Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 AM

355 posts, read 388,924 times

Advertisements

do you CHOOSE to have no friends or do you have no friends?

if you make the choice and can get other people to understand that, then you're fine

if you can't or if you have no friends because you're not likeable, well then you're pretty much screwed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Some gals would date a 'loner' though not this gal as I find most 'loner' guys are socially awkward, boring hence why they have no social life, have unappealing personalities hence why they have no life, or they're bitter resentful misogynists because they don't have the success they want with gals.

I think gals are more judgmental on guys who have no friends as gals tend to highly value social relationships particularly friendships. Perhaps it's a good thing as if she got with a guy with no friends she'd probably end up being his sole emotional outlet/safety net and it's doubtful many would enjoy such.

Likely the vast majority of gals steer clear of 'loners' even if they meet other requirements no different than likely the vast majority of guy steer clear of gals they find unattractive, 'sluts', or single mothers even if they meet other requirements.

Lacking social skills is likely less a problem for gals as it seems most guys solely/mainly care about how a gal looks and her personality only matters in regards to her catering, placating, and pandering to his ego.
I agree with you completely. Most people really are THAT shallow, both on the male and female side of this issue, sad to say.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Heh, I thought this worked the other way around .

It's traditional in a big chunk of mainstream american culture to say that men's only close friends should be their gf's / wives. Sure, they have buddies or couple friends they hang out with, but not really friends. And the geeky introvert version of this seems to be to have no buddies, either. I know several guys like this, but no women.

Me, I don't date guys like that. I don't feel that I can have a healthy relationship with someone who doesn't have outside people to bounce stuff off of. But it's hard to find a guy who does have friends. It's not the norm, IME.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 PM

206 posts, read 254,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Heh, I thought this worked the other way around .

It's traditional in a big chunk of mainstream american culture to say that men's only close friends should be their gf's / wives. Sure, they have buddies or couple friends they hang out with, but not really friends. And the geeky introvert version of this seems to be to have no buddies, either. I know several guys like this, but no women.

Me, I don't date guys like that. I don't feel that I can have a healthy relationship with someone who doesn't have outside people to bounce stuff off of. But it's hard to find a guy who does have friends. It's not the norm, IME.
You're about to meet one.

"Buddies" didn't go to hell and return together as "acquaintances".

Buddies don't trust their life in the hands of another.

Now that could be as simple as changing ones ball joints or brakes.....maybe hunting or live fire at the range together.

Could be much much worse........too.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:16 PM

206 posts, read 254,674 times
Wills and promises.....oaths and commitments as well.

"If I die"......you get.....

"If I go first".....you get.

"Tell my daughter....that is YOURS"....keep her damn hands off.

Yeah, something like that.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
For attractive ones.
In the united states.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
That pretty much sums up my years in New York City. I was constantly making new friends because no one really stuck around, which was really frustrating and lonely. Over the years, I did wind up making a few very good friends, but we don't keep in contact all that much. They're still my friends, though, and I'm always happy to hear from when I actually do hear from them.

Now that I'm back where I'm from, I get to see some friends I've known for years and didn't see while I was in NYC. Others haven't had time for me since I've returned, which is sad, especially the ones I was really looking forward to spending more time with once I returned. Friendships are funny things: some are really great and rewarding, others are more fleeting and tenuous. Some of my friends are still great friends, but they've made it very clear their SOs come first and I need to fit in around their SO time. That's adult life, I guess.
That's good they put their SO first, otherwise they may not keep their SO. I know I demand a lot of time from my gf, if she is always too busy for me then what is the point of even being together?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
People that have no friends generally have issue going on. Take it from me, a friendless 30 year old guy who has never dated and has been working for $9 per hour for 10 years.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
People who are afraid of commitment will always date unavailable people, the best of which are loners.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
People who are afraid of commitment will always date unavailable people, the best of which are loners.
This is really interesting IMO.

IME, women may have social lives, but they typically only have a few real friends. The others are mostly acquaintances or frienimies.

I dated someone for a long time that wasn't a loner, but she had relocated and she didnt know anyone in the area.
I was her main social outlet, and her only emotional outlet other than her mom. It was difficult to deal with.

She was a sweet person, but for some reason, some known, some not, she didnt have any real local friends for about 4 years of the relationship. Back then I had so many friends, and I took that for granted.
In the end, dating that personality was a strain.

But then, I also dated someone who had a group of friends that were kind of a click, even at age 33. This one put her friends above me priority wise, and of course that was extremely difficult, more so than the 'loner'. This one said, "but my friends have always been there for me." But I believe this one truely didnt get the concept of a relationship.
Pick your poison, cause seldom does someone have the perfect mix of social time, and willingness to be available for a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships