Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Woah! Cool! How did you change the font of your name like that?
Lol mad relevant.

But anyway my girlfriend is in grad school and I only have a HS diploma. My other friend on the other hand won't date guys who don't at least have a bachelor's degree. So I guess some do and some don't care.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 北洋舰队 View Post
I don't have a massive academic record, just an undergrad degree in health study. Do women 25 and under even care about such a thing? It seems to me that looks and social status are what prevails in young western women's minds when it comes to dating.
It depends on what women you're hanging out with. If you're going after highschool drop-outs or those who didn't go to college, you may be right, i don't know. Most college women (not all, but most) look for a partner with equal or more education, though that's beginning to change. This isn't China.

Oh, oops! I forgot--you're not Chinese. You're the guy who used to post here as "northfleet". My bad!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-15-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
I've got a BA and post-bachelor's so yeah, I do care about education, thanks for asking.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Does this help?

Young Women Are More Likely Than Men to Aspire to College, and to Graduate - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM

59 posts, read 78,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on what women you're hanging out with. If you're going after highschool drop-outs or those who didn't go to college, you may be right, i don't know. Most college women (not all, but most) look for a partner with equal or more education, though that's beginning to change. This isn't China.

Oh, oops! I forgot--you're not Chinese. You're the guy who used to post here as "northfleet". My bad!
I am 100 percent Chinese. wanna bet?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
It depends on where you're living. In a major city, yes, but again, not as much as in your home country. Asians put huge emphasis on education, parents start saving even before the kid is even born. Westerners not so much, which is why they're falling behind economically and academically. Still, a degree definitely helps, especially if the rest of the guys she's dated have it. You'll need it to make the baseline in that case.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM

59 posts, read 78,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
It depends on where you're living. In a major city, yes, but again, not as much as in your home country. Asians put huge emphasis on education, parents start saving even before the kid is even born. Westerners not so much, which is why they're falling behind economically and academically. Still, a degree definitely helps, especially if the rest of the guys she's dated have it. You'll need it to make the baseline in that case.
I think jewish put huge emphasis on education too. All my girlfriend's relatives are well educated.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
I don't have a massive academic record, just an undergrad degree in health study. Do women 25 and under even care about such a thing? It seems to me that looks and social status are what prevails in young western women's minds when it comes to dating.
I'm curious, in what way are you wanting women to value your bachelor's degree that they're not? It's not something that's going to automatically make women want you, if that's what you were expecting. Maybe that's more likely to be the case in countries where a lower percentage of the population get college degrees? I'm not sure.

I will say from my personal experience as an average-looking but highly-educated guy in the U.S., I had way more success with women in my late 20's and 30's than I did in my early 20's. I'm not sure how much of that had to do with women starting to value what I had to offer as they got older vs. me just getting better at dating, though. Probably a little of each.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corngasm View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you asking if they care about their own education, or the education of a potential partner?
Quote:
both

I think it's pretty obvious that American women on average care pretty highly about their own education level, based on the number who go to college, grad school, and professional school. There are more women than men graduating from U.S. medical schools now.

People also tend to end up with people who have similar education levels, so most (though not all) of those women with graduate degrees will eventually end up with someone who at least has a bachelor's degree.

In their early 20's, though, most people are still having fun and figuring out what they want from life. They're less likely to be focused on finding a compatible life partner at that age. Perhaps this is a difference between the East and West that you're seeing?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I think jewish put huge emphasis on education too.
For sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships