Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,812,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I think there are single groups that specifically do this kind of thing. You know, where the group of strangers meets up and goes to a new restaurant every couple of weeks. Seems to me like a great way to try new places while meeting new people.
+1. Yelp has such gatherings though I don't know if they are singles groups. But you can join and then write reviews.

I understand OP's concern since it's rare to see someone eating alone in a non fast food restaurant. People can say what they want, but the truth is people notice outliers and are judgemental a********.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I guess my larger question to the guys is, what do you think when you see an attractive woman eating by herself?
I leave her alone and let her eat.

Why do you care what other people think about you eating alone?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,663,141 times
Quote:

I'm just curious, what do guys think when they see a young woman eating by herself?
I think "lunch", and I don't mean food.

But seriously, you're a girl. You can pretty much walk up to anyone and start talking and people will be polite.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
A 10 page thread on this subject was just done a few weeks ago in the Non-Romantic Relationships section:

What's the big deal about dining/eating out alone? Why does eating out have to be a social occasion?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,039,183 times
Quote:
I'm a young black professional woman who just moved to a new city (the dc metro area) and I'd like to venture out more. The problem is, I do not have friends to venture out with. I'll admit that I feel self conscious when I eat at restaurants by myself, while other people are with their dates and/or friends. How can I overcome this?

I'm just curious, what do guys think when they see a young woman eating by herself? Do they even take note, is this all just a figment of my imagination. I definitely want to meet people (men in particular) but I don't want to come across as strange.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Watch Sex & The City and pick up Samantha's tips for "Eating Out Alone" armour.

I personally don't really care what people think.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,088,952 times
I doubt anyone even notices you eating alone. Most people are busy with their own lives and really don't care why someone is eating out alone. I don't know why people spend so much time worrying what others think when other people probably don't really think of them at all.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,307,651 times
In DC, they're probably thinking you're just another within an army of consultants on an assignment, unless you're clearly in an area where those types would NOT be found.

Sure, join a rotating dinner group like others have suggested. The other thing you can do is not sit AT the bar, but sit at the tables next to it, at ground level. I've struck up SOCIAL conversations in this manner.

I'm surprised you're not seeing other solo diners in DC. I can get over it, especially if in the US or Canada. I am slightly more self conscious doing this elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,150,869 times
Sometimes I'll bring a book if it's a sit down dining place, but if it's a bar or a bistro I won't bring anything in the futile hope that the other people there won't be immersed in their smartphones and will be available for conversation.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
Being a master of Eating out Alone, all I can say is... enjoy the food! Actually with Ipads and smartphones you will never feel awkward eating alone ever again.

As opposed to when I was always eating alone no distractions like that.

I used to eat out alone all the time while traveling for work. Dress professionally and bring a tablet or magazine. No one will ever be the wiser.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Quote:
I dislike using my phone, or reading while I'm eating. I think it makes me look like I'm trying to be busy. Besides, I much prefer to focus on the meal.

I do like the idea of sitting at the bar, instead of an actual table, since it will bring less attention to the fact that I'm eating alone.
All you have to say is hi to get a conversation going with me. I eat alone quite often. If your eating at the bar and look approachable I would say hi and strike up a conversation. If the exchange was more than a line or two and you dropped a hint that you were interested I would probably ask what you were doing later and ask you out.

On the other hand if you had your face planted in your soup or absorbed by your cell phone I may not even say hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships