Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,692,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I'm the opposite..haha...I jump straight to the interesting topics first. What do I care about what her opinion about last night's episode of True Blood or whatever it is they watch these days, I mean she sure doesn't give a crap what I think about my own little obscure hobbies and computer games. I'd prefer her opinion on the fallibility of Keynesian economics (just an example.)
This is true duck people say to have a passion but if its boring someone else what does it matter I have extensive knowledge of warhammer 40k.

That why I think dating is annoying for both because instead of working on an individual basis there are to many people are applying what they or the people they know want and making it the general rule for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,156,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
This is true duck people say to have a passion but if its boring someone else what does it matter I have extensive knowledge of warhammer 40k.

That why I think dating is annoying for both because instead of working on an individual basis there are to many people are applying what they or the people they know want and making it the general rule for everyone.
HOLY SHAZBOT. I didn't think there would be another person on this board who even knew about such a niche hobby.

What faction do you play?

I'm an Eldar and Chaos player, myself.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,517,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You avoided the question. Yes, I understand the concept of a cheap date. However, should this go longer-term, should Mr. Social Worker always be picking up the tab? She easily makes 4x what he does. At any rate, this doesn't happen. Women doctors find other high-paid professionals.

My friend wound up divorcing a woman who made 3x his respectable income in big ticket sales and they had no kids. She didn't want her income stream interrupted. He is the one who got the monetary "bump up" after the divorce.
Yes.

And I do agree that, in the long term, relationships in which the woman makes substantially more than the man are not likely to go the distance (even if they marry). Many men will resent a woman who earns more money.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,827,040 times
Its a headache to both sexes when they were both so excited for it. They do all the prep work and then extremely bummed when the outcome wasn't what they anticipated.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,351,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes.

And I do agree that, in the long term, relationships in which the woman makes substantially more than the man are not likely to go the distance (even if they marry). Many men will resent a woman who earns more money.
My friend didn't resent her. He eventually got sick of her because she used to insult him about his income, and the relative tilt of power in the household was obnoxiously aligned with their ratios of income. He is so glad to be rid of her, even though they still talk, and does a "phew" about not having kids, as in "amen." He never wants to get married again.

507 posts, read 513,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I really think men don't enjoy dating. But women do. For men, take out that wallet for an investigative foray into the world of possibilities. For women, the movie and chicken Cordon Bleu are certainties.

I never thought about this until I lived in Atlanta and was involved in my north end parish full of transplants. The (Mod cut: religious slur) I love to complain about would talk about guys and sneer "He doesn't date much," as if a put down. (Many put downs came out of her mouth, actually.)

I have always viewed dating of the "getting to know" variety as a pain in the ass. Going out with someone you already know is fine.

Men and women, what do you think?
You have a point I can see why men don't like to date. The average man spends his money courting a woman on the first date, then if he is interested, will continue to do so. Even if the man is just having fun, money is somehow always involved. On the other hand, women could hate dating as well. Constantly going out with men who are either cheap, disgusting rude, or a complete and utter disappoint. Not to mention, women go out on dates hoping that something will come out of it (such as a serious relationship). I do think most men would just like some sex and keep it moving

1,360 posts, read 1,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
HOLY SHAZBOT. I didn't think there would be another person on this board who even knew about such a niche hobby.

What faction do you play?

I'm an Eldar and Chaos player, myself.
When it comes to niche hobbies I am king compared to many on this board.

To answer your question I play Space Marines my own chapter custom but my favorites are the Orks.

WAAAGH!!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,351,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
You have a point I can see why men don't like to date. The average man spends his money courting a woman on the first date, then if he is interested, will continue to do so. Even if the man is just having fun, money is somehow always involved. On the other hand, women could hate dating as well. Constantly going out with men who are either cheap, disgusting rude, or a complete and utter disappoint. Not to mention, women go out on dates hoping that something will come out of it (such as a serious relationship). I do think most men would just like some sex and keep it moving
Women ALREADY know if they want a serious relationship with you if you've spent half an hour to an hour talking to them before asking them out. I don't think that a date changes anything if they've already decided "nay." The correct thing a woman should do is decline and pass up on the movie + restaurant.

I don't think the wining and dining is always about sex. That could happen after a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I already told this story, but I overheard a first on-line date at a table next to me at B&N and you KNEW sex was going to occur after leaving the store. In fact, I'd say that sex is more likely to happen with less investment, sometimes with just an invitation to come over and watch TV.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,156,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
When it comes to niche hobbies I am king compared to many on this board.

To answer your question I play Space Marines my own chapter custom but my favorites are the Orks.

WAAAGH!!!!
Ahh..Imperial scum huh?

I never could really get into Orks...I just can't take them seriously, and the painting looks like it would be a lot of work. A Speed Freaks army could be cool though, less green to paint.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,611,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
Have you met all the guys I've gone out with in the past few years???

I HATE dating. SO much. But, eventually I do want to be in a LTR with someone that I actually like. To get to that point one has to date and that kind of sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships