Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I do like the idea of sitting at the bar, instead of an actual table,
Oops, I just realized you beat me to it with this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
All you have to say is hi to get a conversation going with me. I eat alone quite often. If your eating at the bar and look approachable I would say hi and strike up a conversation. If the exchange was more than a line or two and you dropped a hint that you were interested I would probably ask what you were doing later and ask you out.

On the other hand if you had your face planted in your soup or absorbed by your cell phone I may not even say hi.
This sounds about right!

If you want to make new friends...eat at the bar and say hi.

If you want some quiet time? Bring armor: book, magazine, smartphone, tablet......

Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This sounds about right!

If you want to make new friends...eat at the bar and say hi.

If you want some quiet time? Bring armor: book, magazine, smartphone, tablet......
Jade, think about bookstore cafes. There, you've picked out the books (the armor ) and one can easily get into a conversation. In fact, I've talked to more people in that setting than I ever have in a bar. At a bar, it's usually a pub and I'm there to eat, or I go with a group of people during happy hour for the specials.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Jade, think about bookstore cafes. There, you've picked out the books (the armor ) and one can easily get into a conversation. In fact, I've talked to more people in that setting than I ever have in a bar. At a bar, it's usually a pub and I'm there to eat, or I go with a group of people during happy hour for the specials.
Very true...books are crappy armor at a cafe.

The bar....on the other hand...it is more unusual to have a book at on a bar stool. So you look like you are not there to mingle. Or if you have a laptop.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM

353 posts, read 395,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
All you have to say is hi to get a conversation going with me. I eat alone quite often. If your eating at the bar and look approachable I would say hi and strike up a conversation. If the exchange was more than a line or two and you dropped a hint that you were interested I would probably ask what you were doing later and ask you out.

On the other hand if you had your face planted in your soup or absorbed by your cell phone I may not even say hi.
The funny part is, I'm a very sweet person, but I tend to have a very serious look. I've been told that I can come across as cold. I need to work on this by smiling much more.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I go out to eat by myself all the time. I usually sit at the bar and people watch. Sometimes some guy actually has balls to approach me but normally they don't. It really isn't as bad as you think. More than not, the bartender is more than happy to have a conversation with you..

Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
The funny part is, I'm a very sweet person, but I tend to have a very serious look. I've been told that I can come across as cold. I need to work on this by smiling much more.
Watch out. You may find with more smiles that people will just randomly talk your ear off. :P

Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
I'm an attractive young woman, and I eat alone in restaurants. I don't always have someone to go with, so I go alone and sit at the bar. While I'm fine going to lunch alone or a weekday dinner, I haven't had the courage to go alone on a Friday or Saturday night. Sometimes people talk to me, other times they don't. I usually bring something to read while I'm waiting for my meal, but I don't typically read while eating.

There were two times that male waiters made me uncomfortable about eating alone, one was especially rude about it and gave me crappy service - both of those times I was sitting alone at a table instead of the bar. The one waiter got over my being alone pretty quickly, but I could tell he was annoyed (one person = smaller tip). Of course, when my friends unexpectedly showed up, he was very eager to please. I guess two times out countless meals alone isn't bad, though.

I also suggest trying meetup groups in DC. There are some brunch or dinner groups out there, or single female groups, or singles groups that do things like this together. I need to do them in my current city. In my last city, I made some really good friends from meetup.com. Good luck to you and enjoy solo dining!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I see it all the time, especially in this area. I do it myself. I am not directly in the DC area, but I am in the metropolitan area of Northern Virginia.

I just ate lunch by myself yesterday! As far as I am concerned, I use it as a time to watch and listen to my surroundings.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM

353 posts, read 395,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I'm an attractive young woman, and I eat alone in restaurants. I don't always have someone to go with, so I go alone and sit at the bar. While I'm fine going to lunch alone or a weekday dinner, I haven't had the courage to go alone on a Friday or Saturday night. Sometimes people talk to me, other times they don't. I usually bring something to read while I'm waiting for my meal, but I don't typically read while eating.

There were two times that male waiters made me uncomfortable about eating alone, one was especially rude about it and gave me crappy service - both of those times I was sitting alone at a table instead of the bar. The one waiter got over my being alone pretty quickly, but I could tell he was annoyed (one person = smaller tip). Of course, when my friends unexpectedly showed up, he was very eager to please. I guess two times out countless meals alone isn't bad, though.

I also suggest trying meetup groups in DC. There are some brunch or dinner groups out there, or single female groups, or singles groups that do things like this together. I need to do them in my current city. In my last city, I made some really good friends from meetup.com. Good luck to you and enjoy solo dining!
I haven't tried eating alone at a restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night either. I usually just elect to cook at home or order takeout during the weekends.

I will definitely try out a meet-up group. I'm sure it will be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships