Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I do have to say one thing.
People shouldn't be into marriage or want marriage for marriage itself.
You should want to marry because you met someone you want to be with forever.

It shouldn't be a blind hatred of the institution itself. But it shouldn't be blindly wanting to be married for the sake of being married, either.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Elaborate
You should marry because of the benefits of marriage. There is a reason the government gives so many benefits to marriage and cohabiting couples have to jump through hoops to achieve similar benefits. The fairy tale of love goes so far. People marry all of the time because the emotion overwhelms them and they can't control themselves. Those same people get divorced. Think with your mind not with your heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
A quote from a favorite movie of mine '48 Hours'...I've used it here before, and it applies again in this situation, to wit:

"Just because YOU say somethin' with conviction, it don't mean s**t to me!"

As in, you can quote jackleg statistics, pull up all the old polls you want, and quote as many bitter-beer drinking hack-a** whiny bloggers you want, but in the end I don't have to accept the BS they spout as anything approaching gospel, or truth...are you (expletive) kiddin' me?

And if you step to me running your mouth and lip flapping about why YOU think marriage sucks, well, I'll do one of two things: I'll tell you that your experience ain't the same as mine, and I enjoy being married to my wife...or if I'm in a somewhat surly mood that day, I'll be blunt and tell you to go (expletive) off and whine to somebody else about that mess...and I've been feeling somewhat surly quite a lot lately
How many times have you married an re-married. Definiton of insanity much?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
You should marry because of the benefits of marriage. There is a reason the government gives so many benefits to marriage and cohabiting couples have to jump through hoops to achieve similar benefits. The fairy tale of love goes so far. People marry all of the time because the emotion overwhelms them and they can't control themselves. Those same people get divorced. Think with your mind not with your heart.

How many times have you married an re-married. Definiton of insanity much?
Some people are able to think with both.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
But she exists.

Why are you blaming all women for changes in social expectations? You are indirectly blaming me and I am much more traditional. I have nothing to do with the changes.

Are you wanting a woman who will pick up your dirty socks for you when you mindlessly throw them on the floor?
I've found that there is definitely a 'theme' with the guys that constantly rail against marriage... they basically want a woman that will do whatever they say without question. They want a woman who will stay at home, never speak up, never have an opinion and basically take care of them like a mother would. They want Stepford Wives. Women with remote controls.

They don't want to treat women like actual human beings with feelings, they're just play things to mess around with until they get bored and go out to find another one.

And this is FACT. And apparently, when one says that on this board (especially men) it's irrefutable.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And here I was thinking you were a hateful women basher. Now I realize you're just a hateful, nasty person all around.
It took you this long to figure it out?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Alright Woodrow...You Want Direct? You Got It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
If you were blunt and direct, like every man should be, we wouldnt see the passive aggresivness of disagreeing with me through replying to others. Its quite alright, this world needs the feminine men too.
You can just table that 'my poop don't stink' act of yours...I've been a man, non-feminine variety thank you, since day one...balls intact and all that

I will reply however I please, wherever I please, whenever I please, and using whatever tone I please...I don't recall asking for, or needing for that matter, your condescending little blessing to navigate this forum, or anything else for that matter

You really need to get out of the business of throwing your snarky remarks at people who frankly don't give a rabid rat's a** about 'em

In short, I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, verbatim, and I'm sorry you felt I was being 'feminine' (WTF??!! ) because I didn't stop to kiss your ring, or points rearward and southward...I replied IN and TO THAT POST, the way I felt like, BECAUSE I felt like it, and if I violated some unwritten chat-forum commandment, well boo-frickin-hoo about that, because you can do nothing about it, or me, other than to look down your nose and call me a name

Gee folks...did any of what I just said sound passive-aggressive to you? I dunno

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Some people are able to think with both.
I have my doubts but no matter. Whenever I hear of a friend or co-worker divorcing. I just think "just another statistic'. You shouldn't try to think with your heart. That's not it's function and it will screw up. It controls blood flow. Your brain does the thinking and if you let it have the sole responsibility of thought. It will do a better job and you can come up with better conclusions.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I love how reams of compiled statistical data can be so simply and easily dismissed, and replaced once again by disregard for anything but a general point painted with a very broad brush.

I suppose haters are just going to hate.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I have my doubts but no matter. Whenever I hear of a friend or co-worker divorcing. I just think "just another statistic'. You shouldn't try to think with your heart. That's not it's function and it will screw up. It controls blood flow. Your brain does the thinking and if you let it have the sole responsibility of thought. It will do a better job and you can come up with better conclusions.
All I can say is that I can't imagine living my life with out listening to my heart. What a sad, lonely world that would be.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
We may not agree on the value of marriage, but what you said here is GOLD. Far too many people marry without thinking with their brain. They ignore obvious warning signs that would predict problems down the road, letting their emotions blind them.

The success rate of marriage would be far better, if far more people thought analytically with their brain about what they were getting into, about themselves, and about the person they are marrying.

(Sure, having your heart involved is part of marriage too, and maybe that is what Dew is referring to, you marry someone because you love them, but also because you have thought things through with your heart on the sidelines to make sure it is a wise decision, as well as a loving one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships