Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
My ring was a lot less expensive than it could have been. I got to pick it out myself because he wanted to make sure I loved it, and I kept insisting the solitaire jeweler bring out smaller solitaires. I don't like big jewelry and it doesn't look right on me. I had the ring redesigned into a different ring and pendant a couple of years after he died.
That's my plan as well. I will pretty much propose outside of the jewelry store, and if she says yes we will walk right in and she can pick out her ring. Why would I do it like that? A.) She will get what she wants. B.) She will spend less money than I would. This is my theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
That's my plan as well. I will pretty much propose outside of the jewelry store, and if she says yes we will walk right in and she can pick out her ring. Why would I do it like that? A.) She will get what she wants. B.) She will spend less money than I would. This is my theory.
Just make sure it's clear you're proposing. I was asked if I would consider spending the rest of my life with him, so I wasn't sure if he was actually asking or if I was just supposed to think about it.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 4,357 times
I just recently got engaged. My ring was a little over 11k.......My fiance doesn't believe in 3 month salary, not even 2....He told me beforehand that he will not spend 2 or 3 months salary on a ring because there's better use of money and I agreed.
just for a reference.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Not much... ring was a CZ because it was all I had at the time. Our wedding for 80 guests was only 6k total.... mostly from money family donated. We have never been the type of people that spent a lot of money on things.

10 years later.... I snuck the ring out while my wife was at work. I had the stone replaced with a slightly larger real diamond of the same cut and placed it back in the jewelry box just as I found it.

She noticed it when we went out to dinner that night..... and was pleasantly surprised. I spent approx 7k... 1.5 ct princess cut vvs2.

By that time.... we were much better off financially. I think it is a bad idea for a guy to stress over an expensive ring.... and terrible for the woman to expect it. Not the best way to start a marriage.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
This is pretty much of a moot question in the USA today. More than half of the men and women of all ages, who live together as couples, are not legally married. With all Millennials, up to age 36, this percentage drops to about 25%. For those of age 25, it is only about 12%. For younger people, it seems likely that legal marriage will become even less frequent. Many jewelry stores may go bankrupt, unless they focus on different types of products.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is pretty much of a moot question in the USA today. More than half of the men and women of all ages, who live together as couples, are not legally married. With all Millennials, up to age 36, this percentage drops to about 25%. For those of age 25, it is only about 12%. For younger people, it seems likely that legal marriage will become even less frequent. Many jewelry stores may go bankrupt, unless they focus on different types of products.
Legal marriage is not required to share a token of a committed relationship. It is a personal choice outside the religious nor legal aspects of marriage. If anything.... diamond isn't the traditional wedding stone.. it was marketed that way to the public via an agressive marketing stragedy of DeBeers and related companies. Times and fads are changing as people seek other forms of jewelry to celebrate comittment... especially during times when families / individuals are dealing with financial hardships.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not much... ring was a CZ because it was all I had at the time. Our wedding for 80 guests was only 6k total.... mostly from money family donated. We have never been the type of people that spent a lot of money on things.

10 years later.... I snuck the ring out while my wife was at work. I had the stone replaced with a slightly larger real diamond of the same cut and placed it back in the jewelry box just as I found it.

She noticed it when we went out to dinner that night..... and was pleasantly surprised. I spent approx 7k... 1.5 ct princess cut vvs2.

By that time.... we were much better off financially. I think it is a bad idea for a guy to stress over an expensive ring.... and terrible for the woman to expect it. Not the best way to start a marriage.
Whoa! We had a guest list of about 200 and paid half that for everything...wedding, all-inclusive reception, attire, decor, invitations and programs, everything...full, formal wedding, too.

Not a critique, more a pondering on the extreme cost differential in different areas of the country.

As it stands, I know what my spouse paid for my engagement ring, though he doesn't know I know (the first bill came while he was away on military training, he had put it on a credit card issued by the jewelry store).

He spent a very reasonable sum on it, which I approve of - neither of us is big spenders on things like that. It's not a solitaire, but a three-stone setting with a line of inset smaller diamonds on either side of the three, which are not huge...total weight is I think 1 carat. More important than what it cost is the fact that it's exactly my style. I don't ever want an upgrade or any other ring, because it's the ring he picked out, and I cherish his thoughtfulness (there also isn't any way he could sneak my ring out, because it's literally never off my finger). I didn't care about getting a diamond or diamonds at all...but he preferred to go that route. I would have been fine with any token. I would never advocate stressing over jewelry.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Whoa! We had a guest list of about 200 and paid half that for everything...wedding, all-inclusive reception, attire, decor, invitations and programs, everything...full, formal wedding, too.

Not a critique, more a pondering on the extreme cost differential in different areas of the country.

As it stands, I know what my spouse paid for my engagement ring, though he doesn't know I know (the first bill came while he was away on military training, he had put it on a credit card issued by the jewelry store).

He spent a very reasonable sum on it, which I approve of - neither of us is big spenders on things like that. It's not a solitaire, but a three-stone setting with a line of inset smaller diamonds on either side of the three, which are not huge...total weight is I think 1 carat. More important than what it cost is the fact that it's exactly my style. I don't ever want an upgrade or any other ring, because it's the ring he picked out, and I cherish his thoughtfulness (there also isn't any way he could sneak my ring out, because it's literally never off my finger). I didn't care about getting a diamond or diamonds at all...but he preferred to go that route. I would have been fine with any token. I would never advocate stressing over jewelry.
Mine was in TX because we had more family there that couldn't travel.... also inclusive... we hired a string quartet from the local college. Up here... $6k wouldn't buy you food. I think my coworker just paid $65k for his wedding. That's insane.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Mine was in TX because we had more family there that couldn't travel.... also inclusive... we hired a string quartet from the local college. Up here... $6k wouldn't buy you food. I think my coworker just paid $65k for his wedding. That's insane.
We are in Kansas City. We had the local BBQ joint where we had our first date furnish the meal catering...three meat feast (smoked brisket, pulled pork, smoked turkey for the poultry eaters, plus three sides, at a cost of $12 a head...we ordered for 160 people, knowing that the allotment of a pound of meat per person (!) would be more than enough). Booze for the open bar was included in the venue rental. Our venue was a vintage 1940s movie theatre where my husband used to go to movies as a kid; it was remodeled as an event venue with tiered seating set up where the seats had been, a stage where the screen had been, and the bar in the back where concessions had been. The slushie machine was retrofitted to make wine slushies. It was owned and being run at the time by some very young dudes, who seriously underpriced it.

Everyone traveled for ours...us, included, because my husband was on military orders 600 miles away at the time. But we wanted to get married in our town, not on our temporary base.

I also got a couture gown for free at a dress giveaway event.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
I don't give a rat's behind how much money is spent on an engagement ring. If the time comes and my boyfriend spends less than $1,000 on a ring then so be it. I'm not impressed by material things. He knows that since I've told him. I rather have the money spent on us traveling together or going out doing different things that are happening in our local area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships