U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM

3,018 posts, read 5,089,306 times

Advertisements

So I saw this thread in the Work/Employment forum and I had to replicate it for the Relationship forum. Thanks to L'Artiste for the idea.

What would you tell yourself in the years past now that you have the advantage of hindsight? It can be funny, serious, goofy, sarcastic, etc.

I would tell myself to stay fit and don't fret about your high school love. She is basket case anyway.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
I'd tell my younger self to treat my girlfriend (now wife) better. She has been the one constant in a life peppered with loss and grief. I took her for granted when I was younger. I regret that. She jokes that it's a good thing she had such low self esteem as a teen otherwise she would have missed out on the man I grew up to be.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM

2,398 posts, read 2,646,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
So I saw this thread in the Work/Employment forum and I had to replicate it for the Relationship forum. Thanks to L'Artiste for the idea.

What would you tell yourself in the years past now that you have the advantage of hindsight? It can be funny, serious, goofy, sarcastic, etc.

I would tell myself to stay fit and don't fret about your high school love. She is basket case anyway.
I would tell myself to avoid a certain someone at the age of 18 and to stay home on the 27th of November 2009

Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
1. Relax. It's not a contest or a race. You're not judged on the number of notches in your bedpost, but rather on how you've treated the people in your life.
2. It's not all about you all the time.
3. Be the kind of person the other person would want to be around when you're not in the sack. And don't be with someone who you wouldn't want to be around otherwise.
4. At all times, be kind and considerate. I don't care if you live in Manhattan. The circles in which you run are a lot smaller than you think. Plus it's the right thing to do.
5. It is more important to be a good listener. At the same time, it's most important of all to not buy into her baloney just because you think you'll get laid. Because, at some point, she'll dish it out just to see what you do.
6. Always listen to your gut. It's smarter than your brain.
7. Drink less than the others. The person who drinks too much is always the fool at a party.
8. When asked a hard question, wait a full three seconds before giving your answer.
9. I don't care how freakishly attractive the other person is. If that person doesn't make good conversation at breakfast the next morning, cut your losses.
10. Never, ever, ever be with anyone who makes you feel bad about yourself. S/Os, so-called 'friends,' acquaintances, you name it.
11. Above all, Respect Yourself as a person who has value and worth.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM

3,018 posts, read 5,089,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'd tell my younger self to treat my girlfriend (now wife) better. She has been the one constant in a life peppered with loss and grief. I took her for granted when I was younger. I regret that. She jokes that it's a good thing she had such low self esteem as a teen otherwise she would have missed out on the man I grew up to be.
That is a great compliment! Despite its troubling roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I would tell myself to avoid a certain someone at the age of 18 and to stay home on the 27th of November 2009
Hehehe. Am curious what that night had in store.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 72,448 times
What cpg35223 said sums it up pretty darn nicely But I'd also tell my younger self to look out for myself more, rather than always feeling the need to take care of others and put their needs before my own, and to say NO more when I know that I should. I'd tell myself to stay away from a certain pathological liar who wreaked havoc on my life and self-esteem. And also to have given my old bff Jay a chance. I truly missed out on what something special there, and it's something I will always regret.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM

2,398 posts, read 2,646,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Hehehe. Am curious what that night had in store.
My wild days lol that was the start of a downward spiral for sure

I reference to your comment is that all you'd tell yourself?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM

13,230 posts, read 11,754,597 times
"Stop being an anti-social hermit unless you want to be an unmarried virgin at 30."

Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM

966 posts, read 1,835,789 times
It doesn't matter what I would tell a younger me.

I wouldn't listen.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM

39,356 posts, read 14,429,150 times
Duplicate thread topic: One piece of advice you'd give a teenage you

Duplicate threads are not allowed. Sorry!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.