Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you attracted to your physical equivalent?
I am a man and yes 19 33.93%
I am a man and no 10 17.86%
I am a woman and yes 19 33.93%
I am a woman and no 8 14.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Same here. There are far more important things to focus on than height and weight. For the purpose of this thread I mentioned my preferences...but it's not something that is at the forefront of my mind when meeting a potential match.
For the purposes of this thread, I mentioned the stats of those who I have dated. because THAT IS THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD!! Of course there are other things to focus on with someone you are dating, but these are as important as personal hygiene, sense of humor, etc. to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
My husband is about 6-7" taller than me
BMI are probably similar though his is more muscle
Race is the same
Age is the same (I'm 3 months older)

He's not the only man I find attractive though.
I actually prefer an older man with silver hair. Most of my "crushes" have had that in common.
While I LOVE my husbands body...most of my crushes have all had a belly too..go figure.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
For the purposes of this thread, I mentioned the stats of those who I have dated. because THAT IS THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD!! Of course there are other things to focus on with someone you are dating, but these are as important as personal hygiene, sense of humor, etc. to me.
Yeah, except in nearly every single topic you post on, you post pictures of women's butts, pictures of 'fit' women and describe in detail why the women you think are attractive are better than any other type of woman. If you didn't obsess, it wouldn't be an issue.

To me, height and weight ARE NOT as important as a sense of humor, hygiene etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Don't tell your 5'8" prospect that your ideal man is a foot taller than he is.
Why not? I already know he'd prefer a woman shorter than he is.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Why not? I already know he'd prefer a woman shorter than he is.
In a way you are telling a potential bf he isn't close to what your ideal is. Judging from what some of the men here say that may be close to the equivalent of a man telling a woman that his ideal is 50 lbs lighter than she is.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
In a way you are telling a potential bf he isn't close to what your ideal is. Judging from what some of the men here say that may be close to the equivalent of a man telling a woman that his ideal is 50 lbs lighter than she is.
If people ONLY dated their ideal, people would probably rarely date. He told me straight up that he doesn't really like tall chicks, but we get along really well so we're going to give it a shot.

I have had quite a few men tell me that I was heavier or taller than their ideal. If it was a dealbreaker, he moved on.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
If people ONLY dated their ideal, people would probably rarely date. He told me straight up that he doesn't really like tall chicks, but we get along really well so we're going to give it a shot.

I have had quite a few men tell me that I was heavier or taller than their ideal. If it was a dealbreaker, he moved on.
I fall back on "If you can't say anything nice don't say it at all". You would never hear the words too heavy, too short, too tall, or any other too come out of my mouth. Maybe its a generational thing?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I fall back on "If you can't say anything nice don't say it at all". You would never hear the words too heavy, too short, too tall, or any other too come out of my mouth. Maybe its a generational thing?
I think many men are more than happy to point out a woman's flaws. I'm happier that they're open and honest about it instead of making passive aggressive comments.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I think many men are more than happy to point out a woman's flaws. I'm happier that they're open and honest about it instead of making passive aggressive comments.
"I think many men are more than happy to point out a woman's flaws."
Could be, but I don't see this in the people I know. Or, I may be oblivious to it. I can only take responsability for my own actions and I know if you put negativity out there you get it back and it's not just as a figure of speech.

I really don't think they are being honest. I think that many men who do this have low self esteem and fill thereselves up by putting others down, even if it's they're gf.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
I think a guy who does this is trying to cause the woman he's targeting to feel insecure about her role in the relationship or interaction and to feel as if she's not quite good enough, or only just good enough, to be with the guy. In other words, he does it to increase his power over her. I noticed that when I stopped reacting to put downs, the put-downs happened less frequently, and eventually stopped happening altogether. Behavior that isn't rewarded isn't likely to be repeated.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
"I think many men are more than happy to point out a woman's flaws."
Could be, but I don't see this in the people I know. Or, I may be oblivious to it. I can only take responsability for my own actions and I know if you put negativity out there you get it back and it's not just as a figure of speech.

I really don't think they are being honest. I think that many men who do this have low self esteem and fill thereselves up by putting others down, even if it's they're gf.
I honestly don't think most men realize they're doing it. I went shopping with a male friend a while back and he was looking at boots and said 'wow, these would look great if your feet were a little smaller'. Now, I doubt he meant it as 'your feet are huge and it's gross' but guess how most women are going to take it?

Or one of my other favorite comments, "This dress is gonna look great on you as long as you wear spanx or something'. Again, I'm sure he didn't mean it as 'you're lumpy and fat' but guess how I took it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships