Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I still feel like that the house we're living in is hers not ours. She reminds me in the sweetest voice that this place belongs to the both of us. She always follows by "it will always be ours" Make's me feel good about moving forward with her.
Why doesn't the house feel like an "our house"? Did she have/buy it before you came along? Was it part of a divorce settlement that still has traces of another man (things that are more to his liking)? Is it decorated with only her stuff and likes?

If you don't feel as though it's "our house", either renovate to bring some of your personality into it or find a house that you both love and make it an "our house".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
I've always believe the little things hold the most weight. Being military I am bred to be detail oriented thus the little things details come as second nature. Amazing how much gratitude you will endure via these little things.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
I never got used to the fact that someone as amazing as my wife wanted, actually wanted to be with someone like me.

I've had to make a concious decision to let her do more for me. I've always been very independent and I didn't realise until a few years ago (and especially recently) just how much this upset her...... hard to explain really. I always have and do leave the little messages and origami sculptures about the place and cooked meals and stuff like that but I missed what she wanted to do for me. It was all her saying she'd do something for me and me going "it's ok love, i'll do it"..... i've had to learn to stop doing that.

She loves it... strange woman.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Why doesn't the house feel like an "our house"? Did she have/buy it before you came along? Was it part of a divorce settlement that still has traces of another man (things that are more to his liking)? Is it decorated with only her stuff and likes?

If you don't feel as though it's "our house", either renovate to bring some of your personality into it or find a house that you both love and make it an "our house".
Not used to saying ours more then anything. The house WE are staying in belongs to her mom & has been in the family for many generations. No one has loved there but her & now me. We both have VERY similar tastes so renovating it won't be much of a problem. Her mom wants us to buy the house & we're thinking about it we really want some land though about 5 or 6 acres.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I never got used to the fact that someone as amazing as my wife wanted, actually wanted to be with someone like me.

Same here I keep messing with her & telling her that she must be some kind of mental illness runs in her family & I'm proof of that! I feel like she is WAY out of my leauge when I look at her.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
I've always given my honey a kiss & hug before i leave our home ,or she would leave for work or the store, etc..

Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
As if on cue, my wife ordered me a book. It probably arrived yesterday but sat in our mail box until I remembered to go outside and get the mail. It's a barbecue recipe book, focussing on sauces, rubs, and marinades. She probably only spent $12 on it, which isn't a lot. It may seem like a little thing, getting a barbecue book. But this is exactly what I'm talking about, though. She sees something that she thinks I'll like and she gets it for me. I have to admit, while I have done stuff like this as well, she is MUCH better at it than I am!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM

344 posts, read 396,023 times
A few months ago I began keeping V-8 Juice in my refrigerator, my guy's preferred morning drink. Not long afterwards I began stocking Pizza Bits, his favorite snack food. Then I procured Dove Men + Care soap, and AXE Pure Metal shampoo, to be placed in my shower. Lastly came a Keurig Coffee Maker purchased primarily for my coffee-drinking frequent guest. I would have bought all these things at once, but I wanted to drag-out as long as possible the appreciation rendered from them.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Years ago i got into the habit of leaving little love notes around for my beloved wife, letting her know how much she meant to me. I put notes in places like on her pillow, by her coffee cup, on her chair, by her makeup, by her silverware, in her lunch bag, in her car......
That is very nice of you.

I need to personally start doing a bit more of that type of stuff myself.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
A few months ago I began keeping V-8 Juice in my refrigerator, my guy's preferred morning drink. Not long afterwards I began stocking Pizza Bits, his favorite snack food. Then I procured Dove Men + Care soap, and AXE Pure Metal shampoo, to be placed in my shower. Lastly came a Keurig Coffee Maker purchased primarily for my coffee-drinking frequent guest. I would have bought all these things at once, but I wanted to drag-out as long as possible the appreciation rendered from them.
I would marry you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships