U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM

1,375 posts, read 699,437 times
You're go there for the purpose of celebrating your friend's wedding; whether you go there stag or with a date should make no difference. But for some reason people are self-conscious about this crap.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM

8,260 posts, read 4,582,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I follow you around everyone?

Ok.

I presume you mean I follow you around everywhere.

Yes I am drawn irrestistably to your threads, and not because avoiding them is like avoiding dung in a cattle run, or because they are prolific, insane and unavoidable. No sir.

Like a moth to a flame, like a checkout chick to a wierd little badger, like a lemming to the cliff, I am powerless in the face of your sheer animal magnetism.

I am only a woman, after all, and you are The Badger. I simply cannot resist.
That? Was hilarious. All he saw was "unavoidable."

And Badger, dear, unless your invitation says Badger and Guest, it would be extremely ill-mannered of you to bring anyone to this wedding.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM

607 posts, read 356,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

And Badger, dear, unless your invitation says Badger and Guest, it would be extremely ill-mannered of you to bring anyone to this wedding.
It says Badger and guest, thanks though.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 PM

3,768 posts, read 3,950,356 times
I never understood why some people feel like they have to bring a date to a wedding. When I was single, I went to several weddings completely alone and sat with family or friends. If anything I felt uncomfortable bringing a casual date to a wedding. Seemed like something you want to bring someone your more serious with.

Usually the bridal party seats you with similar people.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM

6,629 posts, read 5,504,335 times
If you were a hot chick I'd offer to be your hot date.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM

9,253 posts, read 3,956,669 times
IMHO, the most important day of a cherished friend's life is not my date night. That's also how I looked at it when I got married, too. If my guests had been seeing someone for more than 6 months, that person was on the invitation. Otherwise, nope. No strangers at my wedding, and I think it's kind of rude when people want to bring one.

So think of it in those terms. Your buddy and his fiancee, or their families, are probably paying a nice piece of change for the reception. Consider it another "gift" that you're not adding another $50 or whatever to their bill for a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Don't get me started on the "and Guest" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I never understood why some people feel like they have to bring a date to a wedding. When I was single, I went to several weddings completely alone and sat with family or friends. If anything I felt uncomfortable bringing a casual date to a wedding. Seemed like something you want to bring someone your more serious with.

Usually the bridal party seats you with similar people.
That, too. Who wants to babysit a date when they can be having a blast with their buddies?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 PM

815 posts, read 960,270 times
Who cares if you don't have a date for a wedding.

I've done that a couple times before and I've had girls come up to me. It works. Got to have girls to chase me. No awkwardness despite other people having relationships.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM

3,768 posts, read 3,950,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
IMHO, the most important day of a cherished friend's life is not my date night. That's also how I looked at it when I got married, too. If my guests had been seeing someone for more than 6 months, that person was on the invitation. Otherwise, nope. No strangers at my wedding, and I think it's kind of rude when people want to bring one.
And see, I didn't even think about that. Wedding food costs mad money. Who wants to pay a plate for some random date someone found.

Another good point!

I dunno. I just always felt like weddings are places that make you think about the future and serious relationships and the like. Not the place to take a casual date.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM

31,708 posts, read 17,377,984 times
OP, a lot of guys would kill to be in your position! They know that weddings are a prime place to meet eligible bachelorettes.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM

8,347 posts, read 6,941,032 times
Well, it is always good to vent.
But, I actually think going without a date is advantageous up to a certain age. Both parties will likely have friends and family, some of whom you might spark an interest in, and you'll be free to pursue conversations and future dates etc. So, look on the bright side...Nothing worse than settling for taking someone just because, and wishing you were free to sidle over and talk to that little cutie in the corner.

Last edited by JanND; 01-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships