Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly_96 View Post
When did I mention such things then?
You seem to imagine really extreme things out of all this.
Are you really saying that women in general do not like to be protectively embraced by their boyfriend, for example?
Every female friend I know finds this extremely pleasant.

*Sigh*, I have no idea how to explain this without creating super-weird misunderstanding again, but let me put it this way - it's about showing that you want the guy's company and allows him to feel like a protector, not about that you need him.
I stated this in my original post as well.
My examples were vaguely hyperbolic extensions of the examples you gave. There are plenty of ways to show your partner you want them around without acting like a child.

Look, you're 16 and you've got a lot of years of dating ahead of you. In time you'll see that trying to play the cute little girl isn't so cute and will just leave your boyfriend thinking you're too immature to take care of yourself.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM

180 posts, read 479,461 times
Quote:
Why?
What's so terrible about liking the protection of a big strong man?
Do all girls hate muscular protective men now all of a sudden?

I did not mean to "play" it either, just being like that naturally and enjoying it.
Are you really claiming that you are not the least pleased by feeling that your boyfriend is capable of protecting you?
I assume all your female friends despise everything even remotely related to feeling protected as well, then?
First time I've ever heard anything like this in that case, to be honest.
I am perfectly capable of protecting myself. I do not need a protector. I know he is stong/capable and I feel very safe when I am out with him; however, I do not naturally gravitate to becoming a "damsel in distress" in the face of adversity, unpleasent situations, scary animals, ect. If something arises where I would need to be protected from a big spider to a jerk in a bar bothering me....I know how to deal with both.

You like being protected and have stated that it comes very naturally for you, great. There are just other women who don't fall into that catergory. My natural state is fierce independence

Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
The sad part is that these "little weak women" carries their childish mentality throughout their entire life. I've seen it over and over again here in Florida. When I watch this behavior, I could vomit a bucketful.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM

45 posts, read 64,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post
I am perfectly capable of protecting myself. I do not need a protector. I know he is stong/capable and I feel very safe when I am out with him
Okay fine, that's exactly what I have been mentioning myself all along - not needing to be protected, just wanting the boyfriend around and letting him feel manly and protective as a consequence.
At least, that's the point I've been trying to make, but I guess the term "damsel in distress" created some kind of illusion of a "100% helpless underage girl with no abilities whatsoever to handle anything ever in life" - which I have never ever even implied.

This is not at all about "trying to play helpess", it's about not trying to hide the natural instinctive attraction for protective men.
Being physically weaker and letting a guy help out or being protective in that aspect is not the same thing as being unable to control one's own life.

Last edited by Butterfly_96; 01-31-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have TWO Southernisms from movies that I find especially funny - when Southern humor was considered slightly more appropriate (insert accent):
- 007 "Live and Let Die" - "A secret agent??? On who's side????"
- "Smokey and the Bandit" - "Trans Am!!! What's your pleasure?"
I think I'm going to have to spend my Friday taking snippets of youtube videos and putting them on my computer.

God help us all.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
At least, that's the point I've been trying to make, but I guess the term "damsel in distress" created some kind of illusion of a "100% helpless underage girl with no abilities whatsoever to handle anything ever in life" - which I have never ever even implied.
Gee, I wonder why the term "damsel in distress" was so off-putting to so many of us, male AND female.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Gee, I wonder why the term "damsel in distress" was so off-putting to so many of us, male AND female.
"Damsel in distress".

Literal translation - "young girl in need of help".

Sorry, but I can't see anything offensive about that.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
"Damsel in distress".

Literal translation - "young girl in need of help".

Sorry, but I can't see anything offensive about that.
No, but your quest for attention and manipulative wording is what's offputting. Sorry. It's the New Millennium. Gender roles are still identifiable, but we've moved past the Victorian era.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, but your quest for attention and manipulative wording is what's offputting. Sorry. It's the New Millennium. Gender roles are still identifiable, but we've moved past the Victorian era.
Gender roles are still identifiable, yes, and that's not a bad thing.
And men are naturally more protective than women, and that's not a bad thing either.

Let me link to that site again, here is an explanation of what I'm talking about:

http://www.lovepanky.com/women/datin...el-in-distress

"HOW TO BE A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS WHO’S NOT NEEDY
It’s easy to be the woman that you are, and yet make your man feel like a real man. Just use these tips, and you’ll definitely make him appreciate you and feel great about himself.

Remember that men love an independent woman. But they feel terrible about themselves when their woman doesn’t need them at all. You may be perfectly capable of handling everything in your life, but ask a man for a manly helping hand now and then and he’ll feel good about it.

Ask him to help you in a man’s job
Are you having trouble carrying something heavy? Do you need help fixing a car, or perhaps a door hinge? Or are you feeling nervous to walk down the street after dusk? Ask a man for help.
A man likes helping a woman when he feels like he’s doing a superior job. Make him assume there’s no way you could ever have made it through without his help and his ego will swell. He’ll definitely feel more like a man around you. And yes, he’ll like you for it.

Thank him and don’t forget that flirty smile
While men absolutely love helping a woman in need, they are put off by women who can’t be grateful for it. If you ask a guy to help you, but don’t really show your appreciation, he may just avoid helping you or may even ignore you. No one likes being taken for granted, especially a man.
Always thank a man and compliment him when he helps you. Complimenting a man with a flirty smile and a twinkle in your eyes will definitely make his heart skip a beat. And he’ll be more than happy to help you out again.

Show off your independence
If you’re dating a guy, don’t play the damsel in distress all the time. Ask him for some manly help when he’s around. But when he isn’t with you, don’t call him over and ask him to help you out unless you really do need his help. By letting him know that you’re completely capable of running your own life effortlessly without his help, he’d respect you more. A man always loves an independent woman who doesn’t really need him, but wants him.
"

Does this make it easier to understand my point?
Note the "not needy" and "independence" parts.
I mean come on, how can something like this be wrong?
Do you really "feel like vomiting" just because you see a girl who asks a man for some manly help with something on some occasion?
That's definitely exaggerating things a lot.

Last edited by Butterfly_96; 01-31-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Gender roles are still identifiable, yes, and that's not a bad thing.
And men are naturally more protective than women, and that's not a bad thing either.
Feeling safe is one thing. Doing things to prove that they will protect you is stupid. Games like that are for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships