Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
The reality is that *every* marriage has a prenup. Either you sign one, or the state you divorce in dictates one to you. Think about it.

Prenups aren't worth the paper they are printed on in Colorado. They are generally ignored by judges after five years or so on the basis that the people signing could not have known what their future held.
It varies state to state, but pre ups usually only define debts and assets pre marriage. You can find a snake oil lawyer to draft up whatever you want, but its a waste and will be ignored in court.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But see - this is what I don't get. I understand that marriage isn't for you. I don't think I'm better than you because I'm married. Why do you think you are better than me because you aren't?
I am better than the married life. I'm better than having to have a dark cloud hanging over my head and hoping and praying I don't screw up or I will pay for it. I'm better than the idea of the government only seeing me as one half of a person. I don't want someone who could do certain things in my name. Marriage just opens the door to the other person to ruin your life. If they don't then don't but the institution itself opens so many doors for your spouse to cut you down if they want to for any reason. I'm better than having to prove my commitment (by killing half of myself) to anyone when I live it everyday.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
Quote:
It varies state to state, but pre ups usually only define debts and assets pre marriage. You can find a snake oil lawyer to draft up whatever you want, but its a waste and will be ignored in court
You can write whatever the hell you want. I know that in most places it won't be enforceable, but you just might get a judge who will enforce it. It is only reasonable, hold people to what they promise.

What I envision is a pre-nup that says all the moral stuff, and possibly even leaves out the possibility of divorce (like, if you're catholic, me, I'd go for fault-only), but acknowledges that the realm of man, i.e. law, in our current situation, may not enforce this, and THEN in THAT CASE, the contract would revert a severability clause (or a few of them), which then spells out a dryer, bones-only pre nup that only prevents alimony and partitioning of assets however you want it

Ultimately, my proposal is that marriage laws be changed to be like this, and make people's contracts enforceable. This solves the gay-marriage thing, because it's just contracts (though I wouldn't try to pass the law like that, I'd market it as barring gay marriage at first, but there'd be a severability clause in the case of a finding of unconstituionality).

Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I am better than the married life. I'm better than having to have a dark cloud hanging over my head and hoping and praying I don't screw up or I will pay for it. I'm better than the idea of the government only seeing me as one half of a person. I don't want someone who could do certain things in my name. Marriage just opens the door to the other person to ruin your life. If they don't then don't but the institution itself opens so many doors for your spouse to cut you down if they want to for any reason. I'm better than having to prove my commitment (by killing half of myself) to anyone when I live it everyday.
So - you're scared of marriage. That's basically what you are saying. That's totally fine. Nobody is forcing you to get married. Personally, my husband and I love being married but we certainly aren't going to force it on anyone else. And I don't look down on people who aren't married. To each their own.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
You can write whatever the hell you want. I know that in most places it won't be enforceable, but you just might get a judge who will enforce it. It is only reasonable, hold people to what they promise.

What I envision is a pre-nup that says all the moral stuff, and possibly even leaves out the possibility of divorce (like, if you're catholic, me, I'd go for fault-only), but acknowledges that the realm of man, i.e. law, in our current situation, may not enforce this, and THEN in THAT CASE, the contract would revert a severability clause (or a few of them), which then spells out a dryer, bones-only pre nup that only prevents alimony and partitioning of assets however you want it

Ultimately, my proposal is that marriage laws be changed to be like this, and make people's contracts enforceable. This solves the gay-marriage thing, because it's just contracts (though I wouldn't try to pass the law like that, I'd market it as barring gay marriage at first, but there'd be a severability clause in the case of a finding of unconstituionality).
Bro, nobody cares.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Cow

153 posts, read 202,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I would get married if I found the right guy
Hi!

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So - you're scared of marriage. That's basically what you are saying. That's totally fine. Nobody is forcing you to get married. Personally, my husband and I love being married but we certainly aren't going to force it on anyone else. And I don't look down on people who aren't married. To each their own.
I'm not scared of it at all. That's not what I was saying. It's useless and irrelevant to me. It doesn't benefit my life nor does it add anything to my life so why do it? It just adds more avenues for failure and complicates things. You need to be better at understanding what I say. It goes against my values as I value individuality. Marriage is not about individuality.

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
Quote:
You should talk to IDDY. Both so convinced that you are better than other people, both moralizing your personal preferences. Both delusional.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
Quote:
Bro, nobody cares.
If you mean it's not enforceable, then yeah, like I said, I understand that.

However, it is a good way to ask for a prenup, because it is outright saying to your girl that you are willing to make a commitment

and I think it's one of the best options for reforming marriage law (creating a contractual option in law for marriage like I explained)

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
Quote:
I'm not scared of it at all. That's not what I was saying. It's useless and irrelevant to me. It doesn't benefit my life nor does it add anything to my life so why do it? It just adds more avenues for failure and complicates things. You need to be better at understanding what I say. It goes against my values as I value individuality. Marriage is not about individuality.
So you're afraid of failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships