Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM

223 posts, read 207,830 times

Advertisements

When I was married my husband did all the vacuuming, then when he left I had a minor domestic crisis cos I couldn't find the vacuum cleaner.

I reallly, really miss him. I hate vacuuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds&pearls View Post
I hate vacuuming.
Vacuuming is easy. It's dusting I hate.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
Man works and does the outdoor duties..

All I want my wife to do is to cook, clean and take care of my babies. That's the reason why anyone wants a wife anyway.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
There are actually a lot of things that my husband won't let me do. Although sometimes he has to teach me how and let me do it out of necessity. But he doesn't let me do them because he's afraid I'll hurt myself. And I don't blame him at all!!!
I'm "not allowed" to paint or mow the lawn or rake the leaves because I do it "wrong". Fine by me! lol

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm "not allowed" to paint or mow the lawn or rake the leaves because I do it "wrong". Fine by me! lol
LOL! I'm not allowed to paint because I do it "wrong," too!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
I think there should be some sort of equality in time spent on labor, unless one party is ill or one party's work is particularly strenuous. Dh stays home, I work outside the home, and he probably averages 2-3 hrs a day on domestic work, including cooking, dishes, Bill-paying, and minimal cleaning. I would also include in that time calling around obsessively to various companies pricing home improvements we can't afford and don't need. I work a full-time job and spend a minimum of 3 hrs 20 minutes per day commuting, and I put in a fair number of weekend hours working remotely. Although I don't do a whole lot around the house and there are some extenuating circumstances in my husband's favor (a mental heath condition), I think he's not doing enough. I could be wrong, I guess.

I don't understand why men feel that women should have to work all day at the office and then come home and cater, possibly not even getting enough time to sleep,while the male day should be 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep, and 8 hours of being catered to and entertained. My Dad had those expectations and was otherwise a decent guy. I guess they see their parents function this way and come to believe that this inequality is normal.

Last edited by forum_browser; 02-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: I remembered more stuff hubby does

Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
We were both single and self sufficient for a long time before we got together. That means we are both comfortable and capable of doing any or all of our chores. We tend to gravitate towards the ones we prefer, but we don't have set rules about it. We just do whatever needs to be done.

We both work and don't have kids.

My favorite scenario is for us to decide we're going to clean house and do chores for an hour or so on the weekend. We'll put on some good music and get to work.

We don't clean together. We clean different areas simultaneously. It's nice.

Last edited by ellie; 02-11-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
As i have expressed in previous posts, i strongly disagree with this behavior in a world where both men and women are working full-time jobs.

I do not support men sitting on the couch drinking a cold beer while their wife cooks, cleans, does the dishes, bathes the kids, and works her ass off taking care of things around the house. Guys need to be a grown-ass man and do 50% of the work cleaning their houses. Why would a man make his wife clean up after him? If the man really hates housecleaning that much, he should hire a cleaning service. If i ever get married (Fear not, ladies of city-data, i'm still single and women are still being mean to me... i know some of you experienced a moment of pure terror at the thought of a woman being married to me) but if i ever DO by some crazy chance get married, my wife and i will each do 50% of the household chores, and then we will BOTH get some time to relax. I'll sit on the couch rubbing her feet while we both enjoy have a glass of wine.

I want to see how often this goes on in the year 2013, and also I want to give you ladies dealing with this crap a chance to vent about it.
Another reason men arent in a rush to get married. We can do all the things you listed by ourselves for free. If we are going to give up our freedom, risk getting taken to the cleaners, risk our financial freedom, pay for the wedding ring etc that is the least that you can do.

Remember we can cook and clean ourself without signing the marriage contract. If we still have to do household duties why get married when we can do that ourself and keep our freedom.

An article came out a few weeks ago stating the men who do household chores get less sex from their wife

Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Another reason men arent in a rush to get married. We can do all the things you listed by ourselves for free. If we are going to give up our freedom, risk getting taken to the cleaners, risk our financial freedom, pay for the wedding ring etc that is the least that you can do.

Remember we can cook and clean ourself without signing the marriage contract. If we still have to do household duties why get married when we can do that ourself and keep our freedom.

An article came out a few weeks ago stating the men who do household chores get less sex from their wife
The converse of that, of course, is a woman doesn't need a man to eat nowadays. We can make our own money, thank you. So why should we give up our freedom to become your full time maid and child raiser on top of a job, not to mention the expectation that you will be bopped on demand. That penis does not shoot sparks nor does it give out free chocolates. You can keep that sh*t.

Everybody's giving up something bub. Get over yourself. LOL

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The converse of that, of course, is a woman doesn't need a man to eat nowadays. We can make our own money, thank you. So why should we give up our freedom to become your full time maid and child raiser on top of a job, not to mention the expectation that you will be bopped on demand. That penis does not shoot sparks nor does it give out free chocolates. You can keep that sh*t.

Everybody's giving up something bub. Get over yourself. LOL
Ishhhh yall are the ones begging use to get married lol. I'm happy have my own name on my bank account, my own freedom, my own money to spend whenever I want, etc. There is no reason to get married if I still have to do the things I did when I was single
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships