Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM

197 posts, read 208,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Or perhaps I'm just afraid of failure and my rather, poor way of coping with it.
As for the void, I could comfortably say I've filled that by means of the "hands on" approach.
As for the other poster, advice is well taken and perhaps this is just another way of telling me to stop beating the dead horse.
I guarantee you, if you cut out the "hands on" approach completely, you would have a mate within a year. Most guys do not realize how detrimental being "hands on" is, both in terms of finding a relationship, and maintaining one while in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
I guarantee you, if you cut out the "hands on" approach completely, you would have a mate within a year. Most guys do not realize how detrimental being "hands on" is, both in terms of finding a relationship, and maintaining one while in it.
Assuming that you know what I mean, I've been doing that since middle school.
I've attempted to get off of it, but I've fell off the wagon each time.

As for the "type" I'm considering should I ever decide to get the boat out of the dock?
Independent, intelligent, and could pretty much hold her own.
Call me cold, but of all the "close calls" I've had, the damsel-in-distress types made me run in the other direction.
I wouldn't say I'm a girly-man, but I'm not exactly a cage fighter either.
Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, go-Dutch, and all that other equal-playing field stuff.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'm still baffled as to why people are wanting me to "step up my game" so-to-speak.
I've come to accept that I'm happy where I'm currently at, yet there's still some that insist I reintroduce difficulty into my life.
Maybe they're jealous of the fact that I'm not held down by anything and that I need to experience some of their life in order "to be one" or some crazy thing like that.
Most people settle down and have kids, and there are folks who just can't wrap their heads around any other way of doing things. I wouldn't assume they are jealous, just close-minded.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 AM

264 posts, read 309,069 times
You seem to need a lot of validation for your choices. Just live your life.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Not sure of your sexual preferance but my advice would be to get out and starting interracting with both men and women. Develope more friends socially.

The white lie can work against you especially during the times of holidays. You worried now? Imagine when xmas and xgiving come around and he or she doesn't show up..

I really think that by surrounding yourself with others as just friends can help you better determine how you will pursue your interests on an intimate level.

Also, spend time with your brother's children or other children in the family. Get a feel for what its like being a father. See if that hits a spot.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
You sounds like a violent guy to me, and so your friends and family are hoping that by settling down with a women you will grow up and end your violent tendencies. Of course we know life doesn't work that way. Changing your venue is much much easier than changing yourself. Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
LOL. i agree. and i am being sarcastic. OP, totally understand you. i too had not dated until i was 38 i believe. no one pressures me though. even if they did. im like u, noone can convince me to be in a relationship anyway. i also am a loner so no prob not having a dating life. or felt like i miss things.

until u hit certain age, like 35 or maybe even late 20s. it certainly will hit you.

im telling u now give it a chance. when i became a serial dater thanks to online dating sites (which ironically i avoided like a plague for sooo long) that's when i regret not doing it sooner. it may be frustrating because of course you don't meet the right person for u right away like me it took me 2-3 yrs to find my current bf who is the best guy ever. he keeps saying he is lucky to meet me but i honestly believe it was me who got lucky.

just saying. u think u have it all figured it out but as u age, u will feel that void, surely.
Do you know the OP well enough make this call?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
And how so, the "hands on" approach relieves "frustration" besides cutting it out won't mean a gf will just fall into your lap.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And how so, the "hands on" approach relieves "frustration" besides cutting it out won't mean a gf will just fall into your lap.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM

197 posts, read 208,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That frustration is what causes an otherwise passive man to better himself so that he can actually get his "hands on" a woman. Working out, socializing more, aggressively moving forward in his career, etc. Nothing worthwhile comes without some work, and overstimulating yourself is just cheating yourself and your potential future mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships