Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,617,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
OP don't be ashamed of living with your parents be ashamed of not doing anything at all.
1/3 young adults live with their parents, so you're not alone. Some of these people need to realize that times are hard, and society is changing.

Before anyone judges me, I go to college and have a job. I have my learners permit, but I don't need to drive (Subway).
I grew up in NYC and didn't learn to drive until I was in my last 30's. Good idea to learn to drive early in life.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
And whats wrong with living at home with my parents for another 30 years?
Really nothing if they're fine with it and that's really how you want your life to go. You can be exactly the same at 55 as you are now at 25. Except by then, men won't likely be any issue.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This is exactly why every parent in America pushes every child who has normal emotional development towards independence. So that in their golden years they are able to enjoy the fruits of hard work and relax. I'd feel like a loser if I was living with my 60 year old mother and being totally dependent on her. I also think this is why young adults get educated or place themselves into positions to be independent, so they won't have that shame of being a burden to their parents.
I don't think it's even that -- often parents very much miss the children, it's a very bittersweet time when they pack up and leave -- but parents want independence for their kids, they don't want to hold them back, they want them to be able to stretch their wings and fly away because then they will have their own life, they will be able to make it on their own.

Most parents realize that in the natural order of things, the children will survive them, and they want to know their children really can make it without them.

And the parents are sad but they realize it's time for themselves also to make their own life, they need to find ways to enjoy life without the kids -- because they got very used to having them around and it all went by so fast. Cutting the umbilical cord works both ways.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
How can I get a job when I hardly have any job experience? MOST JOBS, ADs, Job listings, etc. post in their descriptions

REQUIRED 2 YEARS PREFFERED EXPERIENCE

MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE

NEED TO HAVE THIS OR THAT

When I got 0 of that or others how the hell are you suppose to get a job?
If you're already 25, the longer you keep using that as an excuse, the more true it's going to become. Wait for 30 more years to go by and you're still dependent on your parents, still unable to drive a car, and never worked any sort of job. You'll be 55 then, in another 10 years or so you could retire -- except you won't have any social security or 401K. Time flies pretty fast once you hit age 20 --- so I think you need to realize time's a wastin' and you need to get on the stick --- now.

Any kind of paying job at all. Something that gets you started in the adult world of earning a paycheck and learning independence. It's not too late. I think kids should have some work experience at least by age 18 -- so that's only 7 years you have to catch up on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,763,846 times
Quote:
Who told you it doesn't matter?
How many people do you know from NY , exactly?
And reading from your "About me" it says you're from Florida, and you're retired. So I'm assuming you're in your 50's or 60's. I'm here to tell you that times have changed. I know education isn't about astonishment (Don't even know why you used that word for). I do know, that education is about employment, because, without employment, I won't have the self sufficient career that I seek. However, there is another factor to employments and it is called creditably. So, lets be honest, are you going to choice the candidate who is from Iowa (who went to school in Iowa), or the one who is from New York City (The Big Apple, The Empire State, and The Capital Of The World)? Seriously, who is more credible? My money is on the kid from New York.

Actually, I know many, worked and lived there, longer than you've been alive. I understand all about education and employing others. I have hired many well educated people from all parts of the world. NYC doesn't corner the market on education or viability in the job market.

I am glad that you have it all figured out, this is good. When you get your drivers license, you may
decide to branch out and explore what the rest of the USA has to offer "The Kid From New York", you
may be astonished...yet again.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM

52,007 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you're already 25, the longer you keep using that as an excuse, the more true it's going to become. Wait for 30 more years to go by and you're still dependent on your parents, still unable to drive a car, and never worked any sort of job. You'll be 55 then, in another 10 years or so you could retire -- except you won't have any social security or 401K. Time flies pretty fast once you hit age 20 --- so I think you need to realize time's a wastin' and you need to get on the stick --- now.

Any kind of paying job at all. Something that gets you started in the adult world of earning a paycheck and learning independence. It's not too late. I think kids should have some work experience at least by age 18 -- so that's only 7 years you have to catch up on.
Some good words here. The whole time flying once you hit 20 is pretty true too. I've been doing the same job for a long time now and I've been really hating it for quite a few yrs now.... I keep saying I need a change and before you know it 5 yrs has gone by.....

I don't mean to sound mean to the OP, but you need to make some moves with you life. Get that crappy low end job anywhere, CVS, walmart, target, or a waitressing job, just to make some forward movement in you life.

Go to a local community college, get some job skills at least.

It is a rough world out there and no one gives a crap about you, other then your parents, you know what I mean????

YoungMC had some sage advice back in the day "Bust a move"

Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM

757 posts, read 1,100,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Actually, I know many, worked and lived there, longer than you've been alive. I understand all about education and employing others. I have hired many well educated people from all parts of the world. NYC doesn't corner the market on education or viability in the job market.

I am glad that you have it all figured out, this is good. When you get your drivers license, you may
decide to branch out and explore what the rest of the USA has to offer "The Kid From New York", you
may be astonished...yet again.
But are you going to sit there and tell me that I don't have a slight edge over the rest of the country? I'm not saying that me being from NY is what employers are mainly going to look at but I'm sure it increases my chances...

Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,913,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This is exactly why every parent in America pushes every child who has normal emotional development towards independence. So that in their golden years they are able to enjoy the fruits of hard work and relax.
That might one reason, but a bigger one is that they want their children to have good lives. Having them be unemployed, uneducated, and dependent upon you until age 30 is not a way to set that up.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,913,647 times
Quote:
But are you going to sit there and tell me that I don't have a slight edge over the rest of the country? I'm not saying that me being from NY is what employers are mainly going to look at but I'm sure it increases my chances...
Sorry....I've been on a lot of search committees, and the state that the job candidates were from was never a factor. Not in the least. Why would it be?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM

757 posts, read 1,100,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Sorry....I've been on a lot of search committees, and the state that the job candidates were from was never a factor. Not in the least. Why would it be?
Well I've heard the opposite on more then one occasion, from employers, from professors, and career counselors. So, idk what to tell you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.