Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times

Advertisements

LOVE THIS and I say good for him! I can't stand worksheets and packets and I rarely use them.

High School student Jeff Bliss decided to give his teacher a lecture - YouTube

Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I, in general, love teachers. That being said the teachers unions have hijacked too much power and they only seem to care about their power... I'm not saying all the teachers, but certainly enough to keep the unions strong, the bad ones practically can't get fired...... at least here in Ca. They pay and benefits are through the roof, as are all public employees here. It's a major issue, the pensions and health benefits are costing the state billions of dollars.

Every time you turn around there is another proposition on the ballet to get more money for schools. The LAUSDs budget is larger then some countries at 7.3 billions dollars and some study found out that only smallish portion actually makes it to students... so much is lost in the bureaucracy....

I wish I had a job that had very little accountability and the killer benefits, and job security of the teachers here in So Cal....

That documentary, "Waiting for Superman" really outlines the whole subject nicely...

But, like I said, I really do appreciate the hard working teachers that try and make a difference.... it's a tough job, and I certainly don't know if I could deal with some of the kids, at least in public schools..... a lot of them are monsters... LOL

Waiting for 'Superman' (2010) - Plot Summary

Los Angeles Unified School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
I went through most of my school life doing packets with teachers not actually educating the students.

The school I went to had many old teachers who were retiring out within a year, or some of them going through mid-life crisis and just not caring. We had one teacher who was going through a divorce, walk around handing out packets at the beginning of the class, then going back to sit on his desk and falling asleep.

I wasn't happy with my high school experience when it came to teachers and the education I got.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM

What is this 'packet' nonsense. I've never heard of this......

Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
LOVE THIS and I say good for him! I can't stand worksheets and packets and I rarely use them.

High School student Jeff Bliss decided to give his teacher a lecture - YouTube
WOW! What the heck is going on with the education system that prompted such passion from that young man, that was disheartening. Not to say, I don't have a clue. I'm with chow, I have much respect for educators, my sister was a special needs teacher in a very difficult area of NYC. In my youth, once listed English teacher as one of my interest, I was told I should aim higher by the person that was counseling me at the time. There's not much of a higher aim than to aspire to be one of those, people,within the educational profession that bring forth the best out of our youth. Wish I realized that back then. Plus my writing would probably have continued to improve and remained in tact as I aged. Sigh.

never heard of this packet thing, what is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I, in general, love teachers. That being said the teachers unions have hijacked too much power and they only seem to care about their power... I'm not saying all the teachers, but certainly enough to keep the unions strong, the bad ones practically can't get fired...... at least here in Ca. They pay and benefits are through the roof, as are all public employees here. It's a major issue, the pensions and health benefits are costing the state billions of dollars.

Every time you turn around there is another proposition on the ballet to get more money for schools. The LAUSDs budget is larger then some countries at 7.3 billions dollars and some study found out that only smallish portion actually makes it to students... so much is lost in the bureaucracy....

I wish I had a job that had very little accountability and the killer benefits, and job security of the teachers here in So Cal....

That documentary, "Waiting for Superman" really outlines the whole subject nicely...

But, like I said, I really do appreciate the hard working teachers that try and make a difference.... it's a tough job, and I certainly don't know if I could deal with some of the kids, at least in public schools..... a lot of them are monsters... LOL

never heard of this packet thing, what is that

Waiting for 'Superman' (2010) - Plot Summary

Am embarrassed to say, I thought you were posting a link to the new Superman movie. LOL I was going to comment on how much I'm looking forward to seeing it. However, the documentary, looks much more interesting, I will be sure to check that. It's going on wait, just went over to my local library site and put it on hold. YAY, I should have it in the coming week.

Los Angeles Unified School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2013, 01:43 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What is this 'packet' nonsense. I've never heard of this......
Packets are just a bunch of worksheets on the same concept/topic, stapled together. It's busy work. Nobody learns from packets. Well, some students do...but the majority of students do not.

Most teachers I know do not use packets and worksheets to teach. They do have their place but they are just a tool, not a teaching strategy (which was the argument this boy was making).

As for the pay and benefits, I don't agree with unions but without unions you have a state like NC. The benefits are mediocre and the pay is terrible. My family would be at poverty level if I was the sole earner and that is not an exaggeration. The teachers here finally got a 1.2% raise (first one since 2008) and it takes 15yrs to hit 40K here.

That said, I don't teach for the money but it would be nice to be fairly compensated. I do love my job though.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Packets are just a bunch of worksheets on the same concept/topic, stapled together. It's busy work. Nobody learns from packets. Well, some students do...but the majority of students do not.

Most teachers I know do not use packets and worksheets to teach. They do have their place but they are just a tool, not a teaching strategy (which was the argument this boy was making).

As for the pay and benefits, I don't agree with unions but without unions you have a state like NC. The benefits are mediocre and the pay is terrible. My family would be at poverty level if I was the sole earner and that is not an exaggeration. The teachers here finally got a 1.2% raise (first one since 2008) and it takes 15yrs to hit 40K here.

That said, I don't teach for the money but it would be nice to be fairly compensated. I do love my job though.
It seems like the south in general doesn't pay as well.... but yeah, need to have something between what we have here and what you guys have there......

I've mentioned before that I've toyed with the idea of becoming a teacher, I don't think I could handle the pay cut at this point.... although the bennies are good.....

Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:

I had a science teacher who would have us copy notes for days on end from sheets she put on the overhead projector. I remember nothing from that class.

We fostered a dog once- FAILED!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Chowhound: I think we are about the same age . . . remember the mimmeographed (sp?) pages we used to get when we were kids? Picture those stapled together. A stapled "packet" on whatever topic in history that is being covered at the given time, same with science, etc.

Do kids even do fieldtrips anymore?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Who taught modern day cro-magnon man who to use a computer? Neanderthal man was more advanced then some of these window lickers... Makes me appreciate my wife and how we function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships