Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

I'm not finding much difference between my job hunt out of college in 2012 and dating right now.

Send nearly a hundred inquiries, only hear back from a few, get one or two interviews...errr....dates, no further movement after that.

The process of dating just SUCKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Not sure about premise of the OP. I hear a lot of women being tired of going on dates so I don't know. I think it depends on the person's outlook: If they have excessive focus on the goal be it sex, marriage, whatever, they tend to view the process more negatively. Girls generally having excesive focus on marriage and guys excessive focus on sex. If they just view as getting to know someone/socializing and having fun, all the better their view of dating will be.

For me, it depends on the girl I'm on a date with. Most of the time, it's at least a decent time even if noting happens beyond that. I think it's b/c I tend to do things I enjoy on dates, like ice skating, tennis, bicycling, hiking along with coffee/snacks/lunch. I also enjoy hearing about their background, hobbies, and interests. The other thing is I like scoping out new coffeehouses and restaurants so if the date sucks, at least I have that.

Dutch: This also happens a lot on dates, but if I like her and sense she really likes me, I pay and tell her "you can pay next time" in a semi-joking manner. If I don't like her enough and/or senses she doesn't like me, it's dutch.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM

127 posts, read 154,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm not finding much difference between my job hunt out of college in 2012 and dating right now.

Send nearly a hundred inquiries, only hear back from a few, get one or two interviews...errr....dates, no further movement after that.

I remember a post of yours from a few weeks ago where you said that you've decided to have fun and relax about things. Since you've done this, things have been better for you.

You should stick with that.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

Forget about the process since I can understand that aspect, but don't you have fun on the actual dates? Isn't it at least a bit interesting to hear about others' lives?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Most of the conversation from them consists of questions about my work, education, what hobbies I'm doing, how much I travel, whether I like food, do I play an instrument, am I an outdoorsy person...blardy bar. It feels like they're adding or debiting points from my "interesting" index on a mental checklist.
Well, what the heck else is there to ask about/talk about on dates if you didn't know the person much beforehand? Gotta start with topics like that before delving into things like religion, politics, economics, human behavior, although I've been known to talk about those things with dates, depending on comfort level.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Forget about the process since I can understand that aspect, but don't you have fun on the actual dates? Isn't it at least a bit interesting to hear about others' lives?
It is really dependent on the date itself. I had one date where a date and I watched the first half of the Gators/Dawgs game and had a good time. I've had other dates where I could see myself asking the girl, if we move on in the process, when can I start? Of course, I didn't get the offer in those situations.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
(le sigh...le sigh)

The guy who is a social worker would therefore need to be creative enough to court the lady doctor in a manner that is both entertaining and friendly to his wallet.

It really is not about the amount of money that a man spends but the care/thoughtplanning behind his efforts. When will some of you guys ever learn this important fact?
You avoided the question. Yes, I understand the concept of a cheap date. However, should this go longer-term, should Mr. Social Worker always be picking up the tab? She easily makes 4x what he does. At any rate, this doesn't happen. Women doctors find other high-paid professionals.

My friend wound up divorcing a woman who made 3x his respectable income in big ticket sales and they had no kids. She didn't want her income stream interrupted. He is the one who got the monetary "bump up" after the divorce.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Well, what the heck else is there to ask about/talk about on dates if you didn't know the person much beforehand? Gotta start with topics like that before delving into things like religion, politics, economics, human behavior, although I've been known to talk about those things with dates, depending on comfort level.
I'm the opposite..haha...I jump straight to the interesting topics first. What do I care about what her opinion about last night's episode of True Blood or whatever it is they watch these days, I mean she sure doesn't give a crap what I think about my own little obscure hobbies and computer games. I'd prefer her opinion on the fallibility of Keynesian economics (just an example.)

Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Best just to have them fill out an application and run a credit / background check before we meet.

I usually make them pay a $40 non refundable dating deposit to cover wine and gas.
Don't forget a physical from your doctor and three professional references from non family members.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM

491 posts, read 569,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Dating has become far too much like going for a job interview. Too much pressure, not really fun. I would rather spend time indoors reading, watching TV or playing Xbox.
You are correct. 'What do you do for a living? Do you have kids? What do you do for fun?'. Just a crapload of questions to see you are 'worthy' of the 'job'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships