Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
Do you think they also outta put their marriage on hold to figure this out???
Yes, of course! That's what engagements are for--to sort through all this stuff, if they haven't already.
Lives in which people just close their eyes and take the plunge, then try to muddle through afterwards, tend not to work out as well as those in which people keep their eyes open, communicate with each other, and plan. Especially when the plans far outsize anticipated resources. Not a good sign, not good at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lives in which people just close their eyes and take the plunge, then try to muddle through afterwards, tend not to work out as well as those in which people keep their eyes open, communicate with each other, and plan.
wow, that is major generalization. i tend to believe that love doesn't always play by the rules of logic, especially over time. to each his/her own.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
wow, that is major generalization. i tend to believe that love doesn't always play by the rules of logic, especially over time. to each his/her own.
And... too many young couples follow your opinions on love... which is why there is a 50% marriage failure rate and so many single parents.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And... too many young couples follow your opinions on love... which is why there is a 50% marriage failure rate and so many single parents.
aww, such an unromantic perspective of love and marriage (more emphasis on practical). I still believe that love and faith conquer all too. in another thread that said that marriage is slowly developing into the business of having a family, more functional less emotional. so i understand your perspective too.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know why are we discussing things that are affecting that fiance and his GF. They should sort those things out and proceed according to their wishes. It's their life...
Really? this from a mod? It's a discussion forum.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
If a pay cut is the tradeoff for personal happiness, that's how it goes, sometimes, but you really have to decide if the personal happiness you get from ostensibly doing the more rewarding work is going to be enough...and if the pay cut dents your economic lifestyle in such a way that you can't meet your obligations, or just simply have to give up comforts to which you are accustomed and that's NOT okay with you, the more rewarding work may not end up being enough for you in the long run. It really depends on your personality more than anything.

I don't know. As a person (and a PROFESSIONAL, no less!) who has really always worked in traditionally modestly paying fields, my personal experience has been such that I look at lower end salaries and say, "Yeah, that's doable," and not "Gasp! How would I ever make ends meet??" Because I've done and know it can be done. But not everyone is going to be able to or want to adjust their lifestyle in such a way as to accommodate a significant pay cut. People need to be realistic about whether or not the "more rewarding life" they anticipate on paper ends up being the real deal when they're actually living the life they had to significantly adjust if they make the active choice to do the "less pay, more fulfilling work" option. Some people find that it's not worth the tradeoff. Some people are much more flexible about their standard of living than others.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM
miu

Quote:
Do you think they also outta put their marriage on hold to figure this out??? Getting married also means that the couple love each other enough to handle the challenges they face together. And for me, getting married involves a mutual desire to start a family and raise children together. I know others may have a different opinion, but that's my take.
Some marriages/relationships fail when the couple grows apart. And they've only been together for three years... and they are still in the honeymoon stages of their relationship (usually around 5-7 years). I think that the honeymoon phase is when the couple's love feelings are mainly based on crush/infatuation attractions. Real true love is what's left after the honeymoon period.

And what my parents have often said to me is... marriage is important when real estate or children are involved. Otherwise, it's not critical to be married in this day and age since it's socially acceptable to have sex outside of a marital contract. So there is no reason for the OP's friend to rush into marriage with his fiance.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
aww, such an unromantic perspective of love and marriage (more emphasis on practical). I still believe that love and faith conquer all too. in another thread that said that marriage is slowly developing into the business of having a family, more functional less emotional. so i understand your perspective too.
I think if people really know each other inside and out and really love each other enough - then they can probably conquer most things. However, it sounds like maybe the couple in question do not really know each other inside and out - and that may have an impact on their love for one another. I think that you should go into marriage knowing that it's not always going to be smooth sailing - emotionally, physically, and financially. If you don't love the person enough to weather the bad times - maybe it's not the right person for you. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean;28082061[B
]aww, such an unromantic perspective of love and marriage[/b] (more emphasis on practical). I still believe that love and faith conquer all too. in another thread that said that marriage is slowly developing into the business of having a family, more functional less emotional. so i understand your perspective too.
Many say that Americans are too obsessed with wanting true love and marriage to follow a fairy tale path... in other cultures, like Asian ones, marriages are approached in a much more practical way where the unions are designed to enhance the well being of both families involved. One of my Chinese friends with an arranged marriage and who is 12 years my senior, used to state very matter of factly that love comes in time.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Some marriages/relationships fail when the couple grows apart. And they've only been together for three years... and they are still in the honeymoon stages of their relationship (usually around 5-7 years). I think that the honeymoon phase is when the couple's love feelings are mainly based on crush/infatuation attractions. Real true love is what's left after the honeymoon period.

And what my parents have often said to me is... marriage is important when real estate or children are involved. Otherwise, it's not critical to be married in this day and age since it's socially acceptable to have sex outside of a marital contract. So there is no reason for the OP's friend to rush into marriage with his fiance.
While I completely agree with your second paragraph, i completely disagree with your thoughts in bold. IMHO, love is dynamic and so it develops and grows depending on the time and commitment involved in being together.

I see you are a committed humanist and atheist. I believe in a christian love: "love is patient, love is kind".... just different i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships