Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM

11,783 posts, read 12,012,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I told him that going to paris for that was a little bit extreme. I was suggesting that he meet her up in Chicago or something. Still romantic, but a little less creepy since Chicago is close and it would be fairly cheap. That way it doesn't sound like he is buying her love or something. Who knows... I feel bad for him because as you all said he is probably going to be out the money and he is also going to lose some reputation points for doing it.
A romantic gesture for someone who just dumped you is insulting. I don't know the reasons for why their relationship ended, if anyone is to "blame". If I dumped my SO and then received a note and a ticket, I'd run it through the shredder. It's insulting that there were problems in our relationship to the point that I ended it, and instead of addressing them, changing behaviour, he thinks the fix is a trip somewhere and everything is magically all better. My blood would be boiling if I received that and I would want to tell him to take a leap off the Pont Neuf.

Last edited by Katnan; 01-18-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,408,682 times
Quote:
So my coworker was recently dumped by his girlfriend. I have no clue why or details about how in love they were. Yesterday he told us the following. In an attempt to acquire her back he is planning on buying 2 round trip tickets to Paris (from Chicago). One for him, one for her. He is going to put it into an envelope and mail it to her with the instructions that he will be waiting on the Pont Neuf bridge for her on a specific date and time.

Is grand gestures like this romantic?
I don't really think his gestures are very romantic at this point.

Once a girl's fed up and made up her mind, doesn't matter how grand the romantic gesture is.

She could easily dump his tickets into the ocean, and not care.

People only have so many chances.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,989,646 times
Hmm. I fail to see how it's creepy.

I think it's unwise, but nothing more.

I will go to Paris if anyone wants to mail me a ticket. Stranger danger be damned.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Hmm. I fail to see how it's creepy.

I think it's unwise, but nothing more.

I will go to Paris if anyone wants to mail me a ticket. Stranger danger be damned.
Oh yes. For sure.

On second thoughts- a ticket without him would be nice.

Awesome deal actually. Later!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,267,141 times
Quote:
So my coworker was recently dumped by his girlfriend. I have no clue why or details about how in love they were. Yesterday he told us the following. In an attempt to acquire her back he is planning on buying 2 round trip tickets to Paris (from Chicago). One for him, one for her. He is going to put it into an envelope and mail it to her with the instructions that he will be waiting on the Pont Neuf bridge for her on a specific date and time.

Is grand gestures like this romantic?

This is romantic and sweet although if it were me I would prefer him giving it to me personally

Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,031,361 times
I'm not seeing the romance in this. She broke up with him. She doesn't want to be with him. Presumably that means she doesn't want to be with him in Paris, either.

Frankly, even if he had broken up with her, it's still unwise. As someone else mentioned, trying to avoid major relationship issues by performing grand gestures is a mistake. All the cafe creme and foie gras in the world can't take the place of actual work on your relationship.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,147,880 times
Not creepy. Stupid.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,683,328 times
Definitely not romantic, and it ensures he won't get her back anytime soon. Stupid move no matter what the reason for getting dumped. He's not thinking clearly and he's about to be humiliated and be out xxx amount of dollars. This is what we call "learning the hard way".

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,717,185 times
Waste of money.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,155,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Not creepy. Stupid.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships