Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM

102,162 posts, read 107,560,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
Wouldn't the hook up culture benefit these women so they don't get tied down and interrupt their studies? I'm not a fan of it, but it's not just the hot girls that have jumped ship on being courted.
True. But not all college women are into the hookup culture. People who buy into the idea that they are, are to some extent falling for media hype. There have always been a wide variety of personalities, interests, and maturity rates among college students (including men). Some aren't into sex at all in the early years of college, because their testosterone hasn't come online yet (speaking of women and men). There's a college professor who posts here from time to time who says she has grad students in their mid-20's (male and female) who are still virgins. Life is not a series of cliches, people. Humans are very diverse. Maybe some of you aren't finding the woman you want because you've bought into a stereotype? idk, but there are a lot of great 20-something women out there. Probably their radars screen for angry, bitter types and players, though, just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,981,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Well the author of the article is a idtiot, becuase that's not what courting is. The person should have used the term traditional dating.
I can agree with that.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM

50,571 posts, read 36,254,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Why I would feel like a fool? Because other guys were banging her without "getting to know her", asking for a date or paying 1 cent for coffee etc.. The ways of the liberated women make old fashioned butt sniffing quite foolish if not ridiculous.
I see guys write things like this, but I can say honestly that I don't know any women who go around banging a million guys she barely knows and cheating on people - even when I was young, this did not even come close to describing the vast majority of girls I knew. I think you're just fishing in a toxic pool if this is the kind of girls you're meeting, choose a better one.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,935,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I see guys write things like this, but I can say honestly that I don't know any women who go around banging a million guys she barely knows and cheating on people - even when I was young, this did not even come close to describing the vast majority of girls I knew. I think you're just fishing in a toxic pool if this is the kind of girls you're meeting, choose a better one.

Why would you know that information anyway? If you do know a female and she is doing those things don't you think she would want to keep that information private to avoid looking like easy? And some woman would find it hard to not have sex with a sexy guy if he doesn't have any connections to her family or friends which would make her act impossible to find out.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM

904 posts, read 1,380,348 times
Wow this is a depressing thread! As the father to a three-year old girl, I'm hoping that I can set a good example of what she should expect when she starts dating.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,194,094 times
Quote:
I think it's actually less pressure. I see people dating who both wait for the other to call because they're not even sure anymore who should call who, and people who "hang out" hoping it means romantic interest on the others' part but never being sure - in the old days it was much more clear cut and easier to know what the rules are, who was really interested, etc.
And that's why traditional dating comes with more pressure, there are these so-called rules to follow. How the hell can you enjoy someone else's company when you are to busy following rules. Ultimately this article seems like another platform for young men to be blame for everything bad that's happening in society.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is talking about "that" girl.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM

904 posts, read 1,380,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Far too much pressure.
Nope, no pressure. Being a gentleman does not take a lot of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, most modern guys have wussed out?
From what I read here it appears so. "I can't even put in minimal effort to make another human being feel worthwhile, interesting and valuable."

Quote:
And that's why traditional dating comes with more pressure, there are these so-called rules to follow. How the hell can you enjoy someone else's company when you are to busy following rules. Ultimately this article seems like another platform for young men to be blame for everything bad that's happening in society.
Why in the world would you think it's takes away from enjoyment to follow the rules of polite society? How does having good manners, grace, and dignity detract from enjoyment? Most people find it adds to enjoyment.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,194,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
From what I read here it appears so. "I can't even put in minimal effort to make another human being feel worthwhile, interesting and valuable."
But shouldn't I expect the same in return? Traditional dating seems to dictate that it's only the man's job to do this.

Quote:
Why in the world would you think it's takes away from enjoyment to follow the rules of polite society? How does having good manners, grace, and dignity detract from enjoyment? Most people find it adds to enjoyment.
You can have good manners, grace and dignity while hanging out as well. Dating seems to operate on a special set of rules.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM

947 posts, read 1,185,134 times
Quote:
Exactly. Partly why I find traditional dating to be sexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Nope, no pressure. Being a gentleman does not take a lot of effort.

Good manners, grace, and dignity are all good personal characteristics to have in any society...I think these "rules" he's referring to are gender expectations and things like "how many dates to should I do this and that" or "don't call him/her in x amount of hours/minutes/days," etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships