Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
Well if a couple uses donor eggs/embryos, she would not be the bio mom.

In situations where a couple is knowingly using donor sperm, how would we protect their privacy in the case of the mandatory paternity testing? What would you do in those situations? Why is it big brother's business if a couple did use donor sperm.

In that case she would know for sure she is NOT the mother. Point is, there is no doubt or deception.

Mandatory doesn't mean no defined exceptions. The mandatory speed limit on a highway may be 65 but the law exempts a cop responding to a call.

Sperm donors are a special case with legal anonymity. When science progresses to where knowing the parent DNA is critical then de-identified DNA samples can be provided.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think they meant the woman will always know for sure SHE is the real mother. Unless the babies get switched in the hospital and even then she still knows she is a mother.
Makes the point for matriarchy and tracing lineage through the mother. But then history and society would be very different.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM

708 posts, read 878,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

In that case she would know for sure she is NOT the mother. Point is, there is no doubt or deception.

Mandatory doesn't mean no defined exceptions. The mandatory speed limit on a highway may be 65 but the law exempts a cop responding to a call.

Sperm donors are a special case with legal anonymity. When science progresses to where knowing the parent DNA is critical then de-identified DNA samples can be provided.
There would still be the chance though, unlikely, that despite the donor egg and probably years of infertility that deception could exist and she may have slept with another man.

If the problem is simply the man and donor sperm is used, yeah she could get pregnant with the donor sperm or some other guy's sperm.

There is not perfect system to weed out all doubt and deception.

With defined exceptions, I'm assuming one would have to sign a waiver, which I see as an invasion of privacy.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
A lot of guys are focusing on hurt and humiliation caused by the cheating wife and the fact that the husband spent many years raising kids that weren’t his biologically, although he said he was happy raising the kids and always wanted to be a father, and they support monetary compensation as revenge for this humiliation. They don’t give a flip about the children.

Let’s flip this. If this bereavement compensation is set as precedence let’s say after several years a woman finds out her husband fathered child with another woman, she should be able to sue him for bereavement. Although she did not physically raise those children or contribute financially, she has suffered the same hurt and humiliation knowing her husband had sex and a child with another woman. She could have also suffered financially if her husband gave money to the child or paid for any expenses. She could suffer the same bereavement by not having had an opportunity to have a relationship with or be a mother to that child especially if she had no children with her husband.

Remember, the case was not recouping child support. The award was for bereavement ant then some for the hurt and humiliation suffered by deceit.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
A lot of guys are focusing on hurt and humiliation caused by the cheating wife and the fact that the husband spent many years raising kids that weren’t his biologically, although he said he was happy raising the kids and always wanted to be a father, and they support monetary compensation as revenge for this humiliation. They don’t give a flip about the children.

Let’s flip this. If this bereavement compensation is set as precedence let’s say after several years a woman finds out her husband fathered child with another woman, she should be able to sue him for bereavement. Although she did not physically raise those children or contribute financially, she has suffered the same hurt and humiliation knowing her husband had sex and a child with another woman. She could have also suffered financially if her husband gave money to the child or paid for any expenses. She could suffer the same bereavement by not having had an opportunity to have a relationship with or be a mother to that child especially if she had no children with her husband.

Remember, the case was not recouping child support. The award was for bereavement ant then some for the hurt and humiliation suffered by deceit.
This would be an interesting scenario to flip to my law school roommate.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Great post.

It's funny: A lot of the women are thinking of the children. A lot of the men are thinking of how they would feel in the guy's position--meaning they are thinking of themselves. Not all, but a lot. Hmmm...

Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM

708 posts, read 878,719 times
I don't have any personal interest in this subject. Unless that is, my spouse decided to take my kids to get a paternity test....then he'd have to explain why to our kids. Not something I see happening.

I would think that if society really thought this was a good idea, it would be happening already. Our mostly male controlled legislative bodies would have already passed a law mandating this, if as this thread suggests most men see this as a good idea. Maybe someone John Edwards could run for office and make this his platform.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
There would still be the chance though, unlikely, that despite the donor egg and probably years of infertility that deception could exist and she may have slept with another man.
And she may get abducted and impregnated by the Men in Black then her memories flashed. Conjuring up some 0.00001% scenario is not valid justification for continuing a system with an (estimated by some to be) 7-10% doubt.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I don't have any personal interest in this subject. Unless that is, my spouse decided to take my kids to get a paternity test....then he'd have to explain why to our kids. Not something I see happening.

I would think that if society really thought this was a good idea, it would be happening already. Our mostly male controlled legislative bodies would have already passed a law mandating this, if as this thread suggests most men see this as a good idea. Maybe someone John Edwards could run for office and make this his platform.
LOL.
I dont have any personal interest either. My kids are grown and their father passed away. I have no problem with paternity tests for those who want them. This country has always been a majority rules. We do whats best for the majority. I see no need to make testing mandatory for the personal benefit of 10% or less of the population.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Uh....not really. Thinking obviously wasn't her strong point because that's what got her into this ghetto situation in the first place. I don't care about what was on her mind.....I'm talking about the facts and not some speculations about busted condoms and birth control that just magically stopped working both times that she conceived her children. The facts are that- she knew --

Ah, ah, ah! Unless you are a mind-reader, the fact is you don't know what she was thinking. None of us do. Carry on sucking on that L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships