Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
Sometimes I think I should have a baby just to get it out the way and get people off my back...but then other times I think maybe not.
It would certainly be one of the worst reason to have a baby. A good reason to have one is that you want one and can support one. Having it for other peoples sake is not a good reason at all.

But you are going to learn even more so than you already have that this is a very judgemental society on this topic and many people will wonder - ask - judge - and even deride your choice. Some will be suspicious of it. Some will even be outright annoyed at you and will trot out complete nonsense at you like "Think of all the people who want kids but can not - how selfish of you not to want to!" as if it is your duty to have children for their vicarious fulfilment.

Just do what is right for _you_ and ignore the naysayers as the judgemental egos that they are.

Having said all that perhaps you might do well to nurture an "I do not want children NOW" attitude rather than an "I do not want children ever" one. The fact is we change as we age - sometimes more than we ever expect and we can be quite shocked. I have known many people who did/didnt want children for a long long time and then - some at 30, 35, 40, 45 whatever - suddenly found their feelings on it reversed.

Stay true to who you are but always remember who you are will change day to day - month to month - and year to year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
I'm going to be 24 this year and I've already made up my mind that I do not want any children. I have very little interest in the lives of children beyond the age of 5. They just don't interest me and I don't find pregnancy very appealing at all. Womens bodies go through a lot during those nine months..I like being child-free, and having financial independence. However, I am starting to feel immense pressure from family/friends to be a mother..many of my friends from high school are getting pregnant left and right. I am one of the last few who has not had a baby yet. Sometimes I think I should have a baby just to get it out the way and get people off my back...but then other times I think maybe not.
There's nothing wrong with not wanting children at your age. However, don't confuse not wanting one now with not wanting one ever. Lots of women change their minds by the time they hit 30. I've know women who were adamant about not wanting children when they were in their early 20s who suddenly hit that age, woke up one morning and said, "I want a baby NOW!"

However, why in God's name would you want to have a baby because your friends from high school are doing it? Or because people are asking you? Tell them to mind their own business.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM

254 posts, read 316,268 times
If anything, it's people who want children that are freaks.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I'm going to be 24 this year and I've already made up my mind that I do not want any children. I have very little interest in the lives of children beyond the age of 5. They just don't interest me and I don't find pregnancy very appealing at all. Womens bodies go through a lot during those nine months..I like being child-free, and having financial independence. However, I am starting to feel immense pressure from family/friends to be a mother..many of my friends from high school are getting pregnant left and right. I am one of the last few who has not had a baby yet. Sometimes I think I should have a baby just to get it out the way and get people off my back...but then other times I think maybe not.
I just dont believe people are under pressure from family and friends (with the rare exception of a mother desperately wanting a grandchild) to reproduce. I think it is a perception problem. It does seem human nature for people to jokingly make comments like when are you getting married or when are you going to have kids, but that is hardly pressuring. Its just stupid crap people say without realizing it may be offensive to some, like what do you do for a living or where do you go to church.
There are millions of people who do not want to have kids so why would anyone think it freakish. Even people with kids don’t want them.
Sometimes I wonder if those worried about being “pressured†by society to reproduce don’t subconsciously want to reproduce.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM

242 posts, read 350,995 times
Quote:
Do what's right for you and don't knuckle under to pressure from anybody else, including your family. My sister never had children and at least to my knowledge was never pressured by our family to have kids. I think it helped knowing she didn't have a maternal bone in her body, so it was definitely the right decision for her.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
I like your decisoon, I don't want kids either. And if you do decide one day, you better make it happen with the right person because your stuck with them for 17 years after the fact with support, visitation, etc.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM

264 posts, read 309,028 times
You'd be more of a freak if you had a baby just because you can't live your own life how you want to.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
My wife and I are in our mid to latter 40's.

We have been married for over 21 years without ever wanting or feeling any urge to procreate.
We decided before we were married to actually have discretionary income, freedom, travel, and peaceful sleep.

We considered and still consider children a liability with no return on investment.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
I've had several female friends in their 20's and 30's say they dont want kids. My ex wife went so far as to feel freaked out by the thought of another human being growing inside her body.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

Technically you will be "ChildLESS not ChildFREE", I am childfree since my children are grown and on their own with their own families good friends of ours are childless since they have never had children.
Besides that who's business is it but your and whomever you decide to marry if you decide to marry that you wish to have no children? When you figure out how to live your life for your own happiness and not worry about what "society" thinks of you life will be much happier and less stressful since you will only have to live up to your own expectations and not someone else's.

If you have a baby just to have a baby you are an idiot that is not fair to the child whom you will end up resenting and not loving nor treating well and it is not fair to you to do something "just to get it out of the way and people off your back". Tell everyone who is pressuring you to shut the hades up and leave you alone and stay out of your life choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships