Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM

468 posts, read 553,312 times

Advertisements

Do you know many who are guilty of this? I get the feeling sometimes that people kind of misinterpret if others are hitting on them, are attracted to them, really "want" them etc.

I've had instances where males actually thought my regular conversation/politeness/friendly gestures, (none of which were even remotely suggestive in any way, as I'm a very non-flirtatious person) were hints that I "liked" them or wanted them to ask me out. And I'm generally not a very outgoing person either.

I've also noticed a few of my female relatives exaggerating males' attraction to them in everyday life. If I happen to see some random male, or even someone I know glancing/looking at me, I don't automatically think I'm being checked out or that he's got a thing for me. To these relatives, and a lot of females I interact with, any male they catch looking at them is "checking them out". And any guy who initiated a regular convo with them has "approached them" or 'hit on them'. One cousin 'saw the neighbour look at her whilst she cleaned the yard' so she thinks he likes her.

Unless it's a series of overtly odd behaviour, telling comments etc, I don't see a reason to get excited. For a very good looking person it's obviously different; they're usually wanted by all/most.

What do people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
I know what you mean. Especially here in the South, women are always saying 'sweetie', and 'hun' or 'honey' at the store or bank but that's just the way they are and it's good customer service....can't take it seriously.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
You mean all those men don't want me afterall!?!?!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
I'm terrible at knowing when someone is hitting on me.

To play it safe I 'underestimate'

Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I know what you mean. Especially here in the South, women are always saying 'sweetie', and 'hun' or 'honey' at the store or bank but that's just the way they are and it's good customer service....can't take it seriously.
They're service personnel, that's the key.
If that's the custom, the real confusion would set in when women outside the job would use those words.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm terrible at knowing when someone is hitting on me.

To play it safe I 'underestimate'
Me too and at my age, I know better but back in the day they had to spell it out for me.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
they had to spell it out for me.
This. Luckily I have a few good female friends who 'interpret' for me

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
I'm the exact opposite. I never think women are hitting on me and I am completely oblivious to that fact (on the rare occasion that actually happens )

Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're service personnel, that's the key.
If that's the custom, the real confusion would set in when women outside the job would use those words.
Exactly and waitresses really lay it on thick, they're working that tip out of you.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
My husband thinks men are hitting on me 24/7. In reality it is extremely rare...like almost never. And I'm OK with that. I have tremendous self esteem but it's not based on my looks. I can play around with my appearance, "clean up" for fun, but the real me is on the inside. Of my head, that is.

There are men out there who choose to interpret any friendliness whatsoever as some kind of invitation. If I get a vibe like that, I avoid eye contact and make an escape. Online if I suspect someone might have the wrong idea...even a bit...I make sure to clearly and honestly state my unavailable position. I'm a friendly person, but honest too.

Fortunately this doesn't happen as often as it did to me when I was younger. Guess I'm starting to show my age a bit. I'm cool with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships