Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So another person who never plans on buying a ring, posting on a thread about how much to spend on a ring.
Bingo!

My SO proposed last fall, and I was completely unsuspecting. What I know about the ring is the carat/cut/clarity/colour, it's a Canadian-mined diamond, the appraised value but not the purchase price, that he bought it from a wholesaler and spent 2 months searching for the right ring, went to 27 different jewelry stores.

He put a lot of thought and a lot of love into this purchase and that's ultimately what matters, not the price tag. Spend what you're comfortable with, and make sure it's good quality for the value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Okay, Then

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe your friend spent that much. To be honest I can't believe men today still want to get married, but that's besides the point. That 15k could help so many people in the world. I wouldn't care if I was a billionaire, I'd never waste that kind of money on a stupid god damn ring.
The thread topic, I believe, is 'what is a reasonable amount to pay for a woman's wedding ring'...not running off at the jibs about not believing men still want to get married today (I'm married, and I enjoy it...marriage isn't for everyone, and I ain't here to try and SAY it is, for the record)

I'll also say, on-topic, that my wife and I picked out each other's rings...I just wanted a plain band, and I picked out a nice, affordable set for her, seeing as how we both had been married before...it's also not my place to say what other folk should spend, but I'm sorry, I don't think much of rings that can be seen from the observation deck of the International Space Station...

That being said, you probably could have made your point a little better here by saying 'I'd never waste that kind of money on a stupid ring'...yeah, I know---those of you who read my posts know I get a little colorful myself on occasion, but saying 'god damn' in this context is a bit much, don't ya think?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Bingo!

He put a lot of thought and a lot of love into this purchase and that's ultimately what matters, not the price tag. Spend what you're comfortable with, and make sure it's good quality for the value.
See, guys? This is the kind of down-to-earth, sensible, caring girl you want to look for. Case closed.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Well I have to admit, I 'm very materialistic. I'm sure whomever I would marry would be as materialistic as me. I've dated women who weren't very materialistic, and it hasn't really worked for me in the past. I simply never understand where they are coming from, and to be honest with you non-materialistic women are a little on the boring side. I'm the type of guy who loves doing nice things for my woman to show her my appreciation. I have an uncle who dates a pretty materliastic woman. I don't question their love for one another. They always lavish each other with expensive gifts. I'm the type of guy who loves taking a woman to a nice expensive restauraunt, or buy her expensive drinks. And for Christmas or my birthday it's returned with equally expensive gifts.

With that said, I don't think some $300 ring will do the woman I want to marry any justice. I would feel terrible if I was able to get away with something like that. However, if you want to show some thought, and STILL give her a nice ring, what would be the price range. Is $10+ excessive? Is $2,000 to $4,000 reasonable?

I take great pleasure in watching materialistic people suffer.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See, guys? This is the kind of down-to-earth, sensible, caring girl you want to look for. Case closed.
A girl that also enjoys giving can be pretty cool too.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
A girl that also enjoys giving can be pretty cool too.
Ring-buying and gifting often is mutual. He buys her rings, she buys his rings.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ring-buying and gifting often is mutual. He buys her rings, she buys his rings.
You mean the metal band, right? As women (not married, not sharing a bank account) buying a man an engagement ring, or something as expensive, is almost unheard of. Not that it is bad or good. It's just that women are not known for spending money on a man as the other way around. Each couple does as they feel like and that is the way most couples seem to go.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,509 times
Jesus it never ends.....

Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
You mean the metal band, right? As women (not married, not sharing a bank account) buying a man an engagement ring, or something as expensive, is almost unheard of. Not that it is bad or good. It's just that women are not known for spending money on a man as the other way around. Each couple does as they feel like and that is the way most couples seem to go.
If it is neither bad nor good, why continually make passive-aggressive and snide remarks about it?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
So - what exactly is your opinion on this? That a man should only buy a ring of equal or lesser value than the one that is given to him? Nothing because the woman should buy the man an engagement ring and not the other way around? Nothing because you won't buy a woman a ring? Nothing because you don't believe in marriage? $1000? $500? $5?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships