Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM

432 posts, read 1,227,841 times

Advertisements

People under 20 don't seem to even use the word dating anymore. It's hanging out or going out. Sex appears to also be a given if you hang out more than a couple of times together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I'm lacking cultural references here. It does look that dating and "having sex" are interchangeable. Does the word "dating" preserve any unique meaning to it, or it's becoming redundant to sex?
That's up to you, isn't it?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I would assume that dating does mean the couple are being intimate,
I would assume nothing. "Dating" can just mean you're getting to know someone. What if you have 5 guys on match.com, and you're seeing them for the first few dates, to figure out which one (if any) is right for you? Maybe you find you have something in common with a couple of them, so you go out with them a couple more times to see if the personalities click, and to determine if there's potential there? That has nothing to do with intimacy. The fact is that some people have sex before they know they're right for each other, other people wait to try to figure out if there's LTR potential before they even think about having sex. Some people date for weeks or months before they feel the time is right.

This assumption that treating a woman to dinner implies sex in exchange for a free meal is why some women insist on paying for their own dinner.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
I've dated several people at once yet wasn't having sex with any of them. I know people dating but not having sex, I know people having sex but not dating and everything else.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,760 times
Quote:
I understand that in the past the word "dating" meant other things than sex. I'm more curious about the present.
Didn't think it had changed- people in my community still think dating doesn't necessarily mean you're having sex. I would think if you're in a relationship, though, you're probably having sex vs. just dating.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I have heard the term 'dating' every now and then. Usually, when it is used, it goes something like this: "I was dating this guy...." or, "I dated this guy". Seems like I hear it more from women than men.

Dating seems to be used when a woman isn't ready to call a guy her boyfriend, or maybe she never did call him boyfriend, but they went out more than one time.
Did dating equal sex in these scenerios ? I don't know for certain, but anytime I heard the word 'dating', to me it meant; going on dates, but not exclusive.

I don't know many guys that say 'dating' very often. I guess I never thought about it, but if I ever admit to dating someone, I probably have been intimate with the person I am dating. Otherwise, the phrase "we went out a few times", or "I went on a date".

I would assume that dating does mean the couple are being intimate, but exclusivity is not defined yet.
This is exactly how I would define it in the U.S. If the pair are sexually active, then it's assumed that they are having sex since they are "dating". In other words, they are seeing each other regularly in order to determine if they want to enter into an exclusive relationship. For those sexually active, part of that determination includes assessing sexual compatibility.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
I'm lacking cultural references here. It does look that dating and "having sex" are interchangeable. Does the word "dating" preserve any unique meaning to it, or it's becoming redundant to sex?
No, they are not necessarily interchangeable. Dating does not assume sex.

Or at least it dang well shouldn't!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,464 times
I've always interpreted dating as two people are seeing each other regularly but not necessarily in a committed relationship at that point. I don't think it necessarily implies sex.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM

633 posts, read 723,645 times
LOOOOL. my head actually spin with the replies on first page. WTF. speaking for myself. i dont shag those that i date. that's why this thread made my head spin like linda blair in exorcist.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I interpreted "dating" as meaning being committed to one person sans wedding vows and generally meant you were getting laid.
What about the strangers or virtual strangers one dates in order to get to know them better? Dating doesn't necessarily have anything to do with commitment. Commitment comes at a later stage in the process, and only if the right elements are in place. Often, those elements are missing, and the two daters move on to others in their search.

There are a lot of strange assumptions being made here about dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships