Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

Even if I was rich I wouldn't pay a huge sum for a engagement just not going to happen. Paying 80K for a ring is just insane down here you can buy a decent house or some land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
If I was male, a humungous red flag for me would be some demanding woman who insisted on an expensive engagement ring. Most of the women I know you demanded a big ring were divorced in a few years. This has been an unfailing truism throughout my life. Sure, if both parties are wealthy, then there's no problem with sending money for something as frivolous as a ring.

But for working people or middle-class people, this whole "theory" of a man spending 3 or 6 months salary on a ring... WTH?? Guess who devised that? The jewelry industry.

I have never understood why couples don't take the money they would spend on an engagment ring and put it towards a honeymoon trip. Or bars of gold. Or invest it in something tangible that will grow in value. And don't ever be manipulated by any woman who whines, "but an engagement ring is proof of his love!"

Nonsense. As if an inantimate object like a ring has any bearing on profound emotions.

One other thing-- those who claim a diamond ring is a great investment.. for who if they divorce? The women, since she keeps the ring.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's more than just income and class. It's physical appearance and intelligence as well. Most people tend to identify their appearance or intelligence as "average."
Good point. And of course with things that exist on a bell curve, like intelligence, most people do fall into the general range of "average." With income, though, the distribution is so out-of-whack in the U.S. these days that people at the 95th percentile consider themselves "middle" because they compare themselves to those at the 99th% who make many times more than them. With intelligence, the difference between 95th and 99th is not nearly as big.

Apologies for the thread-jack.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If I was male, a humungous red flag for me would be some demanding woman who insisted on an expensive engagement ring. Most of the women I know you demanded a big ring were divorced in a few years. This has been an unfailing truism throughout my life.
I can relate from experience, sadly. I mentioned earlier that I once paid about $3k for an engagement ring. It was a 1kt solitaire, princess cut. As far as diamonds go, it was nothing all that special, though to me it was a significant investment, both monetarily and emotionally. The woman for whom I bought it was excited initially, but it wasn't very long before she mentioned that a few years down the road she would want to trade up. I was a bit miffed at this. At any rate the woman for whom I bought it eventually dumped me for another guy. That was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I should have heeded the red flags along the way. The ring comment was just one of literally hundreds. Looking back, I seriously cannot explain why I stayed with this person for as long as I did.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I can relate from experience, sadly. I mentioned earlier that I once paid about $3k for an engagement ring. It was a 1kt solitaire, princess cut. As far as diamonds go, it was nothing all that special, though to me it was a significant investment, both monetarily and emotionally. The woman for whom I bought it was excited initially, but it wasn't very long before she mentioned that a few years down the road she would want to trade up. I was a bit miffed at this. At any rate the woman for whom I bought it eventually dumped me for another guy. That was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I should have heeded the red flags along the way. The ring comment was just one of literally hundreds. Looking back, I seriously cannot explain why I stayed with this person for as long as I did.
because the woman you gave it to.......wasnt the same woman a few years later???

like the old sayin, the woman i married wasnt the same woman I divorced

Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
because the woman you gave it to.......wasnt the same woman a few years later???

like the old sayin, the woman i married wasnt the same woman I divorced
Haha! I wish I could say this. By the time I gave her the ring I already knew she was bad news. Like I said, looking back...I really cannot think of one reason that justifies why I stayed with her as long as I did. Live and learn, right?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I was hanging out with a guy friend last night and we cut through a mall on our way back to the subway. It was a 'fancy mall' filled with designer stores and jewelry places and he asked for my opinion on engagement rings since he noticed I don't wear jewelry. I told him I wanted an engagement tiara and that the guy I marry would have to hang out with me while I wear it all the time. He thought about it and said 'ya know, I kind of want an engagement tiara too. And I want her to propose to me on the jumbotron during either a Bruins or Red Sox game.'

Just the though of that cracks me up. And now I want a tiara.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I was hanging out with a guy friend last night and we cut through a mall on our way back to the subway. It was a 'fancy mall' filled with designer stores and jewelry places and he asked for my opinion on engagement rings since he noticed I don't wear jewelry. I told him I wanted an engagement tiara and that the guy I marry would have to hang out with me while I wear it all the time. He thought about it and said 'ya know, I kind of want an engagement tiara too. And I want her to propose to me on the jumbotron during either a Bruins or Red Sox game.'

Just the though of that cracks me up. And now I want a tiara.
reminds me of this scene, on the big bang theory-funny!

Amy Accepting the Tiara - The Big Bang Theory - YouTube

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Op just buy something that will last. My sister in law has a ring made out of titanium. I feel white gold 24 carot is good. Many friends said their ring is worth 15 thousand. Which I agree with others, that could be a down payment on a house.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Op just buy something that will last. My sister in law has a ring made out of titanium. I feel white gold 24 carot is good. Many friends said their ring is worth 15 thousand. Which I agree with others, that could be a down payment on a house.
What if you already own a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships