Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you return a gift from a ex back to them.
Yes 5 55.56%
No 2 22.22%
Yes, if were not friends anymore. 2 22.22%
No, We are still friends 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,743 times

Advertisements

So when i was dating my boyfriend he gave me his high school class ring with his name on it. Which cost a lot. We broke up and i gave it back to him and he ask me why? I don't get why he question it when he has a girlfriend hes been with since week after we broke up. and couple months ago he told me he didnt want to be friends with me anymore and we havent talk since. So does he think im just always gonna be there for him whenever he needs me and just use me? shouldn't he be happy he got his ring back since it was his in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times
I wouldnt read too much into that comment if I were you. His actions (i.e. leaving you and starting another relationship) is the strongest statement he has made as to where you stand in the grand scheme of things. I'd say, its nice of you to return the ring but ummmmm do your best to close the door on that episode, and focus on enjoying yourself..

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Thank you, it was also verbally abusive relationship i was in. And i have close the door. I didnt even say anything when he sent the message. Even when he broke up with me he said told he like someone else. after 2 years of dating and being best friends for about 5.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I think you did a very nice thing by returning the ring to him. Maybe he questioned it because he did not expect it?

It speaks a lot of you that you can be a mature person in the face of a breakup and still care for him enough to return something like that, instead of seek to do something malicious! Sounds like you will be a nice catch for a much better guy than he is!!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove150 View Post
So when i was dating my boyfriend he gave me his high school class ring with his name on it. Which cost a lot. We broke up and i gave it back to him and he ask me why? I don't get why he question it when he has a girlfriend hes been with since week after we broke up. and couple months ago he told me he didnt want to be friends with me anymore and we havent talk since. So does he think im just always gonna be there for him whenever he needs me and just use me? shouldn't he be happy he got his ring back since it was his in the first place.
maybe he wanted you to keep it as a way to keep his options open. most guys think a ring signifies something deep and a girl feels won over with it.

Your returning his ring back probably caught him by surprise. I hope he's not the type of guy who thinks that girls can be easily bought and won over by expensive presents as I know some of the misconceptions of women being the mysterious species is we tend to go for guys for money, jewelry, cars and other fancies.

You proved him wrong. Classiness and style!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM

im thinking he probably thinks since i return it. that im done and have moved on. Which is the case.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Unless it's worth a lot, I would burn anything from an ex. Damn memories are not wanted.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Normally I'd say a gift is something that is given unconditionally - but the tradition of giving a girlfriend your own personalized class ring is more like a promise ring where it's given as a symbol of the relationship and therefore on the condition of being in a relationship together. It's not something he got for you, it's something he got for himself and then wanted you to have something of his. It's not really yours and therefore it's not really yours to keep. What would you do with someone else's class ring anyway? So yes, I'd say you did the right thing by giving it back.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM

365 posts, read 489,893 times
I'm not sure what side to take on this. A lot of cases you could/should return but on the other hand you could keep some stuff. An example would be in order to find out what's right or wrong. But everyone's different and has their own opinion. If it's a stuffed animal that they bought for you; I don't see the harm in keeping it. If it's jewelry, I would want her to keep it. I would not want her to return it. I some aspects in my mind it says, I'm sorry things didn't work out but the good times will always be remembered.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
If it was an item they wanted back and I had no use for it, then fine, give it back. If I want the gift and have use for it -- then no. You don't give someone a gift and expect it back when things don't work out. Don't give gifts in the first place, if that's your mentality about it. The exception: engagement ring. No marriage, ring should go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships