's credit score matters very little to me given that I'm going to own my own house within a few days and have no intention of getting married or even combining households. Heck, I've got some nasty credit card debt right now, but because I've never missed a payment, my credit score is almost perfect. If I lost my job though... Well, stuff would get ugly.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I work in banking and I'd never ask that of someone I was dating. Now upon cohabition or being engaged, different story.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I work in banking and I'd never ask that of someone I was dating. Now upon cohabition or being engaged, different story.
I understand and agree.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,900 times
I would tend to look at a woman asking my credit score on a first date the same way a woman would look at a guy that would ask 'Do you swallow?' on a first date.

It's rude.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Seriously? If someone had asked that on my first, third, or tenth date, I would have called the evening to an abrupt end. Why?

1. It means this person is paying more attention to your finances than the content of your heart.
2. It means this person is only looking at a snapshot of who you are right now, rather than your potential as a person.
3. It means this person is already looking at sealing the deal on the first date, rather than trying to find out if this is even a person with whom it's worth having a fifteen minute conversation.

There is a time and place for such questions. Namely, when you are beginning to really seriously discuss a long-term relationship, one that involves merging assets and buying a home together. Until then, it is seriously off limits. I mean, you wouldn't dream of asking someone his or her salary on a first date. Why would you ask this?

What's more, whatever happened to actually paying attention to what's going on in a person's life? If you're even halfway perceptive, you'll pick up more clues in what a person does and says than you ever will simply asking a straightforward question.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,798 times
Ha I would never, but I've met (never dated) some older (mid-30's to mid-40's men and women) who know what they want in a mate and I could see them asking this question. They don't want to waste a few weeks dating some putz who's good at covering their bad financial tracks but really has awful credit, lots of debt, and makes bad financial decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously? If someone had asked that on my first, third, or tenth date, I would have called the evening to an abrupt end. Why?

1. It means this person is paying more attention to your finances than the content of your heart.
2. It means this person is only looking at a snapshot of who you are right now, rather than your potential as a person.
3. It means this person is already looking at sealing the deal on the first date, rather than trying to find out if this is even a person with whom it's worth having a fifteen minute conversation.
It might not be a deal breaker, but it could be a red flag for some. Its probably not as cut and dry as you make

Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Like most things ,questions should be relative to the seriousness of the realtionship .
If you have been dating some one and they seem to have a lot of expensive stuff and spends a lot of money trying to impress you . Definately want to know what the financial stattus is. Likely though you may not get the truth .
People that work hard to impress (from my expirence ) are over extended .
People that live conservitively and do not feel the need to impress(not snobish) they are likely comfortable ,their credit score may not be any of your business, but by the way they live and spend their time and money , you should be able to guess the score a bit .
The snobish have something to hide creating an artificial mystery ,not something I would rely on .
On the other hand , there are those that for no reason than being caught in the rush ,loose their job unexpectedly and for this reason their score is down.
My son is one whom put's every thing into his work , some of his employeers have even dipped into their own savings to keep him hired on for as long as they could .
Finding work is not easy .
Part time jobs are what's available because of the obama care mandate so stable work is even harder to be found .
I have after 6-7 years been laid off ,called back and realeased again 6 months later for the lack of contracts the company depends on.
I dont blame the company , the econemy is just too unstable .

Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Never date in Singapore :P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships