Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,726,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
...what's wrong with suggesting she join a religious group? Her unusual life choice is based on her religious convictions, so it sounds like good advice to me.

Go read how it was said 'they're the only ones who are going to agree with your antiquated views,' It wasn't a suggestion it was just as 'condemning' and as much as a dig as what she said. So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Go read how it was said 'they're the only ones who are going to agree with your antiquated views,' It wasn't a suggestion it was just as 'condemning' and as much as a dig as what she said. So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
That was probably a harsh way to word it, but the word antiquated is accurate here, and while religious people may not be the only people with those views, they're certainly the vast majority of them.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,726,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
That was probably a harsh way to word it, but the word antiquated is accurate here, and while religious people may not be the only people with those views, they're certainly the vast majority of them.
Go join a religious group or a convent (my personal favorite) is what it is.....

If they can say that she can certainly say the opposite and it's just going to be too bad isn't it. Just is very funny to me how people trot out: "you're self absorbed" and "righteous" when that's the same thing they're displaying. LOL. Those were my points.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM

855 posts, read 1,383,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
What happened to good virtuous women, period? Most of the women I see, behave like SNAKES.
Agree Lakeshore. Totally agree!

There are venomous women who don't warn you before they bite you like a rattlesnake does. They are more like a cobra or viper. Bite you and leave you wounded when you try to escape. You won't get very far because she'll find you and kill you off in the process. Seen it happen to many a good man.

Other women are like constrictors. They squeeze all the life out of you once they've got themselves wrapped around you. The more you fight, the tighter they get. Seen it happen to many a good man.

I've met some wonderful ladies in my life but there are only a handful that I would call good and virtuous aside from the women in my family. These are the women who love treating a man with respect and know how to care of him.

The kind of woman that greets you with a beer and a spliff in hand and knows how to chill and relax with you.

The kind of woman that Charlie Rich sang about in his song Behind Closed Doors.

"And she makes me glad that I'm a man, cause no one knows what goes on behind closed doors."

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Go join a religious group or a convent (my personal favorite) is what it is.....

If they can say that she can certainly say the opposite and it's just going to be too bad isn't it. Just is very funny to me how people trot out: "you're self absorbed" and "righteous" when that's the same thing they're displaying. LOL. Those were my points.
Okay. I still don't see those as equivalent, but even if they are, she is the one who is having difficulty and asking for help, meaning she is the one who is going to have to change something if she wants a different outcome. The advice she received, though presented with varying levels of bluntness, was mostly spot on, I would say.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Why is it so hard to find a nice/intelligent guy (of any race) who will continue to date me long-term, after I inform him that I do not believe in pre-marital sex? I'm attractive, well educated and in great shape. Also, I enjoy cooking. It's too bad that far too many men are pre-occupied with sex.

Whatever happened to men dating, appreciating and adoring good virtuous women?
There are still closeted uber religious dudes out there willing to wait on your whim or magical fairy belief of when to decide to have sex. Ohh and don't complain when you find out they are endowed with a twig and never satisfy you.....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,010,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
In all fairness, isn't it the religious types who believe it's a woman's duty to never deny her man?

In just as much fairness, different religions believe and/or practice different things. I don't make my calls based on that; I make them based on what I observe in people, and while I get your "dig" (if I read it correctly), just because a woman doesn't necessarily deny sexual access doesn't mean her partner will ever enjoy anything more than straight-up missionary -- at least until she hears that in literature it's sometimes referred to as the beast with two backs, at which point she'll put the Christian version of the kibosh on that, too. As a man dating her and discovering she held this stringently to such a sexual view, I'd also worry that she'd consider intercourse as solely for the purpose of procreation rather than REcreation.

OP, despite that you appear to have vanished (as inferred by your lack of further response), just in case you're still reading, I'll say this:

The views you're holding are antiquated. I do NOT say this because I don't agree with your views and/or practices (I don't, but I don't decry them either); rather, because times have changed.

There was a time when people simply didn't talk about what went on behind closed marital doors; the airing of dirty laundry was virtually a taboo matter, kept hush-hush, and so when it came to things sexual in "modern" American society with our Puritanical background, the notion that a woman's willingness to have sex might "dry up" after marriage wasn't necessarily a thing considered among any outside of 1) men who were already married or 2) comedy which hinted at such a thing tongue-in-cheek (since it certainly wasn't going anywhere else).

And further, for a LONG time now, I would dare say time immemorial, premarital sex has been something of a "norm" in most societies, kept just as hush-hush as the opposite.

But in our modern age information has been out there in broad publication and the openness of the public eye for more than fifty years.

Men who once might have considered marriage as a viable path toward a safely monogamous relationship (and no, I am NOT saying this is all men any more than it is all woman) are NOW considering other outcomes. Do most of them worry that sex will dry up once they say "I do"? No, of course not; but then, most of them don't run into women such as yourself who have held out for quite a long stretch of their adult life.

Again -- I am NOT saying you're wrong; but whether you realize it or not (perhaps even whether you like it or not) SEX is a big part of marriage. It is FAR from the only part, but it remains a large part for BOTH parties, generally. Women love sex just as much as do men.

So when men meet a woman of your age and discover your criteria, they're not walking because "Oh, HELL no!"

They're walking because not only is dating a real investment of time and money on the part of both parties (the money can go fly a kite, but you are NEVER getting that TIME back, and every day you are NOT getting younger), marriage is an even larger investment of time, money, mutual financial dependence and trust in material goods and -- in the event things do NOT work out -- social humiliation, personal discomfort, the risk of both financial and emotional loss, etc.

These men aren't saying you're not worth the effort. What they're asking themselves is: Why risk it?

I sincerely do hope you find what you're looking for; but I fear your expectations may very well be unrealistic.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,407 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard to find a nice/intelligent guy (of any race) who will continue to date me long-term, after I inform him that I do not believe in pre-marital sex? [/b]
Because sex is a natural, healthy, joyful part of any adult relationship, and going without it is stressful and, frankly, unnecessary.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,275,745 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard to find a nice/intelligent guy (of any race) who will continue to date me long-term, after I inform him that I do not believe in pre-marital sex? I'm attractive, well educated and in great shape. Also, I enjoy cooking. It's too bad that far too many men are pre-occupied with sex.

Seem like a prude. You need to lighten up but, use protection, once you are sure he's not there just to have sex.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,192,426 times
Quote:

many guys would appreciate this- but you have to avail yourself to meeting decent guys..

sounds like a christians single club might work for you- and dont be afraid to approach a guy you might be interested in- give him a smile, a hint,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.