Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I think there is a fine line between pretension and intelligence. Just because she tosses in the word logophile doesn't make her intelligent.
For sure. I would never assume someone is intelligent based on one word in a profile. I'd have to go on a date (or at least have a conversation with her) to know for sure, but I would take it as a good indicator that, if accompanied by a few other indicators, would lead me to believe she is intelligent. In my several years of online dating, I noticed a pretty good correlation between the quality of vocabulary and writing in a profile and the person's actual verbal intelligence. Sure, a stupid person could theoretically look up some big words or have a smarter person create their profile, but they tend not to, in my experience, probably because they're not looking to attract intelligent partners. They want 2 meet hott guyz n party!!!!11!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 AM

650 posts, read 701,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is the joy and curse of online dating. There's always more options, but when do stop chasing more options? Sometimes you just have to take a risk and see how someone is, even if the picture isn't painted as clear as you would like. If you are out looking for the perfect online specimen, you will end up alone. Your perfect may not be her perfect.

I'm not saying everyone is worthy online, but everyone throws around the "there's more profiles" term a bit much. It waters down why you are even online in the first place. No one is there to really be a serial PMer or serial dater.
Too many "options" (too much male competition) in NYC.

Tis far easier and better to be a fish in a small pond than to be a fish in a big ocean.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Too many "options" (too much male competition) in NYC.

Tis far easier and better to be a fish in a small pond than to be a fish in a big ocean.
Man...I couldn't disagree more. I haven't tried to date in NYC, but in Chicago I love the large pool of women available, even if I have to compete with more men. There are so many women that I could theoretically lose that competition 90% of the time and still have plenty to choose from. When I lived in a small town it was depressing to know that there were, like, 8 single women who met my basic criteria and I had already dated half of them and been turned down by half of the rest. The big ocean is great by comparison, at least for me.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Morrissey?
Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships