Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I'm in my early 30's however, most people (based on my looks) think that I'm in my early twenties.
oh god not one of these again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 AM

518 posts, read 1,004,436 times
I used to not want to tell people my age when I was in my 30s because I looked and felt younger and my age back then didn't reflect that. But once I got into my 40s, I decided to embrace my age and not be bothered if anyone knew how old I really was. I get complimented a lot by people who think I'm in my early 30s and when I tell them I'm going to be 48, their eyes open wide and they say, "wow, that's good genetics!" or something similar. I like the skin I'm in and I like the age that I am. I'm very youthful in mind and spirit, but I love the wisdom that I've accumulated throughout my life and proud at what I've accomplished thus far. I wouldn't want to be in my 20s again if a magic genie offered it to me.I like where I am in my life right now and I'm happy with the way I look and feel.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
I'll be 40 this year, and I take it as a huge compliment when people think I'm younger than that. I usually do tell them my real age, and a lot of times they don't believe me.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
The thing I think many women don't consider, is that when we men try to guess your age, we're always going to aim low --Significantly lower than we think you really are, in fact. We have everything to gain by flattering you by guessing too low, and everything to lose by insulting you by guessing too high. I assure you, the vast majority of you look the age that you actually are, even though everyone usually guesses that you're younger.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
The thing I think many women don't consider, is that when we men try to guess your age, we're always going to aim low --Significantly lower than we think you really are, in fact. We have everything to gain by flattering you by guessing too low, and everything to lose by insulting you by guessing too high. I assure you, the vast majority of you look the age that you actually are, even though everyone usually guesses that you're younger.
So you think we all look old? Actually your wrong. Many think I am lying to make myself older. Who does that other than teens and 20 somethings?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
So, even though I'm 36 - are you saying people don't really think I'm 12?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Lol. I saw your pic. You do look young.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
So you think we all look old?
That isn't what I said. I said most people look their age. That means neither younger nor older. A few (very few) people look significantly older or younger than they actually are, but a much larger percentage are told that they look younger than they are, because we generally want to flatter people more than we want to insult them.

Does that make sense?

I realize everyone thinks they're one of the few who really does look younger, and not part of the majority who are being flattered, but statistically that just isn't likely. I'm not saying this to insult anyone personally. (I don't even know or care what any of you look like individually.) I'm just trying to shed a little perspective.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh come now Dewdrop, stop trying to fool yourself, you look 13 ok

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
I always put my age out there. I look much younger than my age and I like people to know that hitting 30's does not equal declining looks. I am nearing 35 and many people still think I am mid-20's. And I'm proud of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships