Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
True, but wouldn't you dress for those certain situations?

In an office environment if a woman comes dressed in a low cut, cleavage exposing blouse with a push-up bra, with a skirt that hugs her bottom, damn straight I am going to look. I will keep it professional, (try to) keep eye contact, and get on with my day, but yes, some checking out will be done.

Normal business attire will not attract the same attention.

Sure, there is a gray area here, and I do not want to blame the victim. But the extent to which you are going to be checked out ( male or female) is going to be proportional to your attractiveness, what you wear, how you present yourself, and the situation. You do have some control over this.

Well of course if its for a night out or something your going to dress up which in turn will probably attract more attention than if your just going about your daily business in normal attire.

If a women goes to work dressed like that she's asking for attention, personally I don't think that's appropriate. I use to work in a gym so I had to wear uniform (t-shirt and sweats) which was obviously not attractive yet I still got attention sometimes it made me really uncomfortable especially when they ask you out or ask for your number but the guys who just checked me out I just laughed it off and tried to be professional. There is a fine line that you have to maintain, in my job I had to be hands on, friendly, helpful, I had to go around and talk to people make them feel comfortable yet I had to come across professional to ensure they were not mistaking my attention as "interest".

So yes I agree, how you present yourself is very important in a working environment to ensure you maintain boundaries between other colleagues or clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Yes. Do I get a prize?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes. Do I get a prize?
Sure do. Nice profile pic.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I usually turn around to see who they are checking out.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
If it's a stranger, I guess it's ok...But I would not want my boss, a friend's husband, or a male relative doing it. See the difference?

But then there is a fine line between checking out and leering, the latter of which is discomforting.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
Please admit it.........you like it when a guy is checking you out, don't you?

I don't mean in a perverted kind of way. You see a guy checking you out as you walk by him and you look slightly to the side to see if he's still checking you out after you've past him by.

I get caught everytime..........oh well. I adore you gals.

So just admit it, you like it, that's why you look to see if we're still looking at you're backside when you walk by.

Ladies, be honest, for once.
Actually, no. I don't like it when the guy checking me out is someone who I would never consider dating.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
Please admit it.........you like it when a guy is checking you out, don't you?

I don't mean in a perverted kind of way. You see a guy checking you out as you walk by him and you look slightly to the side to see if he's still checking you out after you've past him by.

I get caught everytime..........oh well. I adore you gals.

So just admit it, you like it, that's why you look to see if we're still looking at you're backside when you walk by.

Ladies, be honest, for once.

It depends on how I'm feeling that day, but I guess a guy checking me out makes my day a little better

Especially if he's attractive himslf

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If it's a stranger, I guess it's ok...But I would not want my boss, a friend's husband, or a male relative doing it. See the difference?

But then there is a fine line between checking out and leering, the latter of which is discomforting.
It's not that fine a line. Checking out is an appreciative glance that can relatively easily be explained away. One of those social fictions we all accept.

Leering is undisguised staring.

If you cannot discreetly appreciate someone's appearance, you are a lech. If it becomes obvious to the point where everyone knows what is happening, you have gone too far.

Elaine made a good point about the gym she worked in. Everyone does a little checking out at the gym. Nobody is wearing much, and the environment is all about the physical. Yes, your butt is going to be observed, but the the person needs to get back to the weights. Yet we all ignore this low level of observation.

If some guys eyes never leave your chest, that is beyond acceptable.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I usually turn around to see who they are checking out.

Haha

Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If some guys eyes never leave your chest, that is beyond acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships