Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
I think there is some real ignorance displayed here regarding the difference between bigorexia/muscle dysmorphia/body dysmorphia versus someone that's a gym rat/muscular person.

Generally speaking, bigorexia/muscle dysmorphia/body dysmorphia (which I'll just call body dysmorphia) is a mental condition where the person has delusions that he is smaller than reality. The person lets this delusion affect his personal life (such as jobs, relationships, etc). This person is obsessed with increasing muscle mass by any means necessary. This condition also brings in typical mood behaviors such as depression, low self esteem, anger, anxiety, etc. This person will also become distressed over missing a day at the gym.
I feel like it's important to point out that general body dysmorphia isn't actually confined to concern about muscle bulk. The most common forms of body dysmorphia, even for men, are focused on perceived flaws in facial appearance...imagined flaws relating to hair and skin and facial features top the list by far among BDD sufferers. Anxiety relating to build is more common in male BDD sufferers than female, but it's still nowhere near as common as warped perception about one's facial features. There are assuredly BDD sufferers who don't have a focus at all on muscles or gymgoing. Body dysmorphia isn't about a person envisioning himself as smaller than reality (although it can be). It's about a person who sees something in the mirror that simply isn't reality or what others perceive or see (just like anorexia, in fact). It's not just limited to guys who feel like they're not built. It's also people who look in the mirror and see distorted facial features that aren't, in fact, distorted at all. People who imagine hair loss when there is no hair loss. It's about people who are utterly convinced their bodies are disproportionate, when, in fact, they are perfectly proportionate. It's about people who legitimately perceive their skin to be loaded with flaws, when in fact, they have an occasional pimple. It's about any number of ways a person can have legitimately disordered perception regarding his or her appearance...and that this disordered thinking is more than occasional garden-variety insecurity that's in and out of their mind and easily moved on from...when it is someting that seriously emotionally impacts their lives, choices, how they live, and their relationship with others, leads to obsessions, compulsions, self-inflicted social isolation, generally seriously damages quality of life.

It's really not just thinking "I'm not muscle-y enough." That's a major oversimplification for something that's really sad, scary, and a very difficult to successfully treat mental illness. True body dysmorphia has such an alarmingly high rate of major depression, despondence, self-harm, and even suicide. People are utterly convinced that they are hideous and that life isn't worth living, in too many cases.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 02-12-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
The thing about using really heavy weights, is that it does absolutely nothing for you, other than ability to brag about it. You seriously dont need anything heavier than 25 lbs to get in the best shape of your life. In fact, when dealing with super heavy weights you are much more prone to injury. As for OP, there is a huge difference between wanting to be fit, healthy and ripped and bein g a meathead who spends 30 hours a week at the gym. Working out for guys is reallly, really beneficial and I couldnt stress that enough. Without any doubt, women will notice you alot more, despite what they will tell you, but biggest benefits of it are health, increased self confidence, self esteem and happiness and being in great shape. At 36, I got into best shape of my life using p90x, p90x2 and Insanity programs. ALl workouts done at home averaging about 45 minutes a day. Best decision i ever made.
I only lift really, really heavy weight (nothing less than 225 excluding warm-ups), and I guarantee it does something for you. If you think it does nothing for you, you are out of your mind. I play judo and my stength is my greatest advantage. I am 38, and I have never had a gym injury.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Quote:
Without any doubt, women will notice you alot more, despite what they will tell you
Back when I was ripped I only noticed more attention from women when I'd have my shirt off while on vacation in Rocky Point, SN, Mexico. I dont think women notice your physique in every day life unless you're just huge and they happen to be the type of women that are attracted bulky men.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM

451 posts, read 562,307 times
Quote:
The thing about using really heavy weights, is that it does absolutely nothing for you, other than ability to brag about it. You seriously dont need anything heavier than 25 lbs to get in the best shape of your life. In fact, when dealing with super heavy weights you are much more prone to injury. As for OP, there is a huge difference between wanting to be fit, healthy and ripped and bein g a meathead who spends 30 hours a week at the gym.
You don't know what you are talking about.
Firstly, this thread is not about the difference between wanting to be fit, healthy and ripped versus being a "meathead".
Secondly, I agree with David Dollar on this one. Lifting heavy absolutely does have its benefits over lifting lighter and its not just about "bragging". You should do a basic google search on "lifting heavy versus lifting light" and you will find hundreds of reasons why one is beneficial over the other. I'm not going to say one is better than the other since we all have our own personal goals.

I agree that you can get in the best shape of your life lifting light weights as one could get in the best shape of his life doing long distance running. It's all based on the person's goals. But for you to say that "using really heavy weights does absolutely nothing for you" only displays your ignorance on the subject.
And yes, I agree that lifting heavy makes you more prone to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I feel like it's important to point out that general body dysmorphia isn't actually confined to concern about muscle bulk. The most common forms of body dysmorphia, even for men, are focused on perceived flaws in facial appearance...imagined flaws relating to hair and skin and facial features top the list by far among BDD sufferers...[.]

It's really not just thinking "I'm not muscle-y enough." That's a major oversimplification for something that's really sad, scary, and a very difficult to successfully treat mental illness. True body dysmorphia has such an alarmingly high rate of major depression, despondence, self-harm, and even suicide. People are utterly convinced that they are hideous and that life isn't worth living, in too many cases.
I agree with your entire post. But for the purpose of staying on topic, I was speaking specifically as to bigorexia, a type of body dysmorphia. Bigorexia is a oversimplification of body dysmorphia which can take on many forms.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Back when I was ripped I only noticed more attention from women when I'd have my shirt off while on vacation in Rocky Point, SN, Mexico. I dont think women notice your physique in every day life unless you're just huge and they happen to be the type of women that are attracted bulky men.
I agree with you^^^^

I prefer a man who's more athletic looking than a body builder

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I have pretty solid muscle definition, but I'm slim. I don't think most women notice because I don't try to show off how "ripped" I am with the way I dress.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I have pretty solid muscle definition, but I'm slim. I don't think most women notice because I don't try to show off how "ripped" I am with the way I dress.
That's a good thing, most of us don't like show offs plus whoever your with gets a nice surprise when the shirt comes off

Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yeah exactly. Unless you're the type of guy that wears those douche bag clubbing shirts that are two sized too small, women aren't going to notice your physique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships