Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My mom has been married 5 times.

Takes all kinds. Sometimes, things just don't work.

It's really nobody's business but the people involved.
The daughter was detestable - the most problematic employee. The half-sister, didn't know the lineage but had a different last name, was another piece of work. The mother was not a good person. Not even knowing this information about her, one could tell she was selfish and unscrupulous. The problematic behavior has a source and oftentimes it's family dynamics. Some people get through relatively unaffected and others are heavily affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
It's not that uncommon anymore. My mother and my father were married 3 - 4 times each. I have siblings remarrying. Marriage is not taken seriously anymore. And yet I still have faith that I can meet a respectable woman and enter into this bond with her and have it last for life. I'm a hopeless romantic.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
It's not that uncommon anymore. My mother and my father were married 3 - 4 times each. I have siblings remarrying. Marriage is not taken seriously anymore. And yet I still have faith that I can meet a respectable woman and enter into this bond with her and have it last for life. I'm a hopeless romantic.
But isn't that financially and logistically messy? How do people even juggle that much discord? I think it takes one who has an "Eh" attitude toward the whole thing.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The daughter was detestable - the most problematic employee. The half-sister, didn't know the lineage but had a different last name, was another piece of work. The mother was not a good person. Not even knowing this information about her, one could tell she was selfish and unscrupulous. The problematic behavior has a source and oftentimes it's family dynamics. Some people get through relatively unaffected and others are heavily affected.
Exactly. It varies.

One of my undergrad psych professors once told me that kids need stable parents. Whether it's one parent or a set.

I agree.

Last edited by RedZin; 01-09-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I think most people want that. I just think things happen that they didn't anticipate, then they don't bother to learn from their mistakes.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
A different take here.

Some people actually learn positive things with each marriage; at the very least, what they're not willing to tolerate. They understand the give and take of marriage. Habits, hang-ups. The routines and responsibilities. Dealing with in-laws. By the time they get to the 3rd or 4th marriage, they have it down.

That's why they ironically become "marriage material."

Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A different take here.

Some people actually learn positive things with each marriage; at the very least, what they're not willing to tolerate. They understand the give and take of marriage. Habits, hang-ups. The routines and responsibilities. Dealing with in-laws. By the time they get to the 3rd or 4th marriage, they have it down.

I disagree. What I've seen is better first marriages that come later, but not too late. I'm talking late 30s or early 40s. My family has a friend, who I no longer like after learning what she's really like, who met her husband and they both married at exactly age 50. I don't think their situation is that great, from reading between the lines, but the Catholic front they need to put up precludes other courses of action.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I think most people want that. I just think things happen that they didn't anticipate, then they don't bother to learn from their mistakes.
More power to us.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
(quoting my post)A different take here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I disagree. What I've seen is better first marriages that come later, but not too late.
I have seen this, too, with my best friend. But I have seen many more successful 3rd and even 4th marriages, especially with those who have gotten into their 40's and 50's. So maybe we're kind of in agreement.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A different take here.

Wouldn't they be able to learn most of this from LTR's and living together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships